Anybody have any experience trying to switch your dominant eye?

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
As long as I have been aware, I've been cross-dominant, meaning right handed but left eye dominant for pool aiming. However, in the last year or so my left eye has developed a condition that has diminished its focus, so now I have significantly better vision in my right eye. The problem is, my left eye still thinks it is the dominant one lol. I understand that most right handed people are right eye dominant anyway, so I am seriously wondering about trying to train my eyes to let my right eye take over as the dominant for pool -- and for that matter, everything else.

Anyone try this sort of switch?? If so, did it work and how did you do it??

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
When I point my finger at something, I can consciously choose to see both images of it pointing in slightly different directions*. The one pointing at the target is my dominant eye's image, but I can move my finger until the other non-dominant eye's image is the one pointing at the target.

This makes me think you could train yourself to use your non-dominant eye, maybe just for playing pool - maybe just by practicing it...?

pj
chgo

*To see this I focus on the target, not the finger.

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
When I point my finger at something, I can consciously choose to see both images of it pointing in slightly different directions*. The one pointing at the target is my dominant eye's image, but I can move my finger until the other non-dominant eye's image is the one pointing at the target.

This makes me think you could train yourself to use your non-dominant eye, maybe just for playing pool - maybe just by practicing it...?

pj
chgo

It's strange because my left eye so wants to be the dominant one even though it is blurry (even with corrective lens).

I am going to try the patch thing though.

SlateMan

Registered
Sometimes I feel like my dominant eye switches. (I'm left eye dominant and right handed as well). So when I am down on my shot, I look down at the cue with my left eye and follow the line of the shaft with my left eye down to the tip and then to the object ball. It seems to bring me back to my normal dominant eye (left). You could try this with your right eye....

Good Sam

Registered
One "trick" I heard about in archery when I started a while ago is to put a piece of scotch tape on the lens of your (in your case) left eye. If you don't wear glasses, maybe clear shooting or safety glasses. I never tried it, I just bought a left handed bow and learned to shoot that way.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

I play my best pool when my eyes are both closed.

Tennesseejoe

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
About 30 years ago I decided to shoot with only my dominant eye. I wore a patch for a while until I felt comfortable without one. If you decide to try it, shoot some straight in shots, then let me know and I will show you my simple aiming method. It is easier than you think but takes some time.

Boxcar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One "trick" I heard about in archery when I started a while ago is to put a piece of scotch tape on the lens of your (in your case) left eye. If you don't wear glasses, maybe clear shooting or safety glasses. I never tried it, I just bought a left handed bow and learned to shoot that way.
A thin skim of Vaseline on the upper portion of the lens helps, just enough to see shapes through it but not details.

Last edited:

tomatoshooter

I've seen cling films for this exact purpose, with different degrees of opacity/translucence

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tell you what worked was using both eyes. Double sticks, easy to zero the alignment. If I need to check a small detail like contact points, I'll close one eye to make sure

Hoser

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as I have been aware, I've been cross-dominant, meaning right handed but left eye dominant for pool aiming. However, in the last year or so my left eye has developed a condition that has diminished its focus, so now I have significantly better vision in my right eye. The problem is, my left eye still thinks it is the dominant one lol. I understand that most right handed people are right eye dominant anyway, so I am seriously wondering about trying to train my eyes to let my right eye take over as the dominant for pool -- and for that matter, everything else.

I had a procedure some time ago and was previously rt handed, rt eye dominant. With time my dominant eye switched on its own. The brain can adapt naturally but I would guess that the tape or eye patch might shorten the time. Stoke patients who have left or right-sided arm deficits can facilitate recovery by temporarily binding their unaffected limb thus stimulating the brain to rewire the pathways to the affected arm. You might want to consult with a neuro-ophthalmologist to ensure you would not negatively affect your condition or vision. good luck!

Slick53

Registered
I have seen shotgun competition level shooters doing that Scotch Tape thing. They may even make some special shooting glasses just for this.

BilliardsAbout

BondFanEvents.com
Silver Member

Restest for vision center/line of sight before retraining your eyes for pool.

CJH

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Right handed person, right eye dominant, left handed pool player. Pre-shot routine and alignment are paramount to keeping right eye aligned with the shot. Fatigue can result in mis-alignment if not careful...

1pocket

Steve Booth
Gold Member
Silver Member
Restest for vision center/line of sight before retraining your eyes for pool.
You mean re-test for dominant eye? The standard is to look through a small hole at a distant object and then close one eye at a time to see which one you are consistently lined up with. I've been doing that, and that still comes up as my left eye, but the issue is my left is not nearly as sharp as my right at this point, due to recent changes for the worse in my left eye. My left definitely used to be the clearer one, as recently as 1-2 years ago, but it is not anymore, even with lens correction.

I think I will check in with my eye doc though. Cant' hurt to get their advice.