Article says : "Hitting a Baseball is the Hardest Skill to Pull Off in Sports." -- Not IMO

pw98

Registered
My statement that pool needs more statistics wasn't meant to mean that it would solve the issues that pool faces.

I think that pool would be more interesting if they're were other stats available such as spin rate on cue ball, object ball speed, cue ball speed, rate of slide vs. rolling, cue ball distance from rail, avg of cue ball distance from rail, total cue ball travel in a match, etc. etc. Maybe you can add more.

Maybe one of the ball makers can add RFID technology to the balls to make this happen. Then we could have measurable stats that lets players compare themselves and have bench marks for possible handicapping that is fair and not subjective which in turn could help grow the game.
I dont even think you need a sensor in the cue ball you just need high speed camera, measle ball with different color/shape dots, and the right software.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Which means that a baseball can actually curve/sink/rise right into your swing trajectory. :):)
Rod Carew….Tony Guinn….Joe DiMaggio…Hank Aaron……
there are so many great hitters that made hitting an art form.

Same goes for pitching of the past when players tossed complete
games and their pitch count was not even a consideration like today.

But even the best hitters had to anticipate the type of pitch coming
next and where it would arrive over the plate so they could get a hit.

Doesn’t matter if the pitch curved, dipped, was low & away or high &
tight. The batter swings where he believes the pitch would be on the plate.

Sometimes a player guesses right and other times he can look foolish.
The best hitter that ever played failed to get on base 6 out of 10 times.

Doesn’t matter how the pitch arrives over the plate as long as the batter
swings the barrel of the bat where he thinks it will be & hopefully he’s right.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Boggs, Gwynn, Carew, Brett, Suzuki, ROSE! Some of the greatest pure hitters of all time. I'm old enough to remember Ted Williams, Stan Musial and Frank Robinson. These guys could hit and hit some more. They thrived on pressure situations.
What about Ken Griffey Sr. ? I was a fan and then along came Jr. In my humble opinion the pretty est most perfect swing. Was sweating his consecutive home run in a game record, when it ended with a line drive that struck the fence in center.
Plus I got to see him standing next to his brand new Ferrari on Coal Creek Parkway exit from the 405. On the way home from the dealership he was rear-ended.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
8 STRAIGHT GAMES
Ken Griffey, Jr., Mariners, July 20-28, 1993

Griffey began his streak with a solo shot at Yankee Stadium on July 20 in a game in which Don Mattingly -- who tied the MLB record with homers in eight straight games six years earlier -- also went deep. Junior homered again the next day vs. the Bronx Bombers, and then each day during a four-game series in Cleveland before heading home to Seattle with a six-game streak under his belt.

After making it seven straight with a third-inning grand slam vs. the Twins, Griffey tied the MLB mark with a solo homer in the seventh inning the next day. Griffey's quest to become the first player to homer in nine straight ended July 29, when he went 2-for-4, including a double off the wall in center field in the third.

Jr. swing was for line drives. Freaking beautiful.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
I can't remember where I was even what state but remember that line drive that struck the fence 6' up. Oh yeah, maybe an even sweeter shot than the first 8.

dquarasr

Registered
The most difficult skill in all sports is dropping to your knees in front of a 100mph slap shot in hockey to block it. Period.
Most people cannot do it even once.
I played Peewee and Bantam ice hockey and later on my high school team. Very good skater; terrible hockey player.

Somewhere around 12 or 13 years old, the defenseman with THE heaviest slap shot was at the point and wound up. I was about 20 feet away. I should have rushed him and taken the shot in the shin pads or gotten out of the way to give the goalie a good look. But instead I froze. (Bad idea!)

He got under it a little too much. The puck was aimed right at my face. I turned my head. The puck found the area between my helmet and shoulder pad. I took it in that sensitive area on the back of the jaw just below the ear. Holy crap, did that hurt!! Couldn’t chew food for a few days.

Never did that again.

Bavafongoul

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I am a die hard Yankees fan. Their rosters over the years are filled with baseball immortals.
But the player that stands out in my mind as likely the greatest hitter that ever lived wasn’t.

Stan the man was incredible, Ruth was amazing, as was his teammate, Gehrig. Lots of others
in Yankees lore come to mind but the player that stands out in the crowd of names is Mr. Aaron.

He passed away a year ago and in my mind, he sits atop the names of baseball greats. Examine
his records. No one will replace him in all these categories. The fact he dominates so many is nuts.

Other players you can mention deserve recognition. But when all is said, done and written, the MLB
HOF should create a special category for the best all round hitter to ever play the game…..Hank Aaron.

20 seasons of 20+ homer runs, MLB All Star 25 times, 3rd in total hits, 4th in runs scored, 1st in total
bases (722 more than Musial), 1st in extra base hits, 1st in RBIs, 4th in intentional walks, 5th in WAR
for position players. Hank’s records seem endless. Aside from his home run record, and Hank never
used PEDs like other players have, and games played, he was ageless. From 1969-73, Hank led MLB
in slugging and OPS and that period was when he was 35-39 yrs old. His hit total breaks down like this:
1, 714 home runs, 2,285 triples, 3,428 doubles but he was only voted MVP once. Examine his MLB records
and compare him to all the other greats. Hank Aaron stands out as the best all round hitter that ever played.

ShootingArts

Smorg is giving St Peter the 7!
Gold Member
Silver Member
I am a die hard Yankees fan. Their rosters over the years are filled with baseball immortals.
But the player that stands out in my mind as likely the greatest hitter that ever lived wasn’t.

Stan the man was incredible, Ruth was amazing, as was his teammate, Gehrig. Lots of others
in Yankees lore come to mind but the player that stands out in the crowd of names is Mr. Aaron.

He passed away a year ago and in my mind, he sits atop the names of baseball greats. Examine
his records. No one will replace him in all these categories. The fact he dominates so many is nuts.

Other players you can mention deserve recognition. But when all is said, done and written, the MLB
HOF should create a special category for the best all round hitter to ever play the game…..Hank Aaron.

20 seasons of 20+ homer runs, MLB All Star 25 times, 3rd in total hits, 4th in runs scored, 1st in total
bases (722 more than Musial), 1st in extra base hits, 1st in RBIs, 4th in intentional walks, 5th in WAR
for position players. Hank’s records seem endless. Aside from his home run record, and Hank never
used PEDs like other players have, and games played, he was ageless. From 1969-73, Hank led MLB
in slugging and OPS and that period was when he was 35-39 yrs old. His hit total breaks down like this:
1, 714 home runs, 2,285 triples, 3,428 doubles but he was only voted MVP once. Examine his MLB records
and compare him to all the other greats. Hank Aaron stands out as the best all round hitter that ever played.

Aside from all of that, he had class! There was a lot of serious hate directed his way when he was closing in on Babe's record. He pretty much ignored it and just hit balls.

Hu

johnnysd

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
https://tinyurl.com/2a3nydcs

IMO Professional-level pool requires a much broader range of skills -- usually wrought by a lifetime of practice-ingrained feel for the game's physics.

It's true of course that nothing in pool involves action that exceeds 38 MPH (as in monster 9-ball breaks).

We're all about repeatable, millimeter-precise execution rather than milli-second decisions.

Arnaldo ~ Interesting subject -- comparing the physical and mental/instinctive demands of different sports. I've hit far less than ten home runs in my life, so what do I know.
I think there is a ton of skill in pool but it is not in the same world as hitting a baseball at a professional level.