APA Extracurricular Events

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Just curious to see what other events are held in different areas. Maybe not specifically a sanctioned tournament or match, but things that the League Operator and staff do extra or on the side.

Again, I'm not talking about singles boards, doubles, or Masters formats. Looking for unique ideas that keep it fun in your area.

drv4

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Austin they do 8 and 9 ball top gun tourney every session, scotch doubles and Jack and Jill tourneys, a captain co-captain tourney (singles 8 ball tourney where you had to have captained a team to be in the tourney), a few 8 and 9 ball open tourneys (someone can play in the 9 ball tourney even if they don't play 9 ball league as long as they are an 8 ball member), they do drawings at the end of each session where you get an entry for each 8 on the break, 8 BnR, 9 BnR and 9 on the snap of the session (4 separate drawings) for 4 cues.

WoodyMPW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The usual singles, doubles, triples, dream team.

Ours did a tournament to win a pool table last year.

Anyone else doing the Hawaii thing?

Last edited:

bud_08

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The L/O I play for now does a few of the same things mentioned above. Like the top gun tourney, captain/co captain tourney, drawings. I'm not for sure about the scotch doubles or or Jack and Jill, he may but I just haven't heard...(2nd session playing in this new area).

Something he does do that my previous L/O didn't do. The teams he sends to Vegas, he actually pays the room and travel. And has been known to take teams out to eat the first night they are up there. He definitely goes over and beyond. His market is much smaller than the one I played in before so that's probably a big part of it. Either way, great guy to have running a league.

MnHunter

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember we used to have a blast playing in APA team turnaments. Shoot Faced in Chicago, Tuckered in Toledo, Sleepless in Sandusky and several other team tournies. These were always a blast. Five man teams, triple elimination and the entry always included 2 rooms at the hotel the event was being played at.

ElLeon

Headshot
Silver Member
We get a non-sanctioned Top Gun tournament which doesn't use regular APA rules, but has the handicap.

It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun when you get to play 3's who can suddenly play defensive shots all day long (and twice on Sunday) when innings aren't counted.

Shockingly, there has been a very large % of SL 3's who have dominated the tournaments. I went to two of the events based on the honor of winning Top Gun. But as so few mid or high rank players show up (due to the afore mentioned "fun" of being raped by 3's nonstop) the mid/high players immediately get thrown into brackets full of 3's rather than playing against the actual bracket they won Top Gun in.

Now I keep the $20 entry fee in my pocket, plus get to have a nice morning with the fam (or lady-of-the-evening) instead of schlepping myself to the bar for a quick 2-and-out. Oh, we get a few patches. Do you guys get patches? Patches are cool.

Last edited:

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
In one league we do the captain's, jack/jill and a player appreciation day.

Our appreciation day is actually this Saturday. They do games, challenges and tournaments all day and provide pizza at one of the local watering holes.

A couple of the neat things they do is a 3 ball speed tournament, 3 rail kick shot where they have different domination of money and certificates all over a table and you have to hit 3 rails and land one to win. It is a pretty good time.

I am shooting in another LO's area as well now for the first time so I don't know what they do, but I would imagine they do an All-Star tournament being the way we earn points for that (you get SL of a player you beat as points) and he use to own the other one and we did it there.

PoloBob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Here in Austin they do 8 and 9 ball top gun tourney every session, scotch doubles and Jack and Jill tourneys, a captain co-captain tourney (singles 8 ball tourney where you had to have captained a team to be in the tourney), a few 8 and 9 ball open tourneys (someone can play in the 9 ball tourney even if they don't play 9 ball league as long as they are an 8 ball member), they do drawings at the end of each session where you get an entry for each 8 on the break, 8 BnR, 9 BnR and 9 on the snap of the session (4 separate drawings) for 4 cues.

That's a really cool idea to raffle the cues by using entries from whenever you would earn a patch.

The usual singles, doubles, triples, dream team.

Ours did a tournament to win a pool table last year.

Anyone else doing the Hawaii thing?

I saw a Hawaii poster a couple years ago advertising a trip to th winners, but I don't recall any of the details.

The L/O I play for now does a few of the same things mentioned above. Like the top gun tourney, captain/co captain tourney, drawings. I'm not for sure about the scotch doubles or or Jack and Jill, he may but I just haven't heard...(2nd session playing in this new area).

Something he does do that my previous L/O didn't do. The teams he sends to Vegas, he actually pays the room and travel. And has been known to take teams out to eat the first night they are up there. He definitely goes over and beyond. His market is much smaller than the one I played in before so that's probably a big part of it. Either way, great guy to have running a league.

That's really kind of your LO to treat the teams to dinner. We have a small area also, so that could be something we look into.

In one league we do the captain's, jack/jill and a player appreciation day.

Our appreciation day is actually this Saturday. They do games, challenges and tournaments all day and provide pizza at one of the local watering holes.

A couple of the neat things they do is a 3 ball speed tournament, 3 rail kick shot where they have different domination of money and certificates all over a table and you have to hit 3 rails and land one to win. It is a pretty good time.

I am shooting in another LO's area as well now for the first time so I don't know what they do, but I would imagine they do an All-Star tournament being the way we earn points for that (you get SL of a player you beat as points) and he use to own the other one and we did it there.

An appreciation day would be great. Thanks for the idea. Super unique format to kick the ball and have it land on a prize

Thanks for all of the input so far. I really appreciate it.

banditgrrr

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think this thread has given me an idea. I'm going to suggest that at the end of the season our LO bend over the nearest table and each player gets to give him a swift kick in the ass. Quite possibly one of the laziest human beings I've ever met and it shows as more and more people in my area are heading to other leagues.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's soooooooooooooooooooooooooooo much fun when you get to play 3's who can suddenly play defensive shots all day long (and twice on Sunday) when innings aren't counted.

Sounds like your area has a score keeping problem then. Maybe time would be better spent teaching players how to score and how to identify and mark defense better.

Skippy27

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You really think lack of education and training is the problem?

In most cases yes. The rampant sandbagging some complain about is simply a farce. If it is rampant in your division, then every single one of you are responsible for it and have allowed it to get that way.

I have had "discussions" with every level of player (up to 6) that don't believe just trying to get a good hit after being "stuck" or that "comboing" a player's ball in that is blocking a pocket are defensive shots.

I believe in a vast majority of matches lower level players, those that don't practice and play a lot, are the ones keeping score most of the time and they do not ever mark a defensive shot unless they are told to. They can't recognize when a player is missing on purpose to put themselves in a better position to run out or because they don't want to get down to a forced break out. If I am just watching a game and see someone do something I consider to be defensive, I will tell the score keeper to mark it as such and I will do it loud enough that the other team hears it. I have had players come back with "I didn't defense there!". If they want my explanation why, I will give it to them. I won't argue and still tell our keeper mark it.

We have had nights that the other team has not marked a single defensive on any player when we have 25+ marked on our sheet. Sure it is subjective, but seriously we viewed all the matches that differently?

I won't argue defensive shots, nor will I reduce them if you don't agree with me.

Last edited:

Tony_in_MD

You want some of this?
Silver Member
I long time ago, a league operator in my area had a APA tour setup, I believe there were about 10 stops (once a month) in which you accrue points (based on performance) for an end of season tourney.

This LO had the biggest (at the time) APA league in the US. I had not heard of anyone else doing the same.

Just curious to see what other events are held in different areas. Maybe not specifically a sanctioned tournament or match, but things that the League Operator and staff do extra or on the side.

Again, I'm not talking about singles boards, doubles, or Masters formats. Looking for unique ideas that keep it fun in your area.