APA rule help

g-string

? Is on APA 8ball my wife was shooting and recently moved up to a SL4. Which means she only gets one time per game now. I called a timeout early in game the match was a long one the other player went to the bathroom moments later I went pee and came back out. And two shoots later I called timeout and walked out to table explaining what to shoot. And I touched the cue. So I apologized and said it was ball and hand for her opponent. Her opponents team said that I already used my timeout, where I forgot she only gets one. Anyone now the ruling for this infraction. The only thing I could find in rules was ball in hand for her opponent. The other team freaked out and said it should be a loss of complete match. Like a forfeit. The two players played the match out with the opponent with ball and hand. He won that game and the match
Just wanted to now if anyone bows what rule is. It was my bad.

Muzz

The first offense of an unintended extra timeout is simply a sportsmanship warning... "please don't do it again, or a more severe sportsmanship penalty can be assessed (not clearly defined)." Ball-in-hand for touching the cueball.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There has to be a progression of penalties. First a warning or a sportsmanship violation, then ball in hand, then loss of game, then loss of match.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
? Is on APA 8ball my wife was shooting and recently moved up to a SL4. Which means she only gets one time per game now. I called a timeout early in game the match was a long one the other player went to the bathroom moments later I went pee and came back out. And two shoots later I called timeout and walked out to table explaining what to shoot. And I touched the cue. So I apologized and said it was ball and hand for her opponent. Her opponents team said that I already used my timeout, where I forgot she only gets one. Anyone now the ruling for this infraction. The only thing I could find in rules was ball in hand for her opponent. The other team freaked out and said it should be a loss of complete match. Like a forfeit. The two players played the match out with the opponent with ball and hand. He won that game and the match

If the other team wanted the match to be a forfeit due to forgetting about only one time out, I would watch your wallet with them around ;)

Touching the cueball is a ball in hand foul, but I have personally seen people forgive that when someone thinks it's ball in hand when it's not and just keep going, depends on the person and team. Tapping the cueball with the tip I pretty much never have seen ignored though.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
In a non playoff situation, I might be inclined to forgive the double coach and probably even the cue ball touch unless there is a pattern with that team or the captain is a dick. This is a recreational league for the most part. I don't play APA at this time but you get to know your teams particularly in an in house and good relations are important for enjoying the experience particularly with newer players. Otherwise you end up playing with the same grumpy old men.

cjl0s

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Look up the by-laws for your local league.

SL-4 should be far less forgiving.
The cueball touch obviously BIH.

Regarding TO #2, It was his screw up if I read correctly and was more confusion. Plus new 4s often forget that they don't have 2 timeouts (not the situation here). Either way its better go get along rather than be looking for BIH. Win at the table not by lawyering up with the rule book.

NathanDetroit

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
If the other team wanted the match to be a forfeit due to forgetting about only one time out, I would watch your wallet with them around ;)

Touching the cueball is a ball in hand foul, but I have personally seen people forgive that when someone thinks it's ball in hand when it's not and just keep going, depends on the person and team. Tapping the cueball with the tip I pretty much never have seen ignored though.
APA rule on tapping the cue ball with bih was made clear that it needs to be apparent player was shooting

u12armresl

One Pocket back cutter
Silver Member
I couldn't quit the league quick enough if what you say is true.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
APA rule on tapping the cue ball with bih was made clear that it needs to be apparent player was shooting

Yes but from the description this was not ball in hand, he just touched the cueball. Ball in hand it's not a foul unless you are actually shooting then tap it.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes but from the description this was not ball in hand, he just touched the cueball. Ball in hand it's not a foul unless you are actually shooting then tap it.
Correct. The coach touched the cue ball in a non ball in hand situation. It's a foul.

g-string

APA did nothing wrong here at all. This was all on me, my ignorance. I just was wondering what the rule was. Whether it was Bowen hand or loss of that one game. Which she lost anyway. No winning that game did not make it break us for the season.

dquarasr

Registered
SERIOUSLY?????????? When did league pool turn into such a nit-fest????????????
I’ve run into that rarely since I started APA a couple of years ago. It’s usually only that one guy, or team. The overwhelming majority of the players are very cool, accommodating, and NOT nits. But that one guy…

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’ve run into that rarely since I started APA a couple of years ago. It’s usually only that one guy, or team. The overwhelming majority of the players are very cool, accommodating, and NOT nits. But that one guy…
Its petty crap like this that ended my league days. And yes, it is nitty.