Any kind of sealer are to be avoided?

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
If I do any sanding on a shaft, it's usually because it was either too fat, dirty and or grimy for my liking. At that point, I know I've removed whatever seal was there (assuming there was one).

If there are dings all over the shaft, I will run hot tap water over the entire shaft and expand the wood while I'm cleaning it. If only a few dings, I try to run the hot water just over those areas to focus the heat and keep it where needed to pull out the ding.

And depending on how blue the shaft is, I will use a household cleaning abrasive powder from under the sink, with water and a paper towel. Rinse, repeat, over and over again until a paper towel isn't pulling chalk dust off of the shaft anymore. , I will continue running warm water over the areas where there were dings and let the water pull and allow the wood to breathe a bit, until I'm convinced the shaft dings are gone.

Since I don't own a lathe, I will load the shaft onto a makeshift arbor/spindle that I use in a drill to provide rotation. I gently spin the shaft while sliding the 400 grit up and down the shaft to get to smoothness. After a little bit of that, I use 1200 grit and do the same thing, followed by leather burnish.

Once all of that is done and I'm happy with the outcome, I use a lacquer based sanding sealer made by Deft. The advantage of lacquer-based sealer is that it dries almost instantly and there is no long wait for it to dry or settle in. You can keep working on the shaft 5-10 minutes after sealing it. Some other sealers require longer wait time.

Then, I hand sand with some old "shaft papers" that I've had in my bag since the late 80's. The shaft papers I have are nothing more than washable, super-fine abrasive (2000 grit +) sheet's of plastic. You could use 2000 grit disposable sandpaper sheets with the same results.

My shafts feel and play great, and they stay that way under regular play without any further maintenance required. The occasional wipedown with a damp cloth is all that is really ever needed after that.

I have never warped a shaft with this process, nor do they end up collecting huge deposits of blue chalk dust over time.

I've never put wax on one of my cues.

Last edited:

Tramp Steamer

One Pocket enthusiast.
Silver Member
Because I got a lathe and I want to learn this stuff :)

What esle that wax could I finish my shaft with?

What I used to do:
1. Put the shaft in the lathe, between centers.
2. Apply a coat of Chris Hightower's (Cueman) cue shaft cleaner and let sit for three, or four minutes.
3. With lathe at medium speed, make back and forth passes with 1000 grit sand paper. Do not work too vigorously. All you are wanting to do is take the crud off. Repeat if necessary.
4. When shaft is clean, apply sealer (from Cueman) as per instructions on the bottle.
5. When sealer is dry sand shaft with 1500 grit paper, then finish with 2000 grit. Again, don't over do it.
6. Apply wax, let dry, then buff with paper towel.
I have always used Meguiar's Gold Class car wax for both shaft and butt, although Chris sells a good cue wax as well. Some folks don't care for wax, preferring the feel of bare wood. Others don't even like the feel of a sealer. Strictly a personal prefference thing. :)

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
Post on Ask the Cue Maker. I did when I bought my lathe. Have fun with it.

right.... also theres so much on this subject. one did ask specificially and said product is ammonia strippable....

i'd say ammonia is ok you want always something with as litte to no water as possible unless lifting dings.....

it all depends thought. because so many sealers. i seal with a copolymer

use proper ventilation, dust or proper cannister mask, and proper ppe along with reading and knowing the number to poison control 800 2221-222...dont be a dumbass, dumbasses who think its cool to not. you can remember poison control by a 1 sourrounded by 6, 2's

know and read msds sheets

keep solvents for quick setting CA's/glues

nitrile gloves

store volitale chemiclas, solvents and such properly

also certain things can be real bad...some "strippers" for finishes and diff sealers can effect wood structure and color...i've seen paint stripper turn wood black a few thousandths deep....you can even use some such types to give woods finished effects not found in nature because of such as well.....

but i've said too much already....they're listening...this message will self destruct in 10 seconds. be afraid be very afraid

-Greyghost

Last edited:

greyghost

Coast to Coast
Silver Member
What I used to do:
1. Put the shaft in the lathe, between centers.
2. Apply a coat of Chris Hightower's (Cueman) cue shaft cleaner and let sit for three, or four minutes.
3. With lathe at medium speed, make back and forth passes with 1000 grit sand paper. Do not work too vigorously. All you are wanting to do is take the crud off. Repeat if necessary.
4. When shaft is clean, apply sealer (from Cueman) as per instructions on the bottle.
5. When sealer is dry sand shaft with 1500 grit paper, then finish with 2000 grit. Again, don't over do it.
6. Apply wax, let dry, then buff with paper towel.
I have always used Meguiar's Gold Class car wax for both shaft and butt, although Chris sells a good cue wax as well. Some folks don't care for wax, preferring the feel of bare wood. Others don't even like the feel of a sealer. Strictly a personal prefference thing. :)

the black was buffed out with meguires fine cut cleaner, meguires plastex and meguires hi tech yellow....when i put the cypress knee on it...swear i set it straight down and that top is level....it slid about 3 inches, thats how slick it is.

meguires makes great products...TONS of products

https://images.search.yahoo.com/yhs...art=SGMedia&hsimp=yhs-sgm_fb&type=ss_ch_ds_ox

Attachments

• IMG_0149.jpg
    IMG_0149.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 164

caff3in3

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
and just one question in regard to my statement you yours....."smooth and stays that way"

how long has "it" stayed tht way on say a particular every day shaft....without re application, and just normal proper everyday day you play, wash hands and clean shaft?

because i've had cues that i havve purchased and built......that still got O.G. seal from 8, 10 and 20 years that hasn't ever bee broken.....im guessing your about to rethink what "seal" means

lock it up.....throws away key......
I'm fussy about keeping my shafts looking new because I flip most cues I buy. After sanding, burnishing and waxing I do a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol after every 5 or 6 (20-30 hours of play) sessions. Cues still look brand new and smooth as soft jazz

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I'm fussy about keeping my shafts looking new because I flip most cues I buy. After sanding, burnishing and waxing I do a quick wipe down with rubbing alcohol after every 5 or 6 (20-30 hours of play) sessions. Cues still look brand new and smooth as soft jazz

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

If permissible use gold or tan chalk. The shafts will always look clean and new.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
I know this is a thread on sealers ..... But for cleaning the Orange hand soap by Permatex works well. Has pumice.... It is gentle and cleans like a champ.