Anyone heard from ChrisinNC?

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
With

Some of those areas got 29 inches of rain on top of previous rain last week. All anybody is seeing on the news is Asheville & Boone because all communication is off everywhere else. There is no telling what the death numbers will be this week from smaller towns spread out because nobody knows yet.
Sadly, I agree. Being stripped of electricity and all communication is like being thrown into a time warp. For a couple of weeks it is strictly about survival. Being in a rural area can be both a blessing and a curse.

The key to the next few weeks is being prepared beforehand (knowing what to expect and doing what you can to mitigate immediate losses) and having a dependable system of friends and family -- everyone helps and is helped in turn.

Cable TV is out. Who still has an aerial antenna? Down here many of us have generators, but few are "whole house". So regular old fans are needed. You would be amazed at how many people can sleep in the one room with the "hurricane" window air conditioner. And after a hard day's work, everyone sleeps like a log.

Bulletin boards are used for local communication. One of the main modes of outside communication is, believe it or not, HAM RADIO. These relics come out of shadows and for a few weeks are heroes. Believe it or not, again, these cats really have their shit together and enjoy a world wide community.

Before so many of us got generators, ice was critical. Now it is gas that is so needed to keep the generators going. But for the uninitiated, ice is still a god-send.

Going back to the "help" part, everyone is going to need everything. The church organizations do a lot of good in this area, but they depend on help from us, so get ready. Two to three years after Katrina we still had groups coming down here to assist.

Last edited:

Rusty in Montana

Not only " Ham Radio's " but Single Side Band and just a good ole CB radio can do wonders when things go wrong , gallon jugs of drinking water at any given time I've got 10 - 30 gallons of water on hand .
MRE's can be a God send also and a Coleman white gas stove can cook a fine meal .

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
ive been numerous times out of power for up to a week. never had it been more than an inconvenience. if you cant live without power, tv, radios and dont have any food or water stored then it all your own fault. people lived fine out on their own. what happened to rugged individuals.

sad it happened but these things happen all over the world every day in some spot. only when it happens to you or friends does anyone think about it.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
You got it, Rusty. Never knew how good a baloney sandwich and a can of beanie weanies could be. Damn kids kept getting into the MREs -- stealing the candy and using the heating elements to blow up plastic coke bottles. The kids pulled their weight though, we sent them out on foraging missions every morning and they would come back with a pick-up truck full of something or another which they would then distribute around the neighborhood.

The value of an education obtained on shrimp boats and in old fashioned deer camps cannot be overestimated.

Last edited:

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
his pool room looks like its at about 3500 elevation although near a river. so wish him luck but it looks like he may not get flooded out.

sixpack

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here is a starting point, but someone far better than me with computers will have to take it from here, The address of the pool hall would help a great deal. in all likelihood, the search feature will take you the exact parcel, but as I said . . .

Nice find.

Based on that it looks like he got some water but right at the edge of the peak. Hopefully he and his people are safe and had minimal damage.

I don’t want to post the address but he has said publicly on AZB that his room is called Fanily billiards.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
"Appalachian State University announced Saturday it will be closed for several days as the town of Boone recovers from Helene. Helene moved through North Carolina on Friday as a tropical storm, with several mountain towns suffering the worst of the impacts in the state."

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
Boone and Watauga County are under 7pm to 7am curfew. Not a good sign.

"Hurricane Helene’s wrath along the mountains of North Carolina left families with loved ones in Boone with essentially no way to physically get to them. Friday morning, images began to pour out of Boone which highlighted the true and real-time devastation in the college town. This included images of the downtown area under several feet of water and stories of how families were trapped inside their homes."

"Roadway has breached and is impassable" is the State's notation for NC 105 near Boone.

Last edited:

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm

maha

from way back when
Silver Member
in any big hurricane places along the path will have much damage. it goes with the storm. it is unfortunate it has to happen but does every few years or less someplace.
lucky ones get little issue and the unlucky get crushed. it is all a tossup if you make it or not if you arent built to stand the effects.

looks like boone was hit hard in some spots and survived in others. high ground makes the difference water wise.

hope chris comes out okay.

Black-Balled

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a buddy south of Asheville and he sent pic.

Pic is from middle of street looking at his driveway
Screenshot_20240929-194458.jpg

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
CBS's 60 Minutes is on top of the fraud perpetrated by the insurance companies on hapless homeowners after hurricanes.

S57 E3 · After the Hurricane; Vladimir Kara-Murza; Welcome to the W; The Mezcaleros
42 min · Sep 29, 2024

Homeowners who are still fighting with their insurance companies to repair or rebuild their homes after Hurricane Ian ripped through Florida in 2022; Russian journalist Vladimir Kara-Murza; WNBA Rookie of the Year Caitlin Clark; Mezcal in Oaxaca.

Biloxi Boy

Man With A Golden Arm
News is presenting a very bleak picture of NC. From what was presented, the NC folks did not know/weren't told to get prepared. In any disaster, cash is king. Plastic will resume, but for the meantime . . . Just from the lines at gas stations, folks did not go and gas up their vehicles and cans beforehand. I don't know if they bought the grocery shelves bare, but if they did, it isn't being broadcast.

On the other hand, I would think that what was anticipated was bad rain or a flood (not a hurricane in a coastal sense carrying the potential of catastrophic loss). I am not sure if folks in the interior prepare for hurricanes, or floods, like we prepare for hurricanes down here. Did they advise/order any wholesale evacuations? Sometimes we feel we get "too ready".

Down here, after two or three "false alarms" in a summer, we begin to suffer from "hurricane fatigue": folks grow weary of gassing, grocerying, boarding, etc., plus the cost involved. Ultimately in a busy season, we have to force ourselves to prepare, but we do so because we know the consequences of "needing and not having". Many of us put aside a store of non-perishables in June and keep them on hand until it appears safe ("hurricane groceries") but that is just a small part of preparation.

Last edited:

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never pictured Boone having a flood problem…..I’ve played at Chris’s place a couple times….food was great also.….
its up in the Appalachans for heaven’s sake….does this look like a flood plane?
View attachment 781405View attachment 781406
These were massive flash floods. Storm of this size will turn a little creek into a roaring river within an hour. Helene dumped so much water so fast that this was inevitable. A friend lives up high in Zirconia and he said every creek/stream was the highest/fastest anyone had ever seen in that area. A cubic foot of water weighs 60+ lbs, do the math. Terrible deal.