Article says : "Hitting a Baseball is the Hardest Skill to Pull Off in Sports." -- Not IMO

arnaldo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://tinyurl.com/2a3nydcs

IMO Professional-level pool requires a much broader range of skills -- usually wrought by a lifetime of practice-ingrained feel for the game's physics.

It's true of course that nothing in pool involves action that exceeds 38 MPH (as in monster 9-ball breaks).

We're all about repeatable, millimeter-precise execution rather than milli-second decisions.

Arnaldo ~ Interesting subject -- comparing the physical and mental/instinctive demands of different sports. I've hit far less than ten home runs in my life, so what do I know.

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://tinyurl.com/2a3nydcs

IMO Professional-level pool requires a much broader range of skills -- usually wrought by a lifetime of practice-ingrained feel for the game's physics.

It's true of course that nothing in pool involves action that exceeds 38 MPH (as in monster 9-ball breaks).

We're all about repeatable, millimeter-precise execution rather than milli-second decisions.

Arnaldo ~ Interesting subject -- comparing the physical and mental/instinctive demands of different sports. I've hit far less than ten home runs in my life, so what do I know.
Dodging a bullet. But I don’t recommend putting yourself in a position to try it.

DeeDeeCues

Ever tried hitting 180 on a dart board? Hitting a baseball is way easier.

I'm not a good dart player and I hit a180. Once. Law of odds.

Hitting one pitch, anyone can do once, given enough time. Making good contact isn't likely.

Baseball players literally work for years to be able to consistently hit baseballs at the pro level, and most aren't near the level of the great hitters.

Comparing pool to hitting against a pro pitcher is ludicrous.

I'm no lover of baseball, at all. My uncle was a head pitching coach for a MLB team. What those guys do is amazing. Hitting off those guys is insanely hard.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Golf (can't even drive the damned things) and pool have passive balls/objects. Baseball has an active, artificial intelligence driven ball that acts to trick the shooter.

CanadianGuy

hitting a baseball with a velocity north of 85mph is beyond tough,
basically a near impossibility for middle aged adults playing recreationally

its not a fun task either not in the least, hence the popularity of slo pitch which is a ton of fun

comparing the difficulty level of sports/skills is a near impossibility also

personally i think the best athletes on earth are playing world soccer, and NBA basketball which is not to say they play the hardest sport

obviously this can be debated endlessly

myself, I've found indoor team volleyball to be crazy difficult

336Robin

Multiverse Operative
Silver Member
Gaelic Football rates up there with the most difficult. Fans are nuts! Its the Clans doing battle on the sporting field.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tough comparison. If you average 300 hitting a baseball over the course of a baseball career you're in the hall of Fame.

If you run 300 in straight pool or run a 100 every day for 10 years but never win a title you're not getting in the Bca hall of Fame.

Tough to measure metrics in pool which is what defines baseball.

What is equal in pool to hitting a home run? Making the hardest shot on the table? Running a 5 pack? Running a 100 in straight pool?

Pool needs more statistics.

Played ball in college a bit.

The guys that got to the minor leagues, they were amazing.

The Show? Unbelievable.

You have no idea what it is like to stand at the plate with a 95 MPH pitcher on the mound. It's even worse squatting behind the plate when the pitcher is ignoring your signals and putting the heat on.

poolnut7879

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Of course it entirely depends on who is throwing the baseball. Just as pools difficulty is dependent on who is sitting in the chair.
If you played the best player in the world say a race to 7 and ran out the set does it matter that he was sitting in the chair?

I agree that it matters who is throwing the baseball, but try and get a hit of the best pitcher in the world.