Arizona State Championships

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
The board of directors for the The Arizona Billiards Hall of Fame has decided to undertake the task of becoming a sanctioning body and promoter of Arizona State Championships. The plan calls for at least two championship tournaments per year - one in 8-ball and one in 9-ball. Each championship tournament is to be broken into four separate divisions, with each division playing non-handicapped, double-elimination contests, with guaranteed added monies and state titles for each of those divisions. The divisions are: Div 1 (Expert), Div 2 (Advanced), Div 3 (Intermediate), and Div 4 (Novice). The added monies and entry fees for the divisions are as follows: Div 1 = $1,500 added & $100 entry; Div 2 = $1,250 added & $75 entry; Div 3 = $1,000 added & $50 entry; Div 4 = $750 added & $25 entry.

The championships will be open to all paid AZBHOF members ($10 annual membership fee). There are no other restrictions such as those regarding state residence, gender, or league affiliations. Upon applying for membership each person is asked to assess their own skill level by choosing whether they think they are Expert, Advanced, Intermediate, or Novice. They are also asked to provide any and all league and player ratings they may have been assigned. If any player's provided ratings don't substantiate that player's personal skill assessment, the AZBHOF will make a determination on which division that player will compete in. In cases where the AZBHOF needs to make such determinations, they will employ Phil Capelle's "Pyramid of Excellence" skill level descriptions from his book, Play Your Best Pool, in conjunction with Dr. Dave's ratings conversion chart from his Billiard University website. Any member wishing to play, but having no ratings or other information available to verify that player's skill level, will be required to play in the highest division (Div 1) for their first championship, and their true skill level can be determined from that performance for their next championship.

Does this sound like a fair and equitable plan for everyone involved?

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The board of directors for the The Arizona Billiards Hall of Fame has decided to undertake the task of becoming a sanctioning body and promoter of Arizona State Championships. The plan calls for at least two championship tournaments per year - one in 8-ball and one in 9-ball. Each championship tournament is to be broken into four separate divisions, with each division playing non-handicapped, double-elimination contests, with guaranteed added monies and state titles for each of those divisions. The divisions are: Div 1 (Expert), Div 2 (Advanced), Div 3 (Intermediate), and Div 4 (Novice). The added monies and entry fees for the divisions are as follows: Div 1 = $1,500 added & $100 entry; Div 2 = $1,250 added & $75 entry; Div 3 = $1,000 added & $50 entry; Div 4 = $750 added & $25 entry.

The championships will be open to all paid AZBHOF members ($10 annual membership fee). There are no other restrictions such as those regarding state residence, gender, or league affiliations. Upon applying for membership each person is asked to assess their own skill level by choosing whether they think they are Expert, Advanced, Intermediate, or Novice. They are also asked to provide any and all league and player ratings they may have been assigned. If any player's provided ratings don't substantiate that player's personal skill assessment, the AZBHOF will make a determination on which division that player will compete in. In cases where the AZBHOF needs to make such determinations, they will employ Phil Capelle's "Pyramid of Excellence" skill level descriptions from his book, Play Your Best Pool, in conjunction with Dr. Dave's ratings conversion chart from his Billiard University website. Any member wishing to play, but having no ratings or other information available to verify that player's skill level, will be required to play in the highest division (Div 1) for their first championship, and their true skill level can be determined from that performance for their next championship.

Does this sound like a fair and equitable plan for everyone involved?
I understand the need let everyone play regardless of residency, but I wish it was just for AZ residents.

What are the anticipated Fargo cutoffs for each division?

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
I understand the need let everyone play regardless of residency, but I wish it was just for AZ residents.

This tournament is designed to be inviting to all players, not just those who are active in any given league or tournament system. It is a fact that anyone who plays pool can be put into one of four different skill categories. The AZBHOF anticipates that it should not be a huge problem to identify which one of those four categories that any player should fall into. Granted, there will be players who are at the high end of each division, and there will be players who will be at the low end of each division, and the players at the low end are probably not going to win the championship for their division. But that's pool. You jump into a competition to see where you stand, and then you work to improve and give yourself a better chance next time. And the idea with these championships is to keep players from being blown away the first time out because they unknowingly got into a competition that was way "over their heads."

