Any Dan Louie War Story?

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have met Dan Louie many times, he is really down to earth and never brags about anything. Nevertheless, everytime we were in a tournament, lots of really well known players would come up to him and showed him a lot of respect.

I have heard that he was a world champion; I have also heard that he was one of the most feared player for the money in the 80's; I saw his picture in Robert Byrne's book as the only picture in the whole book showing him breaking in a tournament in Reno...

Could anyone please share with us some war stories of Dan Louie? He is just too modest to really talk about his victories.:)

Thank you so much.

Richard

I didn’t read this thread so if this is a duplicate post sorry.

Unlikely it is. I was the only rail bird when this happened.

In 93 at Gradys 1P tourney that Ed Kelly won Dan Louie played in it. Was maybe 2nd or 3rd round match. Was case ball for the set, Dan Louie had BIH behind the line and a spot shot. I watched this happen:

He took BIH set the CB on the wrong side of the table and split the wicket and lose the set. He shot BIH into the wrong hole. Of course I didn’t say anything as I was just a rail bird.

Many many years later I mentioned this to Dan, at the time I didn’t know him. But in 2009 I’d guess I was talking to Dan and he remembered it all to well.

Dan is a great player and person. We all make mistakes, that was a heck of a mistake. Was a long set and a $1000 entry tourney in 93. Expensive mistake.

That’s my Dan Louie story. Sorry I didn’t edit. But it’s true and Dan always the gentleman took it in stride.

Best
Fatboy

grindz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hi Everyone!

Long time no hear, huh?

I just wanted to thank you all for the great stories about Dan Louie. You didn't realize this, but you all helped me interview him!

For the last three years I have interviewed someone in the billiards realm every month for the online magazine through AZB entitled "Billiard Buzz." Dan Louie was on my (long) list of people I wanted to interview, and when I started to look around about him, I stumbled on this thread from 2006/2007 and pretty much everything I needed to ask him about was right here!

As a matter of fact, at one point he asks me, "Hey Melinda, how did you hear about me shooting the match ball in the wrong hole in Reno? You seem to know more about my pool history than I do, lol."

I replied that I "do my research! I hit the pavement (digitally of course)."

If you want to read YOUR questions to Dan and his answers, check out the November issue:

https://issuu.com/azbilliards/docs/november_2019/10

Thanks again!

Nice article Melinda. I'll have to check out the "Buzz" magazine more often... looks like some good stuff over there!

Welcome back..... and don't be such a stranger.... a little more estrogen around here may help to keep the trolls under the bridge. :wink:

td