Any Reason Not to Use a Brush or a Vac With a Brush Attachment on Cloth?

ANTJR122

Registered
When I bought my Diamond Professional 9 foot table from Diamond Billiards in 1995, it was delivered from the Allen Hopkins trade show in PA where it was set up for a couple of days. The installer (Tony's Hustlers, Inc.) delivered it to Holden, MA and set it up with a machinist's level from parts in 1 1/2 hours. He said to lightly spray water on it every 30 days and then clean it with a damp sponge and then to cover it with a heavy cover to prevent UV (sunlight) rays from damaging it. He said it will remain tight and dark. It worked for over 6 years until I changed the cloth out when I needed new rails. The only addition to the above is I bought a Simonis table cleaner recently and use it prior to the spraying every 30 days. I use no brush or vacuum since he told me not to. He told me he set up Diamond tables all over the country, primarily for Pro Tour events.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I bought my Diamond Professional 9 foot table from Diamond Billiards in 1995, it was delivered from the Allen Hopkins trade show in PA where it was set up for a couple of days. The installer (Tony's Hustlers, Inc.) delivered it to Holden, MA and set it up with a machinist's level from parts in 1 1/2 hours. He said to lightly spray water on it every 30 days and then clean it with a damp sponge and then to cover it with a heavy cover to prevent UV (sunlight) rays from damaging it. He said it will remain tight and dark. It worked for over 6 years until I changed the cloth out when I needed new rails. The only addition to the above is I bought a Simonis table cleaner recently and use it prior to the spraying every 30 days. I use no brush or vacuum since he told me not to. He told me he set up Diamond tables all over the country, primarily for Pro Tour events.
The X-1 works great if used properly. Light pressure and speed is the way. I did a couple tables at my local place and when i took it outside and wacked it clouds of chalk dust came out. Works waaaaaay better than brushing.

RobM

Anyone ever used a Tineco A10 StickVac with the beater attachement? It doesn't really have bristles but more like felt beater bars. Does a great job but I do find a bit of fabric colored "lint" in the collection cup (Simonis 860). Is that normal or am I wearing the fabtic down with it??
Tineco.jpg

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The X-1 works great if used properly. Light pressure and speed is the way. I did a couple tables at my local place and when i took it outside and wacked it clouds of chalk dust came out. Works waaaaaay better than brushing.
So how do you clean your X-1?

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Once you learn the efficient way to fold up a pool table cover, it takes less 45-60 seconds to neatly fold up and remove and only 15-20 seconds to unfold to place back on.

A table with a cover kept on it will not only keep the table much cleaner but will also allow it to maintain the true vivid color of the cloth as when it was newly installed.
You are absolutely correct. I have a Brunswick leather (pleather?) cover for my GC, I start at the same end and kinda roll/fold it 4 times length wise then fold it in half across the short way, reinstall the opposite direction, it requires 1 1/2 trips around the table time wise, I bet its less than a minute total on and off.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
If a vacuum has enough suction to displace the plaster in a seam, it's strong enough to stretch the cloth. The stretching of the cloth is gradual but the cloth will loosen eventually.
My cloth is 10 years old and I have been vacuuming it for 10 years with a small shop vac and an end similar to what vRKC recommends, I would think if vacuuming caused cloth to loosen that I would noticed it by now.

Last edited:
Howdy All;

Back when, ... in Southern Ohio for league night in a local bar they'd use one of those
ole Dirt Devil Royal portables with the beater brush. Appeared to work fine. Table always
looked in great shape.
Don't make'em any more but parts are available on e-bay as well as some units too.

hank
That pretty much was the industry standard back then we purchased 10 tables from a guy and one of those actually came with the deal

jtaylor996

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Other than speculation, I would be interested to hear why a brush might impact the cloth at a meaningful level.

Personally, for at least the last 5 years, I have used a roomba on my table and there are no issues. It has a rotating brush.

-td
Where did the spot go?

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Folding and unfolding that cover seems too much like work! :eek::)
20230929_065728.jpg
20230929_065833.jpg
20230929_070132.jpg

At the head of the table is the storage for the cover. Handcrafted from recycled materials. The cover is folded as religious as the Flag. Show respect. 😉 Better still think of it as therapy.

Attachments

• 20230929_070132.jpg
    20230929_070132.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 29

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Good point on the dust. I have a cover but I don't use it. If I had a cover on I'd probably not play as often. There's something nice about just walking to the table and playing without having to unfold a cover. Folding and unfolding that cover seems too much like work! :eek::)
Once you learn how to fold the cover efficiently and quickly, it’s really no big deal. Knowing that your table is covered up and protected at all times when not in use gives peace of mind, if you covet your table like many of us do.