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This tournament is designed to be inviting to all players, not just those who are active in any given league or tournament system. It is a fact that anyone who plays pool can be put into one of four different skill categories. The AZBHOF anticipates that it should not be a huge problem to identify which one of those four categories that any player should fall into. Granted, there will be players who are at the high end of each division, and there will be players who will be at the low end of each division, and the players at the low end are probably not going to win the championship for their division. But that's pool. You jump into a competition to see where you stand, and then you work to improve and give yourself a better chance next time. And the idea with these championships is to keep players from being blown away the first time out because they unknowingly got into a competition that was way "over their heads."
I completely agree! I don't expect everyone to have a fargo rating. I'm just wondering if you can give an estimate about the skill levels. I'm just trying to figure out where I would fit in.

Roger Long

Sonoran Cue Creations
Silver Member
https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf
This is a link to Dr. Dave's ratings comparison chart. In it he has descriptive player levels which are the ones that the AZBHOF will be using, except that the AZBHOF calls Dave's "Pro/Shortstop" levels Experts and calls his "Beginner/Novice" levels all Novices. With that being the only exception, you can follow those descriptive lines over to see how they compare with Fargo ratings. But what may be most important, however, is how do you see yourself? Would you consider yourself Expert, Advanced, Intermediate, or Novice? That's the starting point for everybody, and ratings are only used for the purpose of verification (and preferably from more than one source, as well).

Another thing to keep in mind is that players have the option to play in a higher level bracket than the one assigned. Some people enjoy that type of challenge. It's the ones who insist on playing in a lower bracket - and/or insist that players they are afraid of should play in a higher bracket - are the ones who need watching.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://billiarduniversity.org/documents/BU_Rating_Comparisons.pdf
This is a link to Dr. Dave's ratings comparison chart. In it he has descriptive player levels which are the ones that the AZBHOF will be using, except that the AZBHOF calls Dave's "Pro/Shortstop" levels Experts and calls his "Beginner/Novice" levels all Novices. With that being the only exception, you can follow those descriptive lines over to see how they compare with Fargo ratings. But what may be most important, however, is how do you see yourself? Would you consider yourself Expert, Advanced, Intermediate, or Novice? That's the starting point for everybody, and ratings are only used for the purpose of verification (and preferably from more than one source, as well).

Another thing to keep in mind is that players have the option to play in a higher level bracket than the one assigned. Some people enjoy that type of challenge. It's the ones who insist on playing in a lower bracket - and/or insist that players they are afraid of should play in a higher bracket - are the ones who need watching.
That's about what I was looking for. I'm right where I thought I'd be. Thanks.

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

What the Swedish Billiard Federation is doing (population of 10 million, similar to that of Arizona) is allowing non residents in the Elite Division but not in the other three.

There is a 450 & under Division, a 550 & under Division, a 650 & under Division, and an Open/Elite Division. Players may enter a higher division if they choose.

Sweden has had a successful system for a long time called the SPT, Swedish Pool Tour that just this year is adopting Fargo Ratings. There are local regional tournaments each month at the different levels. Elite tournaments are called SPT-1000. Classes 1, 2, and 3 are SPT-500, SPT-250, and SPT-125. The numbers indicate the maximum number of points a player can earn by winning an event. They used to do subjective ratings, and that had all the known problems of subjective ratings. So it has been exciting to them that pool now has a universal rating approach designed to rate all of us on the same scale.

1624393580715.png

Last edited:

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What the Swedish Billiard Federation is doing (population of 10 million, similar to that of Arizona) is allowing non residents in the Elite Division but not in the other three.

There is a 450 & under Division, a 550 & under Division, a 650 & under Division, and an Open/Elite Division. Players may enter a higher division if they choose.

