APA inks deal with Diamond tables

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
A local league operator said the pockets for these tables will be bigger than the standard 7 fts table that Diamond makes.
Larger than league cut pockets?
This has to be a marketing thing for new tables. Who needs KFC buckets on a bar table?
If you need larger than 4 7/8" pockets it's time for a new prescription on those readers.

IbeAnEngineer

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA playing on Diamond tables for their nationals has happened before. If I remember correctly, the APA league played on Diamond Tables at their national event in Vegas for a few years in the early 2000's. I played in a couple of APA nationals early 2000's on Diamonds. Then Mark Griffin bought the BCAPL a couple of years later and APA went back to using Valley's. Anyone have a better date on when they switched? I did a web-search and came up empty.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator isn’t in the table manufacturing business. The tables with their graphics on them are manufactured by SAM in Spain.
Pretty sure ALL of their products are outsourced. I would be interested to know what companys make the rest of "their products" for them.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA playing on Diamond tables for their nationals has happened before. If I remember correctly, the APA league played on Diamond Tables at their national event in Vegas for a few years in the early 2000's. I played in a couple of APA nationals early 2000's on Diamonds. Then Mark Griffin bought the BCAPL a couple of years later and APA went back to using Valley's. Anyone have a better date on when they switched? I did a web-search and came up empty.
Bad boys billiards production tables? I remember something like this or half diamonds half valleys. Timeframe is alluding me too.

APA Operator

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Well my specific 9 in question doesn’t win. That race gets in his head.

It is funny how every interaction with you has solidified my desire to never play APA again. Thanks for the reinforcement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
A 9 that doesn't win might not be a 9. Every 9 I know wins at least 60% of their matches, unless they're trying to go down. The "in your head" thing is very real though. I see it a lot when players go up a level. If I'm someone who has no problem getting to 31 points as a 4, why can't I get to 31 points as a 5, against the same opponents? It doesn't mean they're not a 5, though. It just means they have a challenge to conquer before they can be a successful 5. It's ok to fail for a while - half the league fails every week.

StuartTKelley

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting move from APA and Diamond after CSI jumped ship to the new Predator tables.
I was just talking with my friend who is our local league operator here about this move to Diamond. Thank goodness!! We have a few bars still that have Valleys but the majority have Diamonds. I don't play anywhere that has Valleys and won't again. Makes me look forward to getting to Vegas. Diamond is superior in every way.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Larger than league cut pockets?
This has to be a marketing thing for new tables. Who needs KFC buckets on a bar table?
If you need larger than 4 7/8" pockets it's time for a new prescription on those readers.
I believe the article said league cut. That is 4 3/4 according to the Diamond website. There was one hall here that has had Diamond 7 footers for a while for league and the several 9 foot Gold Crowns. About 3 weeks ago another large local hall replaced 6 of their 8 footers with Diamond 7 footers with pro cut pockets, 4 1/2. Don't know of any Diamond 9 footers around me.

couldnthinkof01

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I believe the article said league cut. That is 4 3/4 according to the Diamond website. There was one hall here that has had Diamond 7 footers for a while for league and the several 9 foot Gold Crowns. About 3 weeks ago another large local hall replaced 6 of their 8 footers with Diamond 7 footers with pro cut pockets, 4 1/2. Don't know of any Diamond 9 footers around me.
4 3/4", good call. League cut tables play really nice. I can't imagine needing any more than that.

CLAUD

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
4 3/4", good call. League cut tables play really nice. I can't imagine needing any more than that.
Yes, so much better than the Valleys. I like the 4 1/2 better, but the 4 3/4 will be better for league where there are many lower level players and anything smaller could be very discouraging.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Predator isn’t in the table manufacturing business. The tables with their graphics on them are manufactured by SAM in Spain.
I had no idea.. I guess as long as they produce a consistently good product pool players will be happy. Personally I am thrilled they are not made in China.

Tom1234

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Then you also have a team that plays on diamond 9 footers and when they come to nationals they always get complaints that they are sandbaggers because they play way above their skill level on a valley. What you say makes 0 sense. Your telling me a tight pocket table and a valley is no different. 😂
No, what I said was playing on 9 foot Diamonds with smaller pockets and deeper shelves DIDN’T translate into an advantage when playing on 7 foot Valleys with buckets for pockets. On the Diamond tables I play on, you cannot cheat the pocket. That same shot I just barely missed on the Diamond goes in every time on the Valley table. I have far more break and runs on Valleys than Diamonds.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I had no idea.. I guess as long as they produce a consistently good product pool players will be happy. Personally I am thrilled they are not made in China.
Guess you didn't see the debacle with the "Predator' tables at a few of the CSI Pro Events.

Quesports

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Guess you didn't see the debacle with the "Predator' tables at a few of the CSI Pro Events.
Guess you've never gone to sea during a shakedown cruise on a new ship...

Things happen, then they get fixed. I suspect Predator is addressing the issues...

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
Guess you've never gone to sea during a shakedown cruise on a new ship...

Things happen, then they get fixed. I suspect Predator is addressing the issues...

Good compairson and thing do get fixed. Russian are not so OCD about safety, these not big deal if Ships, Subs, or Aircraft are 100% dependable. General's & Admirals sits in offices while peon did like flies.