Any easy way to determine a Half splice vs Full splice without taking a wrap off ?

MmmSharp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good day,

I was lucky enough to get a tascarella the other week, and it plays amazingly. unhit, 3 shafts. definitely makin this my player. absolutely love it.

The seller was unsure if it was a full splice or half splice. he had bought from the Pete's a few years ago, and had it in storage since he bought it. the wrap covers the bottom of the points, and no ringwork, so it could go either way.

Question: is there a way to tell a half splice from full splice if the wrap covers the bottom of the points ?

I am planning to call the shop for insurance purposes, so will ask then, but it makes me curious if there is any way to tell.

Cheers

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If Pete built it from scratch it is most likely a regular v groove forearm.

4scarecrow

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Take the bumper out and the screw holding the butt cap in place (not necessary to remove the butt cap). Look inside with a flashlight. If you see maple it’s a short splice. If you see the wood of the inner point, it’s a full splice.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Just to be technical a true half splice or short splice cue is fairly rare. A regular V groove forearm is not really a splice at all. A true half splice is done with one piece of wood making up the four points just like in a full splice, but is not full butt length. A V groove forearm just has separate point pieces glued into the v grooves and looks similar to a splice with sharp points. A decorative ring at the base of the points usually eliminates it being a full splice. But there are methods to putting a split ring there in a full splice cue. That is why I say usually.

Last edited:

MmmSharp

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks for the info. There is no ring work. And the wrap covers the bottom of the points. I will take a look under the cap.

Cheers.