Sweden has had a successful system for a long time called the SPT, Swedish Pool Tour that just this year is adopting Fargo Ratings. There are local regional tournaments each month at the different levels. Class-1 tournaments are called SPT-1000. The others are SPT-500, SPT-250, and SPT-125. The numbers indicate the maximum number of points a player can earn by winning an event. They used to do subjective ratings, and that had all the known problems of subjective ratings. So it has been exciting to them that pool now has a universal rating approach designed to rate all of us on the same scale.

View attachment 599609
I like the way CSI decides the brackets in Vegas. Instead of a firm number (650 and under), they break the divisions down by size. I think the cutoff for the Platinum division usually is around 610. This might keep people from dumping a few matches to shave a few points from their ratings.

Reactions: Pin

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
I never realized this is what AZ Billiards stood for... :D

If you're worried about people trying to sneak into lower divisions (I would be), you could pay very little prize money (or give prize items, like a reasonably-priced cue for novices) to take away the financial incentive to sneak into a low bracket.

People should be all about those tin cups, especially in the lower divisions. (I know I would be!)

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
I never realized this is what AZ Billiards stood for... :D

If you're worried about people trying to sneak into lower divisions (I would be), you could pay very little prize money (or give prize items, like a reasonably-priced cue for novices) to take away the financial incentive to sneak into a low bracket.

People should be all about those tin cups, especially in the lower divisions. (I know I would be!)

As I understand it AZ Billiards Stands for all thing Billiards, from A to Z.

Nothing to do with Arizona except Mike Howerton own site, he lives in Arizona.

If you look at the AZ billiard site, it is way more than STATE 48.😊

skogstokig

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Sweden has had a successful system for a long time called the SPT, Swedish Pool Tour that just this year is adopting Fargo Ratings. There are local regional tournaments each month at the different levels. Class-1 tournaments are called SPT-1000. The others are SPT-500, SPT-250, and SPT-125. The numbers indicate the maximum number of points a player can earn by winning an event. They used to do subjective ratings, and that had all the known problems of subjective ratings. So it has been exciting to them that pool now has a universal rating approach designed to rate all of us on the same scale.

View attachment 599609

i think SPT-500 is class 1, SPT-1000 is elite. but this sounds good considering they let former world championship finalist and mosconi cup team member tom storm play in class 2 some year ago lol

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i think SPT-500 is class 1, SPT-1000 is elite. but this sounds good considering they let former world championship finalist and mosconi cup team member tom storm play in class 2 some year ago lol
Ah, yes. Thank you. I fixed it.

Pin

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Nothing to do with Arizona except Mike Howerton own site, he lives in Arizona.
Oh, maybe there was a little bit of AZ - Arizona at the beginning...

Probably Pool-chat must have been Charlotte and Atlanta.

Where did Jeff Bezos start out?

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
Wrong. Go to the home page, scroll to the bottom, click on "about AZBilliards". It clearly says that they started as a local AZ news page, and quickly spread to the rest of the world.

thats about 200 regular users that post

and most of the billiard industry titans

the world isnt that big when its the same people. that just means it has a carrying capacity, regulars wont quit.

Arizona could attract more players with a shiny new event. I went to a few different states to watch pool and some countries.

What is there in Arizona anyway?

Last edited:

CocoboloCowboy

Cowboys are my hero's
Silver Member
thats about 200 regular users that post

and most of the billiard industry titans

the works isnt that big when its the same people. that just means it has a carrying capacity, regulars wont quit.

Arizona could attract more players with a shiny new event. I went to a few different states to watch pool and some countries.

What is there in Arizona anyway?

In Arizona we got Dry Heat, and if you venture up to Flagstaff in Winter you can go Snow Skiing.

We also got four seasons plus the Grand Canyon.

So that is what we got.

justnum

Billiards Improvement Research Projects Associate
Silver Member
In Arizona we got Dry Heat, and if you venture up to Flagstaff in Winter you can go Snow Skiing.

We also got four seasons plus the Grand Canyon.

So that is what we got.

what is roughly ratio of single middle aged women to single men out there?

that could be the deciding factor