Anyone ever try other fabrics other than the norms for cloth?

PoolBoy1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just for the hell of it. Tried anything besides the normal cloths for a pool table. Other cloths, rugs etc.?

middleofnowhere

Registered
Just for the hell of it. Tried anything besides the normal cloths for a pool table. Other cloths, rugs etc.?
Used to be a cloth sold under the name Mercury cloth. A lot of poolrooms started using it. It would outlast regular cloth almost 2 to1. I think it was repurposed probably meant for a different use.

I just googled and it's still around. I think it was made in Mexico.

Last edited:

Toxictom

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I once cheaped out and bought some of this worsted cloth to cover 2 tables I was selling and used it on one of mine as well. It wore like iron but after a short while I didn't like it and would not recommend it. Spend the money on quality cloth like those recommended on here and you'll be happier.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I played on an outdoor table that was covered in what looked and felt like astroturf with bare rubber rails. Actually played not half bad, I played on some bar tables that were a lot less fun to play on that this random outdoor table.

tim913

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always used 860 and I’m close to having it replaced and thinking about 860 HR but worried about making a mistake

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve always used 860 and I’m close to having it replaced and thinking about 860 HR but worried about making a mistake
i like HR better. Its a tad faster/slicker. It also stays faster longer if you live somewhere humid.

Last edited:

ChrisinNC

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No mistake choosing 860HR. It’s just not available in very many colors. It doesn’t show break tracks/lines as pronounced as 860 does.

michael4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
When I was a teenager, my best friend and his uncle built a pool table from scratch, covered it with some type of leopard print fabric.......We thought it was cool at the time, but hey, it was the 1970's after all......

EDRJR

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I bought one of those cheap Sears tables and it looked like it was covered in Sunbrella, an awning fabric. Played better than it looked.

DieselPete

Burlap potato sacks. It added an element of randomness, as you might imagine. Especially when your stun shots hit a potato peel remnant.

Would not recommend.