APA inks deal with Diamond tables

libtrucker

Thank God!!!! I try to not complain about the equipment that I play on, as I try not to sound like a compulsive whiner like alot of pool players....

But boy did some of those Valley's play bad this year!

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I doubt that they will because it's about catering to the lower handicaps which I understand as is their bread and butter.
I agree with you. They made a half assed attempt when they made the Master's league. The no handicap in that has led to teams that have the strongest 3 players in a given region teaming up. Which makes the weaker teams very unlikely to win a big event. There are only so many high caliber players around. I would really like to see an increase in the team handicap at the APA level which has the 23 handicap.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I applaud the choice by the APA ...

Now if they could only fix the handicap issues to accommodate 8's and 9's... As it is now very few teams want high ranking players.
I doubt that they will because it's about catering to the lower handicaps which I understand as is their bread and butter.
That's why there is a master's division. Try it if there's one in your area. I guarantee you'll like it!

benjaminwah

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The difference in a match between two 3's on a Valley and a Diamond is many more innings and much more time. I have been to Vegas for APA Nationals many times, for 8 and 9 ball. Our 8 ball matches almost always go to sudden death already. This will add even more time to the match. I sincerely hope the APA realizes this and adds more time for the matches. Unfortunately I doubt they will.

Shannon.spronk

Anybody read this?
Silver Member
This seems like a no brained for both sides.

I’ll be interested to see how the predator tables play when I’m in Vegas for the USAPL national championship in February. Would rather have them stuck with diamond but I’m not surprised.
I played on them recently at a 10 ball tournament here in South Dakota. I felt like they played pretty well but did take some adjusting. Banks and kicks were a little interesting but played well.

Baby Huey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wow good for the APA. Diamond tables are slowly moving into the bars on the west coast. Many of the pool rooms are switching over to Diamonds but it's expensive and the process is slow but it's happening. Good for us players.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree with you. They made a half assed attempt when they made the Master's league. The no handicap in that has led to teams that have the strongest 3 players in a given region teaming up. Which makes the weaker teams very unlikely to win a big event. There are only so many high caliber players around. I would really like to see an increase in the team handicap at the APA level which has the 23 handicap.
Then what you described in the Master's division will happen on the five Man team. What should they raise the maximum handicap limit to? The higher you raise it, the more teams will become stacked.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then what you described in the Master's division will happen on the five Man team. What should they raise the maximum handicap limit to? The higher you raise it, the more teams will become stacked.

I agree but players are capped at 7 in 8ball but have up to 9 in 9ball. For a 9 to play, you really need a 2. The 9 also has to spot lesser rated, but sporty, players quite a few balls too.

Giving an additional point or two for 9ball would be appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A few years ago, when I played Masters, we played on 9 foot Diamonds. Tough bastards when going from 7 footers. At least until you adjusted. The Masters team that went to Vegas that year had to play on Valley 7 footers. I thought they would dominate. Didn’t turn out that way. Regardless of equipment, you still have to pot balls.
Then you also have a team that plays on diamond 9 footers and when they come to nationals they always get complaints that they are sandbaggers because they play way above their skill level on a valley. What you say makes 0 sense. Your telling me a tight pocket table and a valley is no different. 😂

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If Diamonds and Valleys were cars, one would be a Cadillac and the other a Vega.
But even a Vega is better then walking... ESPECIALLY in the rain!!!🌧🌨

There are no Dainond tables within 30 miles of me...those are 9 foot Professionals (I think.... haven't seen them in person Supposedly at MisCue South in Toledo ). And NONE that I know of that are 7 foot Smart Tables or Pro Ams. So I guess we play on Valleys, or nothing at all.

dardusm

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I applaud the choice by the APA ...

Now if they could only fix the handicap issues to accommodate 8's and 9's... As it is now very few teams want high ranking players.
That's why there is a master's division. Try it if there's one in your area. I guarantee you'll like it!
They do a masters format but don't get enough teams for a league so you can usually go to Vegas to play in the masters either given a spot or win a tournament with 3 or 4 teams. My problem is that I don't necessarily want to be the best player on the team and other good players don't want to take the time to get qualified. I have no interest in going out to Vegas for masters unless I can compete with a solid team.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is a great move by Diamond. Especially considering the move by Predator into the table manufacturing business.

Diamond may have even provided the APA with an incentive package that finally got them to ink this deal..

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I agree but players are capped at 7 in 8ball but have up to 9 in 9ball. For a 9 to play, you really need a 2. The 9 also has to spot lesser rated, but sporty, players quite a few balls too.
Yet the 9's average 17-3 or 16-4 when playing anyone other than a 9. And you think they should spot LESS? The only reason they don't spot more is because it would lengthen the matches. Lesser rated, but sporty, players can go up, too. Besides, if you have someone on your team who is likely to win a lot of matches with big scores, doesn't it make sense in some way that you should have to put someone on your team who is likely to lose a lot of matches? Isn't that what a handicap system is supposed to do? Handicap you?

The difference between that and 8-Ball is that even the best 7's in 8-Ball lose a game here and there so they don't average 80% PA or higher like the 9's in 9-Ball.

Sheldon

dontneednostinkintitle
Silver Member
But even a Vega is better then walking... ESPECIALLY in the rain!!!🌧🌨

There are no Dainond tables within 30 miles of me...those are 9 foot Professionals (I think.... haven't seen them in person Supposedly at MisCue South in Toledo ). And NONE that I know of that are 7 foot Smart Tables or Pro Ams. So I guess we play on Valleys, or nothing at all.
Mostly Valley tables where I live still. Luckily, we do have a couple of private rooms with Diamonds, and the bulk of my action is on those. The Valleys can be fun with their big pockets, but also not fun when the rails are low and bouncy and the cloth is crap and the tables are not very level. I've fixed them in a few bars around here, but not many of the bar owners really care about pool or how nice their tables are.

justadub

Rattling corners nightly
Silver Member
Do most of the places that host APA in areas other than here have diamond tables? Where I'm at, it's almost all valley tables. I'd say 2 places out of 20 or 25 have diamonds.

It seems good for diamond if they can replace some valleys. For players playing on valleys every week, it seems like a bad idea.
The primary room we play in here has ten 9' Diamonds (and one 7'er for the casual crowd, and something for the APA and TAP players to use before they go to Nationals). Most of the places I've played here in our part of the world still uses 9'ers, tho not many with Diamonds. Lots of Brunswicks still around here.

I'm very happy that the APA is going to Diamonds at Nationals.

BigBoof

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yet the 9's average 17-3 or 16-4 when playing anyone other than a 9. And you think they should spot LESS? The only reason they don't spot more is because it would lengthen the matches. Lesser rated, but sporty, players can go up, too. Besides, if you have someone on your team who is likely to win a lot of matches with big scores, doesn't it make sense in some way that you should have to put someone on your team who is likely to lose a lot of matches? Isn't that what a handicap system is supposed to do? Handicap you?

The difference between that and 8-Ball is that even the best 7's in 8-Ball lose a game here and there so they don't average 80% PA or higher like the 9's in 9-Ball.

Well my specific 9 in question doesn’t win. That race gets in his head.

It is funny how every interaction with you has solidified my desire to never play APA again. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk