Any Ideas? Old Cue With Big 3/8x12 Joint

PhilosopherKing

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
House cue conversion with big 3/8x12(?) aluminum pin.

Derlin butt cap… Wrap is nylon, I think.

Butt is 28.5. Shaft is 29”.

Has to be one of the older examples of a non-DPK sectioned butt sleeve.

Maybe the rubber bumper is a clue?

I’d appreciate any thoughts.

Thanks
2D6B76B0-28E5-4608-977C-0758CB06A77B.jpeg
4775C371-00B1-4E15-8929-ABD37C517CAD.jpeg
6DF09DF3-2162-4BCC-8FF6-E2EB21D128B0.jpeg
1BC6D07B-FEF2-42A6-9124-EE3D17BB4EB9.jpeg
 
Last edited:
Another mystery that came in the mail today.

I love this cue. It’s a tank… Super-solid. One of the best shafts I’ve ever seen on a cue.

Joint seems to be bronze, not brass.

Interesting, thick-gauge wrap material.

A lot of length below the wrap.
5AA73A8B-8ED5-4858-B3EB-80A610453643.jpeg
BC3B9007-585A-4CDE-AD3A-D34417AC4B24.jpeg
204C4BDB-3C67-4101-8ADA-51444C103227.jpeg
CA4096CD-25FA-474D-9C9D-B28F243619B8.jpeg
C63F0655-E6A3-43EC-A282-C7A29E83DD2E.jpeg
67B4654E-DD8F-4684-AF95-8F6721F8D7F8.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I think that the first cue is some sort of Brunswick Masterstroke conversion- new shaft, new wrap ( leather removed) and a new butt sleeve section with buttcap added. Obvious joint pin change as well. Bottom cue looks entirely home made to me by a wood worker/machinist
 
Another vintage head scratcher:

Aluminum half joint.

Flat 5/16-18 brass pin.

Derlin Hoppe ring.

Several nails or tacks under the wrap. (I’m guessing to bring weight to the area.)

Just one shaft is original, so, I don’t think it’s a personal garage-project, or the inserts and collars would be better matched.
99A22771-0E05-436B-A4FC-3C7C4E881939.jpeg
EB1BC2C3-06DB-424B-9844-D047BFD5AF64.jpeg
EB1D892F-ADC6-44CF-A448-C8092D1B3056.jpeg
5C9209CB-AFF4-4096-80FC-97FCE9015E05.jpeg
0757B9A7-4668-4FFD-BEDA-D71112EF67A0.jpeg
F72E8DD5-2D4F-4D24-927F-FB2C7BBA2785.jpeg
 
3/8x12 was not as uncommon as some may think. Imports used it and sometimes the screw was mounted in the shaft.
Anyone remember those old Budweiser cues?
Brass joint on the butt, brass screw mounted in the shaft.
 
3/8-12 was also an early Brunswick factory screw, and many of their "special order" cues used it. These cues were modified at their regional stores or at the factory to order.
 
Another vintage head scratcher:

Aluminum half joint.

Flat 5/16-18 brass pin.

Derlin Hoppe ring.

Several nails or tacks under the wrap. (I’m guessing to bring weight to the area.)

Just one shaft is original, so, I don’t think it’s a personal garage-project, or the inserts and collars would be better matched.
View attachment 602243View attachment 602244View attachment 602245View attachment 602246View attachment 602247View attachment 602248
While I don’t recall what pin he used, Benson cues out of Washington was a user of half metal joints.
 
While I don’t recall what pin he used, Benson cues out of Washington was a user of half metal joints.
Yeah. From the sellers’s pictures, I thought it was most likely a Benson or an early Schuler when I bought it.

Maybe some other Rocky Tillis fan made it.
 
Some updates:

3/8-12 cue is a 60’s TAD.

Cue with the weights under the wrap was made by Karl Mayer.

Any more thoughts on the one with the thick, gold wrap?
 
How did you figure that out?
Mayer was from N.J.
I found a cue on Facebook with the same weights under the wrap... The owner is certain it’s a Mayer.

Another person commented that they had a Mayer like it.

I got my cue from Northern PA, so, seems geographically correct.
3D5CF284-A693-4094-9200-4475E47AE3D9.png
 
Last edited:
Some early Meucci cues have round dots visible on the wrap. Sometimes they are very obvious and some times you only see them in just the right light. They are from the drilled holes in the handle filled with metal weights. On the one I took the wrap off of they went all the way through the handle. this particular cue had cracked at the wide part of the weight and had to be glued. Good as new...
 
Some early Meucci cues have round dots visible on the wrap. Sometimes they are very obvious and some times you only see them in just the right light. They are from the drilled holes in the handle filled with metal weights. On the one I took the wrap off of they went all the way through the handle. this particular cue had cracked at the wide part of the weight and had to be glued. Good as new...
Thanks. Do have any pictures of the Meucci?
 
No I don't. That was before I had a cell phone. or a digital camera even. I didn't take a lot of pics back then or even now really, If you are aware of them you can spot them on the old originals sometimes. If they aren't fairly obvious look under light at different angles. I don't think they did it for very long there probably fairly scarce. Maybe someone here has one and can share pics?
 
Back
Top