Any BOWLLIARDS / BOWLING game fans out there?

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Finally received a new set of replacement Aramith snooker greens from my great friend Albert who owns the famous Fort Worth Billiards - not an easy task considering how tight Aramith holds onto their individual balls

Makes for a fun practice-play evening of Bowlliards

6407ffcfb4c05f8d8cfbeb6f9b03d379.jpg

Rack em!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keith Jawahir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here are the KEY POINTS I will summarize that make up the current "Official" rule set for Bowlliards:

1) Opening break shot is without requirements or penalties - even a scratch or jumped ball. The FOUL PENALTY only begins after the break shot. Discussed in #5 below. break from the spot, I like to use a medium stroke and let the cueball drift back into the middle of the table.

2) All balls pocketed on the opening break shot are spotted. Basically all you want to do is scatter the 10 object balls with minimal clusters to ensure the easiest run-out possibility. pocketed balls stay down

3) after the break shot, the player MUST take the cue ball in hand anywhere behind the head string to begin the first "inning" of the current FRAME. And all legal object balls must of course lie outside the kitchen to be considered a legal ball for this first shot. ALL SHOTS are called. No sloppy play. Any subsequent balls other than the called ball are spotted. Basically, you must earn each shot. no ball in hand after the break. forced me to learn how to use a more controlled break.

4) after any MISSED shot, the cue ball plays from where it lies on the table. And only IF a cue ball scratch occurs while shooting, the cue ball must once again be taken in hand from behind the head string.

5) ANY FOUL after the opening break shot is a ONE POINT PENALTY that can simply be kept track of for totaling the game score at the very end. It does not stipulate that the FRAME SCORE must be adjusted - which would radically alter the scoring concepts anyway for this game.

6) the only way you can EARN a "STRIKE" and score it as such, is that after the opening break shot to begin each me FRAME, you must run all 10 balls without a miss (remember, CALL SHOT) and commit no fouls.

7) you get two tries each FRAME to pocket all 10 balls. Miss once (or foul) you begin try number 2 of that FRAME - and if you can clear the remaining balls, you earn a SPARE. The penalties for missing a strike or spare opportunity are significant, so give that serious concentration and never take any shot for granted. Open frames (where neither a strike or a spare can be counted) are bad news. Very bad.

8) a player NEVER gets cue ball in hand anywhere on the table. Ever. Whenever the BIH rules require such a play, it is always from behind the head string - and a legal ball must lie outside the "kitchen".

9) any ball pocketed on a FOUL are of course spotted - remember, every ball must be EARNED. Also, any FOUL requires a one point penalty to be deducted from the final bowling game score after all 10 FRAMES.

10) lastly - this blurb precedes the rule set in the "Official" book: Except when clearly contradicted by these additional rules, the General Rules of Pocket Billiards apply.

Did I cover all the possible questions?

Let's bowl!

K.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I learned this in Japan years ago, with some rule variations that I've highlighted. Very good practice game to gauge your offensive capability. I remember struggling to score 25 when I first started, then 50 when I left Japan. A few weeks ago I hit my highest score yet of 207. There are great scoring apps on both Android and iOS, should be pretty easy to find.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I learned this in Japan years ago, with some rule variations that I've highlighted. Very good practice game to gauge your offensive capability. I remember struggling to score 25 when I first started, then 50 when I left Japan. A few weeks ago I hit my highest score yet of 207. There are great scoring apps on both Android and iOS, should be pretty easy to find.

Great to hear you play and enjoy the game, Keith! Bowlliards had indeed become a favorite practice-play game with many of my friends

The rule variations you listed are common ones that I've heard of over the years as well, and any rule can be agree upon of course before play between "bowlers", like most games people play.

The rules and explanations and FAQs that I listed and wrote about are the published rules adopted by the BCA here in the USA -- with the general idea that each frame begins with all 10 balls on the table after the break and ball in hand behind the head string - which indeed eliminates any luck or bad luck to begin a frame. Emphasis in this game is definitely ball pocketing and cue ball control, with the sole purpose of the break to randomly (and smartly I might add) scatter the 10 object balls like the technique you listed. Since there is no push out rule or safety play at all in Bowlliards, the BIH behind the head string is essential to the game and allows universal scoring and handicapping.

So, whenever you'd like to coordinate a bowling match and we both play by the same rules and share scoring after every other frame or so until the end of the 10th, let me know - I'm game!

K

worktheknight

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
my practice has been made up of mostly shooting bowlliards since 1986. The types of tables can easily make a difference to the total average. I have a 8 foot table at home and it has fairly tight pockets where hangers can crunch a score.

I do however, break the ten balls and play the cue ball where it lays. This also can mess a good score up, but, it adds a element to the game instead of starting with ball in hand every time.

I also leave balls pocketed on the break down. I do not bring them back up. I have played over 2,500 full frames or 25,000 + racks of bowlliards and still find it my favorite way to practice.

With my table, I have a 20 year average of 206. I have had 27 perfect 300 games. I am sure I would have a lot more starting with a ball in hand.

Love the game and if we could rent tables instead of paying $ 1.50 for each rack, I am sure we would have a league going. A real fun way to improve your game.

curacao2

Registered
With my table, I have a 20 year average of 206. I have had 27 perfect 300 games. I am sure I would have a lot more starting with a ball in hand.....

Would be interesting to see a growth curve, just to know how you have improved over the years.
As soon as I setup my table I want to start recording my scores and saving them in exel or something, just so you can see if you are improving or at a plateau.

lbostons

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This sounds awesome. I have never heard of this game before now. I can definitely see me giving this a whirl. My new 9-foot Diamond should show up within the month. This will be a nice change for me and some of my buddies. Thanks for sharing.

lbostons

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Would be interesting to see a growth curve, just to know how you have improved over the years.

As soon as I setup my table I want to start recording my scores and saving them in exel or something, just so you can see if you are improving or at a plateau.

Keeping a "scoring journal" is a great way to keep track of many aspects of this game - one of which would be a sliding average that will give you a better idea of your current level of play.

Here are a few ideas:

Print out a simple bowling score sheet that has multiple games on that one sheet and in the name section simply write in the date, time, and any other things that you feel are "noteworthy".

I also made up my own custom Bowlliards score sheets that had a section for tallying fouls that would be absent on a typical (bowling) score sheet. Remember, each foul - scratches or touching balls or not driving at least one ball to a rail after contact - constitute fouls in Bowlliards and one point must be subtracted for each foul from your final game score.

Save all of your score sheets. They will tell you a more complete story of your Bowlliards game and how certain elements can really affect your overall score - such as your progress into stringing more strikes together or even how many balls you average on the first attempt of your spares.

Regarding averages - one of the best averaging techniques is to have a sliding average that more accurately reflects your most recent playing ability ---- and one way to do that is once you have say 10 (or even better 20) complete games recorded, to have a running average of those games only as the earlier recorded games drop out of your averaging. This is also the best way to accurately handicap between friends playing since your improvements will develop quickly.

And lastly, write a few notes or comments on your games as you progress - reflecting on those notes before you begin your next game may just give you enough insight to help repeat or avoid certain things to make your game the best it can be.

If anyone would like a PDF copy of my score sheets and / or copies my expanded rule set for Bowlliards that of course follows the BCA guidelines, just send me a PM with your email and I'll gladly send them on to you.

K.

K2Kraze

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
3fbb20ea1cf9ee44fc05d127c05fce58.jpg

5ea9e49938f9b0a9aed6bee6064f0bc3.jpg

This is what the rule set looks like if anyone wants a copy.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk