Anyone ever get the YIPS?

A loss or change of fine motor skills can make relatively simple task seem impossible. I remember years ago when Jon Lester went through his YIPS, he couldn't throw a ball from the mound to first base. I always thought it was strange how he had been doing it his whole life, but there for a while, he just couldn't.

I usually shoot somewhere around a low 6 speed. But the last few days it's been more like a low 3 speed lol. I'm not just missing shots, I'm missing easy shots BADLY. I'm taking on new task at work which may be affecting a change in fine motor skills, but other than that everything has been normal in life. Have yall ever just been so wildly off your game that you couldn't even explain it, and if so how long did it last?

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yeah. I have days like that unfortunately. Usually not a long term thing like some people deal with in golf and stuff. But I can shoot great one match and awful the next. It's something that gets better the more I play but when I'm playing just once or twice a week it can be an issue.

Had one league night recently where I just couldn't make simple shots. I could make hard shots but I was missing the easy ones....a lot. It was very weird and very frustrating.

I think, for me, it often comes down to nerves and expectations. When the shot is hard there is a little internal pressure that gets lifted because I know it's a tough shot and I may miss and if I miss I can chalk it up to being a hard shot. But on the simple ones, once I miss one it can get in my head a little because I know I should make that shot every time....so then it adds internal pressure and expectation along with fear of the miss and it just spirals from there.

Something I need to work on with my mental game for sure.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
A loss or change of fine motor skills can make relatively simple task seem impossible. I remember years ago when Jon Lester went through his YIPS, he couldn't throw a ball from the mound to first base. I always thought it was strange how he had been doing it his whole life, but there for a while, he just couldn't.

I usually shoot somewhere around a low 6 speed. But the last few days it's been more like a low 3 speed lol. I'm not just missing shots, I'm missing easy shots BADLY. I'm taking on new task at work which may be affecting a change in fine motor skills, but other than that everything has been normal in life. Have yall ever just been so wildly off your game that you couldn't even explain it, and if so how long did it last?
Oh my...

I can't even begin. I'm well past 15 years struggling with the Yips.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I don't think anyone is immune to the occasional case of the yips. I missed a tap in on a money ball. It was even easier now, more like a nudge in. My opponent missed a six inch shot! I knocked the ball in the hole just to put us both out of our misery.

My eyes or mind went south on me one tournament, I couldn't line up shots, easy shots. I wasn't feeling any pressure and I shot fine the day before and the day after. "Stuff" happens. Brown stinky stuff!

Hu

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member

The Yips aren't just about "I could do it yesterday, and now I can't make a ball." It's a "I"m standing here, and my body has forgotten the first thing to do." Here is a specific post I made in that myriad of other Yip-related posts. It is NOT about competitive nerves.

The Yips aren't just about "I could do it yesterday, and now I can't make a ball." It's a "I"m standing here, and my body has forgotten the first thing to do." Here is a specific post I made in that myriad of other Yip-related posts. It is NOT about competitive nerves.

I'm not having competitive nerves.
I have genuinely lost my way at the pool table here recently.

Justaneng

Registered

I'm a Cubs fan and I watched that World Series thinking that was how the cubs were going to eventually lose.

Poolwise also an SL-6. After having a 2 session run of winning 22 out of 27 matches, I now have 1 win in 8 matches this session, with some very bad losses thrown in there. My favorite trick this session has been miscueing and giving up BIH.

WobblyStroke

Yips is an overused term and there are levels to this. In golf, a lot of 'yip' issues are tied to slack somewhere along the kinetic chain. The slack spot prevents seamless energy transfer and needs to be compensated for by some sort of tightening or jerky reacceleration after the initial energy leak.

Then there are the real yips that are neurological. No setup tips for eliminating slack spots will help these. When one has the real yips, they can literally lose the ability to sign their name like they've been doing for decades.

For OP, if just a blip of a bad run...highly unlikely to be sudden onset of actual neurological yips. Could be a myriad of little reasons for a slump. Usual suspects are slack (that floaty, unconnected feeling in the arm) or an inconsistent head position affecting how shots look, n

As long as you remain task focused at the table and don't dive down the wtf is wrong rabbit hole and get super internally focused on what every little part of your body is doing, this will pass soon enough. good luck on it being sooner rather than later.

slide13

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't get yips, but once in a while I get the "I totally can't see/trust myself" on cut angles. Only lasts a short time, but I notice it right away when it is happening.

This is actually more like what I experience I guess. It's not a complete failure to be able to do something with regards to the physical stroke, which I think is probably more accurately the yips. But some days I just can't seem to see the cut angles right, even really simple ones.

What do you do when you notice this is the case? I try to focus on my fundamentals, my pre shot routine and shot line up, and finally my head position. But on those days...none of it seems to help really and sometimes seems to make it worse. Often its when I fully "give up" trying to fix it and just start playing like a banger that the balls start to drop.

DeeDeeCues

I'm not having competitive nerves.
I have genuinely lost my way at the pool table here recently.

Remember thar you know how to play.

Read 'the inner game of tennis'.

I don't understand why people insist on giving a name to their perceived reduction in performance. If you say you are in a slump, have the yips, etc., it is a self-fulfilling prophecy, an admission that you can't fix what is wrong, and an excuse to continue playing poorly. That dog followed you home, that sucks, but once you name it, you own it and make it harder to get rid of, especially after you feed it.

Instead, analyze what is going wrong and work on each item methodically. Start thinking, 'I didn't make X, even though I used to never miss X.' This is an admission of performance without harsh judgment.

Best would be to see things only as they are, make no judgment whatsoever and get out of your own head. Remember that you know how to do something, allow yourself the chance to do it. Do not let your conscious thought micromanage your innate ability--nobody likes someone standing over them telling them exactly how to do things they already know, don't do it to yourself.

George the Greek

Health and age (70) have taken it's toll on me. I wouldn't call it the YIPS just lack of playing time as I've only hit balls 8-9 times in the past 24 years. I'm pretty attune on how to practice and the last time I played I had 2 BNR"S of 8-ball so there's something left in the tank. I just got my 9ft last Monday and hit the CB around the table for a few minutes to check out the table. The wife and I are doing some final painting trying to get the new house ready to move in on the 22nd of June. After that I'll be practicing countless hours and won't take long to recognize if I'm relegated to being a banger or a somewhat player.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
Health and age (70) have taken it's toll on me. I wouldn't call it the YIPS just lack of playing time as I've only hit balls 8-9 times in the past 24 years. I'm pretty attune on how to practice and the last time I played I had 2 BNR"S of 8-ball so there's something left in the tank. I just got my 9ft last Monday and hit the CB around the table for a few minutes to check out the table. The wife and I are doing some final painting trying to get the new house ready to move in on the 22nd of June. After that I'll be practicing countless hours and won't take long to recognize if I'm relegated to being a banger or a somewhat player.
do you enjoy the game, regardless if you play up to your expectations, or the feeling associated with playing well?

loggerhead12

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
On super-short super-soft finesse shots I'll often whiff a couple of times before making contact properly. When that happens I can come up woefully short or blow right through what I'm trying to do.

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Yips is an overused term and there are levels to this. In golf, a lot of 'yip' issues are tied to slack somewhere along the kinetic chain. The slack spot prevents seamless energy transfer and needs to be compensated for by some sort of tightening or jerky reacceleration after the initial energy leak.

Then there are the real yips that are neurological. No setup tips for eliminating slack spots will help these. When one has the real yips, they can literally lose the ability to sign their name like they've been doing for decades.

For OP, if just a blip of a bad run...highly unlikely to be sudden onset of actual neurological yips. Could be a myriad of little reasons for a slump. Usual suspects are slack (that floaty, unconnected feeling in the arm) or an inconsistent head position affecting how shots look, n

As long as you remain task focused at the table and don't dive down the wtf is wrong rabbit hole and get super internally focused on what every little part of your body is doing, this will pass soon enough. good luck on it being sooner rather than later.
This post is absolutely correct on all fronts. "Yips" is definitely an overused terms. If someone has anything remotely close to the yips, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. I've been dealing with the Yips for so long that I can't remember how it was like to not have they Yips.

"When one has the real yips, they literally lose the ability to sign their name..."

That is a perfect description of the feeling.

George the Greek

do you enjoy the game, regardless if you play up to your expectations, or the feeling associated with playing well?
I started playing when I was 16 and was obsessed lol. I switched over to pool sometime in the 80"s and stopped early 2000"s. As far as enjoying the game it's been a good part of my life and I still think pool on a daily basis. I'll be happy just to be able to hit the ball good again and jump into the local tournaments and have some fun

boogieman

It don't mean a thing if it ain't got that ping.
I don't know if I'd call it the yips, but the worst is when I rush a shot, knowing I'm not in the proper position then being surprised that I miscue. It's usually lack of focus and I know something isn't right before I shoot. The key is to get back up, but sometimes I forget that one easy step.

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member
I started playing when I was 16 and was obsessed lol. I switched over to pool sometime in the 80"s and stopped early 2000"s. As far as enjoying the game it's been a good part of my life and I still think pool on a daily basis. I'll be happy just to be able to hit the ball good again and jump into the local tournaments and have some fun

Good for you, enjoy the game

all we can do is what we can do