Are jump break cues not as good as break cues for breaking?

cuetechasaurus

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you have good technique and break with a jump-break cue is there anything that will make your break worse off vs breaking with a cue made for just breaking? Like does the extra weight of an extra pin have any negative effect or anything like that?

I’m looking to buy a break cue but I could also use a new jump cue as well. Not sure if I should buy a break cue and jump cue separately.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Being able to rack the balls as tight as possible is going to make more of a difference than anything else. Then a square hit matters. Then being able to accelerate without losing accuracy matters, usually helped by an exaggerated follow through. Then having a separate break stick to not mushroom your playing cue tip matters. Then the mechanics of your break cue matters.

If you haven’t mastered all the skills of racking/breaking first, the equipment doesn’t matter at all. You might as well be breaking with a house cue with a slip on tip.

trob

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I never found one that I thought did both well. Either they were good at one or the other.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
You are not good enough to notice the weight of the extra pin. Sorry if that sounds harsh, but it's the truth. My jump/break weighs in at 18 oz. It does both jobs well, but does neither perfectly.

Depends on how much money you want to spend.

mikemosconi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't play too much competitive pol anymore, but when i do, I see some folks with 4 cues now- playing cue, break cue, and two size jump cues, plus a extension for the playing cue. Many are carbon fiber now. sometimes a guy lines up so much equipment next to our playing table that I think I am at a cue sale exhibition and not a pool match :)

I guess it all depends on how technical you want to be with the game, some rely maybe too much on technology, some rely more on skill, some want to marry both to get an edge - your choice.

cueman

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
The tip is the main issue. The best tp for breaking may be a little too soft for jumping. That is why I made my jump break cues with a tip system that allows center ball break with hard leather and edge of the ferrule hit with phenolic for jumping. A little lighter jump cue can slightly out jump most jump break cues. So two cues are better than one for breaking and jumping, but if a jump break cue is done well there is only a slight advantage to having separate cues for those two shots.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
My $69 jump break cue has served me well.
I am of the opinion that skills are more important than the tools.

JoeyInCali

Maker of Joey Bautista Cues
Silver Member
I don't think so because of balance .
Jump cues have to be light .
I like a break cue with a heavy forearm and light handle .
Can be shorter too .

Nyquil

Being able to rack the balls as tight as possible is going to make more of a difference than anything else. Then a square hit matters. Then being able to accelerate without losing accuracy matters, usually helped by an exaggerated follow through. Then having a separate break stick to not mushroom your playing cue tip matters. Then the mechanics of your break cue matters.

If you haven’t mastered all the skills of racking/breaking first, the equipment doesn’t matter at all. You might as well be breaking with a house cue with a slip on tip.
I love my magic rack for this reason. Def worth the money IMO.

MmmSharp

Nudge is as good as a wink to a blind bat.
Gold Member
Silver Member
I think the advantage is that a separate jump cue will usually preform better and be easier to use than a jump/break cue jumper.

As a breaker i have not seen a difference between dedicated break cue vs break/jump. I am in the "buckshotshoey" category of not good enough to tell the difference between of a breaking with a dedicated break cue vs a break/jumper.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Both kinds of cues need to be stiff with a hard tip to deliver maximum force. The critical difference is their opposite weight requirements, which are hard to balance without one or both suffering a little.

pj
chgo

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
change nine ball so the one is on the rear of the rack and players have to hit the short cushion first for a break.

Should cut down in cheating by rack mechanics by a factor of 95%

the old hit the 1 ball on the head is outdated and too much of a give away.

or just require jump cues for the break

second idea require a jump for the break shot