Are all feather strips equal?

jmizzo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am looking to order a set of feather strips to refelt my rails. Pooldawg has them for like 12 bucks, and they are 24 at Seyberts. I would rather buy from Seyberts, but at double the price, it makes no sense. They have a 110% price guarantee, but they aren't branded, so I am sure they will say they are not the same product. Any ideas on what I should do?

LucasBilliards

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as they're wood it doesn't really matter. If they're rubber, find wood ones. The rubber ones are no good IMO.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As long as they're wood it doesn't really matter. If they're rubber, find wood ones. The rubber ones are no good IMO.

My table has the rubber ones (American Heritage) They work perfectly on my table. NEVER had an issue and they are on their third use. The wood one might be loose or tight. Professional table mechanics bring a few diameters of the wood ones so they can choose the best fit. Some tables are just different from others. There is a trick to the rubber ones though. You have to install carefully or you get waves. Wood is stiff so it looks cleaner when installed. But you can get the same results with rubber with attention to detail. Just my opinion of course.

JC

Coos Cues
I measure the groove and rip them on my table saw out of scraps of just about any soft wood. You can micro adjust the fence and check them with a scrap of cloth until they fit perfectly. Not too loose and not too tight. Too often the pre made one's don't fit right. Then you can end up with the strip going in too deep and your whole table sucks to play on because you can't bridge on the rail without sawing wood off of your cue shaft on the sharp edges.

JC

Nullus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Purchased mine from Ozone Billiards. Have used Muellers before but Ozone is now less than an hour drive away and no need for shipping. Didn't notice any difference whatsoever between the two sets.