AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
5C83AF77-180C-49AB-95AB-07F20875689C.jpeg
A00A90F4-F901-4E36-BE5C-7D85DCF983AE.jpeg
68A5AD64-26E4-4E1E-8896-318F17D06868.jpeg
5C83AF77-180C-49AB-95AB-07F20875689C.jpeg
A00A90F4-F901-4E36-BE5C-7D85DCF983AE.jpeg
68A5AD64-26E4-4E1E-8896-318F17D06868.jpeg

I have seen a million cues, I’ve never seen a nickel ring below a SS joint? Did I just not see something in the last 38 years?

Doesn’t bother me, I just never saw this.

Thoughts? Is there something for me to learn here?

Thx in advance
Fatboy😃

Sorry about the double posts. But I wanted to show that it’s not clear over SS or something like that. Top cue maker built the cue. Not a cheap cue. Just interesting to me.

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
View attachment 681513View attachment 681514View attachment 681515View attachment 681513View attachment 681514View attachment 681515

I have seen a million cues, I’ve never seen a nickel ring below a SS joint? Did I just not see something in the last 38 years?

Doesn’t bother me, I just never saw this.

Thoughts? Is there something for me to learn here?

Thx in advance
Fatboy😃

Sorry about the double posts. But I wanted to show that it’s not clear over SS or something like that. Top cue maker built the cue. Not a cheap cue. Just interesting to me.

It's how Pete does his finish, as far as I know. Not another ring? The stainless is scuffed to hold clearcoat

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
Sure looks like a ring to me. Very unique. Possibly added by accident, and then left there.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's how Pete does his finish, as far as I know. Not another ring? The stainless is scuffed to hold clearcoat
It’s Pete’s work.

It’s not finish. Thumbnail test confirms that. It looks like a different color metal. I played with the images to enhance it for those pics.

In real life it sure looks like another ring-which is cool, I have no complaints. I just never noticed it on his cues before or any cue for that matter.

I’m certain there’s a good reason, just trying to learn. Isn’t often anymore I see something I haven’t seen before. How this got past me all these years I’m not sure.

I’ll ask Pete, super nice cue that’s for sure.

Thx
Fatboy

ideologist

I don't never exaggerate
Silver Member
Sure looks like a ring to me. Very unique. Possibly added by accident, and then left there.
They do this on every cue and my understanding is it is to keep the finish from popping at the joint, it's not another ring as far as I have ever seen, just scuffed stainless

slim123

Not that I noticed or recall
I do have an old mali that does have that ring below the steel collar. I'll have to get a picture, the cue was passed thru the family and my younger brother has it in another state i'll try to get him to take a pic

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
They do this on every cue and my understanding is it is to keep the finish from popping at the joint, it's not another ring as far as I have ever seen, just scuffed stainless
Too smooth. Doesn’t look like anything was done to the metal at all. I’ll look again later today. If I can find my 20X loop, I’ll really have a look. I think I know where it’s at.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Upon closer inspection in the sunlight and with zero distractions you are 1000% correct. I was 2000% wrong. The thumb nail test I could feel the slightest ridge. The sun helped a lot as well.

Thanks for the lesson! I’m always open to learning new things. Now I know.

Got one for you. Today I was looking over a few things.

Who built this cue?
ECA731B7-2607-4082-9AE4-E3D4D3D627F1.jpeg

My $ is on you. 😃

Best regards
Fatboy 😃😃

Thecoats

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Sorry I am late to the party but I have seen this on the last few steel jointed Tascarella's that I have owned. I figured it was where the finish stops and they probably don't finish over the steel. The last two newer Tad steel jointed merry widow players I bought had finish over the steel and it eventually peeled. Luckily it didn't peel below the steel.

Here is a picture of my most recent Tasc player.

Attachments

• Tasc_Joint.jpg
    Tasc_Joint.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 102

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sorry I am late to the party but I have seen this on the last few steel jointed Tascarella's that I have owned. I figured it was where the finish stops and they probably don't finish over the steel. The last two newer Tad steel jointed merry widow players I bought had finish over the steel and it eventually peeled. Luckily it didn't peel below the steel.

Here is a picture of my most recent Tasc player.
My player Tad pealed everywhere after about 3 years of daily play. I was playing a lot then. 40-60+ hours a week. It was lacquer over delrin on the butt cap and joint(maybe) anyways it wore through and I was getting a little dirt into the pours of the BEM.

I had Jerry Franklin refinish the cue-saved the Tad wrap as it was well worn and perfect. Jerry wasn’t sure he could save the wrap. I said “Jerry, I have no doubt you can”. If a little paint gets on the old wrap that’s ok. 2 weeks later Jerry called me-I went over and my cue was perfect.🥰. I continued to use that cue as my player until Jerry passed away a few months later. 🥲. At which time I decided that was a very special cue to me for a few reasons. It’s part of the Fatboy permanent collection. I actually had it out yesterday. I’ve played with it in spots over the past 20 years and will always use it. Just not a main player.

Back to the topic. I just felt like telling the story.

I noticed in the Sun that Pete did that with the SS and also on the delrin on the butt cap. I didn’t take pics. Not sure if I’m keeping the a Tasc or selling it. First time I’ve owned a Tasc in 13-14 years. Great cue. The tollarences are amazing. Wow is it well built. Pete has always had great cues. Exceptional work.

Hope you’re well DC, I’ll be at Derby. I’m buying dinner! There or anywhere. I need to bounce by your neck of the woods. Been a long time.

Best
Fatboy 😃😃

Mr. Bass Man

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
107A4E8D-DDE7-4564-A8C3-298E17E0F524.jpeg

I just got a cue refinished by Tascarella and noticed the same thing on both the joint and the buttcap seam. Almost thought there was a white ring of different material there for a second and realized that it was a smooth transition instead of a hard line where the finish ended.
On another note that forearm you posted... wants to be in my collection 😅😂🤣