Anyone used a longoni Luna Nera?

Thunder Thighs

I'm your Huckleberry
Silver Member
If I’m not mistaken graphite and carbon fiber are the same thing. This came up in a forum question not too long ago.
Interesting. From a consumer's viewpoint, the term graphite reminds me of really cheap low quality department store cues. Whereas carbon fiber is the current trend for expensive shafts. If Luna Nera is indeed carbon fiber as we associate it with Revos etc., then calling it graphite is a marketing failure in my opinion. At least for the US market. I think Longoni should look in to this.

deano1772

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I use a Luna Nera and notice it has a ping sound when playing power strokes.

was wondering if anyone else has noticed that?

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting. From a consumer's viewpoint, the term graphite reminds me of really cheap low quality department store cues. Whereas carbon fiber is the current trend for expensive shafts. If Luna Nera is indeed carbon fiber as we associate it with Revos etc., then calling it graphite is a marketing failure in my opinion. At least for the US market. I think Longoni should look in to this.
Hasn't hurt golf club sales. CF shafts in golf clubs have been called graphite forever. Longoni has never really gone after US pool cue sales. I've seen one cue in my life. They are nice but imo way overpriced.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hasn't hurt golf club sales. CF shafts in golf clubs have been called graphite forever. Longoni has never really gone after US pool cue sales. I've seen one cue in my life. They are nice but imo way overpriced.

The way the club hits the ball and the way the cue hits the ball are very different though. Every "graphite" cue such as the Cuetec stuff I have tried hit like a stiff metal rod with an unpleasant hit feel, while the newer "carbon fiber" shafts are much much better in both deflection performance and hit feel.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The way the club hits the ball and the way the cue hits the ball are very different though. Every "graphite" cue such as the Cuetec stuff I have tried hit like a stiff metal rod with an unpleasant hit feel, while the newer "carbon fiber" shafts are much much better in both deflection performance and hit feel.
My point is its just semantics. In day-to-day lingo 'graphite' and 'carbon-fiber' are often used to describe the exact same material. There are no 'graphite' tubes. Even the older, cheaper ones were are form of carbon-fiber. In Europe CF is often referred to as 'graphite'.

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

didn't cuetec use fiberglass? wood core encapsulated in fiberglass

deano1772

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That’s the longoni I have. One wood shaft and a graphite

Attachments

• E33CBE97-A8BD-4EEA-A255-DC8F953E830D.jpeg
    E33CBE97-A8BD-4EEA-A255-DC8F953E830D.jpeg
    104.3 KB · Views: 245

L.S. Dennis

The topic did. I read the entire thread and all I know now is why I picked accounting as a field of study.

Carbon vs Genetically Modify Polimer Based non Plant life alien technology......(my title)
I Googled ’what’s the difference between graphite and carbon fiber‘ it said that cf comes from graphite but is stronger.
it also gave some tech mumbo jumbo which Dr. Dave can explain but bottom line, cf is a stronger version of graphite.
Longoni‘s ‘Luna Nera’ (black moon) should clarify it’s pure graphite claim to clear up some confusion.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I Googled ’what’s the difference between graphite and carbon fiber‘ it said that cf comes from graphite but is stronger.
it also gave some tech mumbo jumbo which Dr. Dave can explain but bottom line, cf is a stronger version of graphite.
Longoni‘s ‘Luna Nera’ (black moon) should clarify it’s pure graphite claim to clear up some confusion.
CF is made from graphite. Longoni's shaft is made from carbon-fiber. No such thing as a 'pure graphite' tube. Enough with the word games already.

L.S. Dennis

I've read and heard both French, Spanish and Italian 3c players referring to cf shafts as being 'graphite'. Word games. I'm done.
Longoni should clarify then to end these ‘word games’ because in his video featuring Neils, he specifically refers to his Luna Nera as ‘graphite‘ confusing for the American market who are use to the words carbon fiber. And Google says there’s a difference,