Are There Benefits To This Drill?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think the single point in the pocket for all shots is a better way to do it rather than have multiple targets changing for each shot. I think that most people are sending the center of the object ball in a certain direction rather than an edge.

True and most of the issue. Cognizance of the swath of the object ball is fundamental to precise cueing.

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Mark all 6 Pockets

Just for giggles I marked all 6 pockets with donuts placed in the center of the entrance of the pockets. The thing that is amazing is being able to see the spot on the object ball so much better.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Just for giggles I marked all 6 pockets with donuts placed in the center of the entrance of the pockets. The thing that is amazing is being able to see the spot on the object ball so much better.
Does it also make adjusting for throw more conscious?

pj
chgo

marikian

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I will think a out that. But it sure makes ball pocketing much easier to see if that makes sense.

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/15231.png

The two balls are positioned where there is about an inch to spare, about a half inch on both side. Shoot the 6B down through the 1B and 3B with follow, stun, and draw. And FYI, this is indeed a straight-in shot.

So, Instructors and knowledgeable posters......is there any benefit to shooting this drill?

r/DCP

NOTE: U12ARMRESL, IUSEDTOBERICH, AND BBB - PLEASE STAY OUT OF THIS THREAD. YOU WILL ADD NOTHING EXCEPT INSULTS AND ONCE AGAIN HIJACK A THREAD. PLEASE, JUST DONT POST ANYTHING HERE, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!!!

Who created this drill?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/97c7d.png

I have no idea Fran. I do remember seeing this similar version in a pool magazine article by Mark Wilson. Its where you shoot the CB through two object balls. I just modified it so you were actually shooting a ball through the two object balls.

I assume you dont like it?

r/DCP

It's just a drill. Sheesh. I've used coat hangars bent into croquet type gates. You wanna talk tough pockets... lol...

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
Making it through the gate puts you in the pocket by default, but I don't see how it teaches you to aim at the pocket when the gate isn't there.

pj
chgo

DrCue'sProtege

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Making it through the gate puts you in the pocket by default, but I don't see how it teaches you to aim at the pocket when the gate isn't there.

pj
chgo

This is not what I would call an Aiming drill. Probably more of a stroke drill. If you dont align good, and of course aim good, and ultimately stroke good, you wont have success on this shot. In my mind this shot really forces you to focus and concentrate.

r/DCP

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
This is not what I would call an Aiming drill. Probably more of a stroke drill. If you dont align good, and of course aim good, and ultimately stroke good, you wont have success on this shot. In my mind this shot really forces you to focus and concentrate.

r/DCP
Either way I don't see what the pocket adds to the drill. The target is the gate.

pj
chgo

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://pad-v1.chalkysticks.com/97c7d.png

I have no idea Fran. I do remember seeing this similar version in a pool magazine article by Mark Wilson. Its where you shoot the CB through two object balls. I just modified it so you were actually shooting a ball through the two object balls.

I assume you dont like it?

r/DCP

I don't really understand it. I thought maybe if I knew who created it, I would be able to understand their intent.

Buzzard II

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, PJ sees it as a aiming (gate) drill. DCP sees it more as a stroke drill.

I see it more as an eye pattern/psychology drill. Especially bbb's staggered version. I know when I can make a shot clearing any almost blocking balls there's a part of my subconscious saying don't hit the damn blocker. Strict adherence to your eye pattern (tunnel vision on the OB) allows you to squeak by the blockers and make the OB.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

pj
chgo

Right but aiming through the gate IS the shot and accuracy is accuracy except, I theorize, here:

The only issue I see is you may develop a dependency on the channeling effect of having obstacles in the shot image where if you find yourself with a sequence of long, high tolerance shots - 9 ball for FI, you may experience an involuntary "whiteout" blindness. Consistent method is everything here.

There are many 14.1/ 1hole guys (maybe all?) who wont take shots in open rack games like 9 and 10 ball simply because the obstacles in the former games become crutches of reference and are absent in the latter.

Patrick Johnson

Fish of the Day
Silver Member
There are many 14.1/ 1hole guys (maybe all?) who wont take shots in open rack games like 9 and 10 ball simply because the obstacles in the former games become crutches of reference and are absent in the latter.
How would you know that? And since when are those obstacles unique to 14.1?

pj
chgo

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How would you know that? And since when are those obstacles unique to 14.1?

pj
chgo

I did say theory and nothing about uniqueness even though you will never find 14 ball "herds" in any short rotation game. it's the close proximity of the obstacles that zone the eyes into um, shot making acuity. The inverse is probably true in 9 and 10 ball. The wide open spaces may be geometrically disorienting. Why for instance do players make the early shots in 9 ball and fail on the duck half of the game when position and therefore pocketing should be easier?

FranCrimi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Interesting, PJ sees it as a aiming (gate) drill. DCP sees it more as a stroke drill.

I see it more as an eye pattern/psychology drill. Especially bbb's staggered version. I know when I can make a shot clearing any almost blocking balls there's a part of my subconscious saying don't hit the damn blocker. Strict adherence to your eye pattern (tunnel vision on the OB) allows you to squeak by the blockers and make the OB.

BINGO! I think that's the main purpose. I received a PM from one of our very intelligent posters who mentioned that Phil Capelle talked about a similar drill, but the purpose is to train the player to not be distracted by balls sitting very close to the line of the shot. For that purpose, it's a good drill. But I do think that the way the OP set up the drill makes it look like the two balls are a guide for the player to practice the shot. That just encourages the player to focus on those two balls. The real point is to be able to see them but not be distracted by them, so setting them up in a more scattered pattern would be better.

Last edited: