Anyone play One Pocket in Edmonton?

AlinEdm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The question comes after taking in the 12 hour marathon stream yesterday courtesy of On the Rail TV. I had only read about the game in some of the books I have, but after watching match after match I now have a better understanding of the game and want to try it out. Maybe even “learn from a mentor” like OnePocket.org tells me to do?

An even more general question: does anyone play anything other than 8 and 9 ball in town? My CPA teammates will chide me if I suggest anything besides the two. “Straight pool?” the dumbasses will say, “as opposed to gay? har har har” Like I say, dumbasses. I know it would be useless to try and explain One Pocket to them. You can imagine their reaction when I tried to introduce them to 4-Ball.

So I’ll post an open invite up here. This summer my schedule looks as if I will be able to be at the High Run on cheap Thursdays. If you see me and my McD’s playing 14.1 feel free to introduce yourself and we’ll have a game of whatever you like.

KUDOS TO THE LIVE STREAM PROVIDERS. YOU ARE DOING A BIG FAVOUR FOR THE POOL COMMUNITY. KEEP IT UP, PLEASE.

cuejo

Cue Repair tech
Silver Member
There's a few guys around that play one pocket.

what kind of skill level are you?
Are you looking to gamble or play to learn?

Probably all the one pocket players like to gamble a little......

seether

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One Pocket

The question comes after taking in the 12 hour marathon stream yesterday courtesy of On the Rail TV. I had only read about the game in some of the books I have, but after watching match after match I now have a better understanding of the game and want to try it out. Maybe even “learn from a mentor” like OnePocket.org tells me to do?

An even more general question: does anyone play anything other than 8 and 9 ball in town? My CPA teammates will chide me if I suggest anything besides the two. “Straight pool?” the dumbasses will say, “as opposed to gay? har har har” Like I say, dumbasses. I know it would be useless to try and explain One Pocket to them. You can imagine their reaction when I tried to introduce them to 4-Ball.

So I’ll post an open invite up here. This summer my schedule looks as if I will be able to be at the High Run on cheap Thursdays. If you see me and my McD’s playing 14.1 feel free to introduce yourself and we’ll have a game of whatever you like.

KUDOS TO THE LIVE STREAM PROVIDERS. YOU ARE DOING A BIG FAVOUR FOR THE POOL COMMUNITY. KEEP IT UP, PLEASE.

Thats nice but i am not that great at one pocket.I tried it and watch it but never could fine anyone here that plays it.The only person who you might get a game of one pocket is a guy who logs on to azbilliards as super green man.He lives in Edmonton to.

AlinEdm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
what kind of skill level are you?
Are you looking to gamble or play to learn?

Probably all the one pocket players like to gamble a little......

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Well, those responses came quicker than I thought.

@cuejo: Being a new member to this forum, but having lurked for some time, I think I gambled a bit just by saying I play in the CPA. Presently, I am a SL4 and have spent a few months as a SL5 at a time when I could play three times a week. I think self-evaluations are always distorted, but I’ll say that my mental game needs more improvement than my skills. While I need better cue ball control, kicks and safeties, too many times last session I was one game away but let my opponent back in to win. Outside of league play, I have come out on top a couple of times playing in a few player-organized tourneys at Goodfellows on the south-side. Those were played within a single game, double elimination format and included SL6 competitors. On any given Sunday...

Update: With my “mental game” in mind, I started the summer session with a satisfying 3-0 win against another SL4.

Do I gamble? My teammates call me Fish. No, seriously, I haven’t been exposed to the money games that I know are out there somewhere, so I’m not sure I would. I don’t know the etiquette, or the dance steps needed to get a game going. I wouldn’t want to insult a player with a low wager, but when I read posts here on AZB about 10k matches I know there is no way that I can afford those kind of stakes, but that’s not common is it? And then there is the issue of weight. I’ve read if you have to ask for it you shouldn’t be playing, but did I mention that I’m an SL4? Specifically in regards to One Pocket, I wouldn’t be comfortable betting on a game I had never played before, but I like the idea if I knew I had something to bring to the table and the wager was fair. They do call me Fish.

@seether Yes, I am aware of Supergreenman. He is the first poster that I went, “Hey, he’s from Edmonton!” From what I have read I think I have the skills to carry his case. He is a good example of a player that I wouldn’t want to insult by suggesting a match, but he also probably falls into the category of potential mentor. He will probably read this so yes, I respect your skills without even meeting you, SGM. What is the proper way to show that respect? Pay for the table time at The Metro? Again, it comes down to not knowing the etiquette.

Last edited: