APA Southwest Challenge 2008

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
I'm signed up to play in this 3-man tourney this year. Is anyone going or has been in the past? This will be my first time traveling to a multi-day tourney so I'm not sure what to expect, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Anything out of the ordinary to do or not do?

See you in Vegas!

March 27th-30th @ the mirage

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
APA LO said:
I believe that event takes place at the Riviera, not the Mirage.

Thanks! Well at least someone responded to this thread :p Any additional comments?

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
I went last year and had such a blast, I'm going back for more:) ! I think I'm going to be up there the 26th through the 3rd or something ridicuous like that. But I may be going home earlier than anticipated because opening day for the Padres is the 31st:) . We will see if I go bust before then:D .

James

Red Wire... Right Temple
Silver Member
Hillary,

Good to hear! I saw your posts on the SDAPA forum looking for a 3rd player, did you find one? Maybe I'll run into you. How many teams typically play?

My main concern is that you have to submit a play order, which seems like you could potentially have some big mismatches if you put up a 7 first and the other team puts up a 2. I generally loathe such matchups during the week.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fun no matter what.

-J

hilla_hilla

I'd rather be foosing it!
Silver Member
James said:
Hillary,

Good to hear! I saw your posts on the SDAPA forum looking for a 3rd player, did you find one? Maybe I'll run into you. How many teams typically play?

My main concern is that you have to submit a play order, which seems like you could potentially have some big mismatches if you put up a 7 first and the other team puts up a 2. I generally loathe such matchups during the week.

Anyway, I'm sure it'll be fun no matter what.

-J

Tina Pawloski had a friend that was a 3 looking for a team, thankfully. It was at the last possible minute to:rolleyes: . I got our entry fee in on the last day, lol.

The way I lined up my team, I put my weakest player first and my strongest player second and then I play last (I also like that pressure).

Generally, in a tournament like this I play for fun. Any tournament that isn't based on an individual bases I think of as a carnival game.

You mentioned the SDAPA forum. Are you from San Diego?

ap_audio

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've never been to the event before, and I dont play in APA, but now that I live in Las Vegas I will most likely be there to watch it. Can't ever turn down an opportunity to watch pool when the Riv is less than 10 minutes from my house ;)

bumpypickle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Bumpypickle will be there.

James said:
I'm signed up to play in this 3-man tourney this year. Is anyone going or has been in the past? This will be my first time traveling to a multi-day tourney so I'm not sure what to expect, but it sounds like a lot of fun.

Anything out of the ordinary to do or not do?

See you in Vegas!

March 27th-30th @ the mirage
My team and I took 2nd in the SW challenge last year out of almost 300 teams. I will be there again this year with 2 sl 3s who I don't really know. It's pretty fun but try and sleep some before you go because you might be playing from 8 or 9 am until 2 or 3 am without ever leaving the auditorium. If you get a chance eat at the WYNN buffet, it's the nuts. The WYNN also has a great 24hr cafe that serves very good food. Buffet at the RIV is the craps. I forgive you for making the jerky post about bench pressing. Bumpy

Flettir

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Call the Shots

I will be there with 2 4's. Our team name is Call the Shots. We will be wearing black tshirts with 8-ball pool hall on the back and some dogs shooting pool on the front with the team logo at the bottom.
If you are an AZer stop by and say hello. I would like to meet some of you in person.
Hilary, one day I may make it down to the Hard Times for the monthly tourney.

See you at the Riviera

Guerra Cues

I build one cue at a time
Silver Member
I will be going as well. 2 SL5's and 1 SL4.
Expect plenty of sand bagging. First game a SL6 played last year was against a SL3 that ran the table twice in a row.