Anyone see that Blackboar cue on Facebook? Ouch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

classiccues

Don't hashtag your broke friends
Silver Member
100%. There are only so many ways to inlay a notched diamond. Dennis is spectacular in his own way but nobody on the planet is the cue artist Tony is.
I respect both cuemakers a ton. But the comparison was unnecessary and not based in reality. I do not have a dog in this fight. Is this going to be the new norm, you see a glue line and now have to point to the world that there is something wrong with the cue? A lot of very good cuemakers are going to get trashed so some 3 ball runner can feel good about himself.
JV

Zeek

Cue Freek
Silver Member
I currently own the cue that is the subject of this thread. I bought it because I liked it. While I have no interest in selling it, thanks to the negativity in this thread any re-sale value on it torpedoed. Much appreciated guys. I have tons of high-res pictures of big cues by the big names that I could post at 1000x magnification and NONE are perfect I assure you, but I enjoy the artistic aspects in cue making and don’t see the point in bashing anyone’s work

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
I currently own the cue that is the subject of this thread. I bought it because I liked it. While I have no interest in selling it, thanks to the negativity in this thread any re-sale value on it torpedoed. Much appreciated guys. I have tons of high-res pictures of big cues by the big names that I could post at 1000x magnification and NONE are perfect I assure you, but I enjoy the artistic aspects in cue making and don’t see the point in bashing anyone’s work
Because they have no life.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
Jump off his nut. Dennis is not even close to Tony in artistic ability. BB's work is hand down more complicated than Dennis' take on standard designs.

JV
Must be nice copying designs out of a book - and using a ton of filler to make it look good. You shouldn't be allowed to even say Searings name

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
The biggest difference in those two is, Dennis could do any of those designs into maple and they would be perfect, he doesn't need ebony and filler

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
The biggest difference in those two is, Dennis could do any of those designs into maple and they would be perfect, he doesn't need ebony and filler
We spoke about this, but please show one cue that ever took any creativity. He’s never done a design. Ever. Diamonds and boxes. He’s an engineering genius, but he’s no artist.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
We spoke about this, but please show one cue that ever took any creativity. He’s never done a design. Ever. Diamonds and boxes. He’s an engineering genius, but he’s no artist.
Like I said, that's not what he does, and again, getting most of your designs out of a book and then using filler to make them look good isn't impressive to me. Dennis and a few others could execute any of these designs with NO filler.

Is that where we're at now, Dennis couldn't execute those designs?

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
Like I said, that's not what he does, and again, getting most of your designs out of a book and then using filler to make them look good isn't impressive to me. Dennis and a few others could execute any of these designs with NO filler.

Is that where we're at now, Dennis couldn't execute those designs?
He’s never proved it. Again, diamonds and boxes. And if you want, I'll post pictures of a lot of cues that weren’t out of a book. Tony is the greatest cue artist on the planet and it’s not close.

Last edited:

ribdoner

SATISFACTION GUARANTEED
Silver Member

I currently own the cue that is the subject of this thread. I bought it because I liked it. While I have no interest in selling it, thanks to the negativity in this thread any re-sale value on it torpedoed. Much appreciated guys. I have tons of high-res pictures of big cues by the big names that I could post at 1000x magnification and NONE are perfect I assure you, but I enjoy the artistic aspects in cue making and don’t see the point in bashing anyone’s worki like the design

i like the design and i'm sure it's a good, crisp player, enjoy!!

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He’s never proved it. Again, diamonds and boxes. And if you want, I'll post pictures of a lot of cues that weren’t out of a book. Tony is the greatest cue artist on the planet and it’s not close.
Designs out of a book and copying what Manzino started lol plus way less than flawless execution 🤣

Oh boy, this is fun

shooter_Hans

and the backtracking begins. It always happens to people that claim they are experts because they hangout at a cue builder’s shop.

Let this be known for people reading … theay are busy and don’t be like the guy I mentioned above.

Write them a check or pick up or drop off your cue. Staying for coffee or fetching water when the cue builder is taking a break doesn’t mean you’re an expert.

JimmyRayK

Gina collector
Silver Member
Designs out of a book and copying what Manzino started lol plus way less than flawless execution 🤣

Oh boy, this is fun

He’s built me four cues that are amazing that were not in a book. Don’t make false statements. Whole lot different than shapes that are learned in first grade art class.

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
He’s built me four cues that are amazing that were not in a book. Don’t make false statements. Whole lot different than shapes that are learned in first grade art class.
And if you read my previous post you would see that I didn't say all. Are we playing games now???

BB can't hold Dennis's Mic, maybe he should have learned to tighten up those tolerances before he went wild with copying designs from a book. You know, learn to walk before you run 🤣

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
and the backtracking begins. It always happens to people that claim they are experts because they hangout at a cue builder’s shop.

Let this be known for people reading … theay are busy and don’t be like the guy I mentioned above.

Write them a check or pick up or drop off your cue. Staying for coffee or fetching water when the cue builder is taking a break doesn’t mean you’re an expert.
Just when i thought a clown couldn't get any more makeup on their face, there you go and surprise us all.

BTW, who's backtracking?

jasonlaus

Rep for Smorg
Silver Member
When there's a $20,000 price tag on a cue it should not look like that. It's not our fault and we've been down this road before - people wanting to protect their $$$$ so they will be dishonest even though the truth is in front of everybody.

BB should be ashamed and reach out to replace this cue

I hate it that you've been stuck with this cue, I know I probably wouldn't have noticed it either and then when you do, it's too late.

I had a cue with some issues - I never looked at it or put on a lathe. When the history was pointed out, I immediately pulled it down from for sale. Luckily the builder reached out and repaired the warp in the cue and also updated the rings to his newer style for no charge. Ron Haley stood behind his work and I'll never forget it

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.