Anyone know anything about this cue?

Grimper

I'm posting this for a friend. She said this was her grandpa's cue, and that she knows it's at least around 50 years old.

There are absolutely no names or markings on it (at least none that I can find).

Note the oddity in that the screw pin is in the shaft, and not the butt. I've never seen a cue like this before. Anyone have any ideas?

cue 1.jpg
cue 2.jpg
cue 3.jpg

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks. Thats pretty much what I told her but I promised I'd ask here about it.
My first 2pc was a lot like that. Paid 25 or so back in '79. Most had ramin-wood shafts(looks kinda like bamboo with long, stringy grain).

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Probably Taiwan and not China, if its really 50 plus years old. China didn't open their borders for trade until about 1978-1980. Agree with others, it's only worth sentimental value.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Grandpa prolly paid $7.99 for it at Woolworth's back in the day
kinda doubt that. they were cheap but nothing like that. place i used to play sold a lot of Taiwan cues. Most were in the 25-40 range. Not horrible starter cues but that's about it. My next cue was a Meucci Rifleman i bought directly from Buddy himself. Probably shoulda' kept that one. ;)

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There used to be a outfit called D&R-Championship Billiards that imported/sold these Taiwanese cues. A lot of rooms sold them as their basic/starter cues. Once the customer realized what a pos it was they quickly upgraded. ;)

Dead Money

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It looks like the basic department store and sporting goods store cue you used to see a lot of. The value is the ownership of it.