Yea....That just happened
Silver Member
Everyone's always posting what if's, so ill try it

Efren & earl(in their prime) vs svb & Orcullo

Who wins an all around partners match?

PoolBum

Ace in the side.
Silver Member
As crazy as it sounds, the weakest link out of the four is SVB, imo. In their prime I'd have to go with Efren and Earl.

seven_7days

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was thinking Efren & Earl in their prime is as sick as it gets
...but teamed up together ?

Attachments

• forget about it.jpg
    forget about it.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 481

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member
Everyone's always posting what if's, so ill try it

Efren & earl(in their prime) vs svb & Orcullo

Who wins an all around partners match?

I'll take Willie Mosconi and Harold Worst if the game is straight pool.
I'll take Ronnie Allen and Efren if the game is one-pocket.
I'll take Junior Weldon and Surfer Rod if the game is 6x12 golf.

uh...what game are you talking about?

West Point 1987

On the Hill, Out of Gas
Silver Member
Efren and Earl all day long...but it would need to be a long session to be sure. We're talking a rotation game here, 9/10 ball. Pattern game would be a toss up with Efren and SVB being the horses in that race; would depend on a lot of things.

While we're fantasizing, put Earl and Hall together in their prime and nobody beats them in 9 ball.

arps

tirador (ng pansit)
Silver Member
Efren and Earl would not even win against Efren and Earl. That's how good Efren and Earl are in their prime. :D

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
The funny thing is, that as I understand it, Efren played his best pool before he came to the states. Efren and Earl in there prime are pry 10-20 years apart.

If you wanted to see the best match up of all time, this match would be close. (I can't think of better)

I actually think the break of today's pool players is FAR superior to the pro's of yesteryear. This notion that some how Earl and Efren run away with it playing 9-10 ball is just crazy. All the same people that say 9&10 ball are just a break contest. Now it's not because our favorites of old are involved??? Fading SVB and Dennis O. breaking like gods isn't going to be any kind of a give away type win. Think about it...

also are we talking doubles, or scotch doubles? HUGE difference.

best,

Justin

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
I actually think the break of today's pool players is FAR superior to the pro's of yesteryear.

Could you offer some proof of this? I will offer proof that the 9 ball break of the past worked very well. Earl won a million with his break to 11, and possibly could have kept going to 20-30 having relieved the pressure of hitting the number for a million. How much better break is there today? Explain.

Masayoshi

Fusenshou no Masa
Silver Member
SVB is the weakest link in an All round match? I don't think so

It depends on the games you pick, but I'd say that's a pretty fair assessment.

He wouldn't be the best at any game among the 4 and his only stand out game besides 10 ball would be one pocket, where he comes in a distant second to Efren, who is more than likely the top all around player in the modern era.

Earl is the best of the 4 in 9 ball and straight pool and Dennis is a monster at 10 ball, rotation, and 8 ball (probably tied with Efren for the best rotation and 8 ball player) and his one pocket is quite strong as well.

I guess if you throw bar table in the mix, Shane might be ranked higher, but in terms of the games all of them play regularly, he just doesn't beat the other guys (although he is only a half step behind).

As for the doubles match up, it could go either way, even in a relatively long race. All four of these guys are only a hair apart in any game, but in the very, very long run, I would give it to Efren and Earl.

Last edited:

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
Could you offer some proof of this? I will offer proof that the 9 ball break of the past worked very well. Earl won a million with his break to 11, and possibly could have kept going to 20-30 having relieved the pressure of hitting the number for a million. How much better break is there today? Explain.

Your statement is valid, but it is pretty much accepted Shane has the best 10 ball break of all time. His 9-ball break is not bad either. Why don't you ask Earl how good his 9 ball break works agains SVB...

Also, in a format that allow's soft break Corey would more consistantly beat Earl.

flyvirginiaguy

Classic Cue Lover
Silver Member
Your statement is valid, but it is pretty much accepted Shane has the best 10 ball break of all time. His 9-ball break is not bad either. Why don't you ask Earl how good his 9 ball break works agains SVB...

Also, in a format that allow's soft break Corey would more consistantly beat Earl.

10 Ball was not even thought of much in Earl's prime playing years, so it would be sort of difficult to compare a 10 ball break now. Earl is what 50 something now? So I guess he would say SVB has a better break.

I like both of their games, but players of the past were no dummies, nor were they weak on the break in their primes. Their games were as good or better than anyone today. If Sigel was still in his prime and played the game as seriously as he did then, I would have my bet on him in some 9 ball against anyone today over the long haul. Even Efren would agree I am sure :)

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member
10 Ball was not even thought of much in Earl's prime playing years, so it would be sort of difficult to compare a 10 ball break now. Earl is what 50 something now? So I guess he would say SVB has a better break.

I like both of their games, but players of the past were no dummies, nor were they weak on the break in their primes. Their games were as good or better than anyone today. If Sigel was still in his prime and played the game as seriously as he did then, I would have my bet on him in some 9 ball against anyone today over the long haul. Even Efren would agree I am sure :)

Stating they broke then like they break now, is like saying Jack Nicholas in his prime could drive like Tiger does now. They are worlds apart.

My argument is the same for pool, that it is for golf, football, basketball, or anything else for that matter. INFORMATION IS KING. SVB had/has access to info that the greats of years past didn't. Look at how many high caliber short stops are out there. Look at how I can play after only 4 years of play. I can play as good or better than guys that have been at it for 20-30.

The same reason why Kobe was more talanted than Jordan, Lebron will ultimately be better than both, and the guy after him will be even better, is simple. As info to better training techniques, proper form, etc. are easier to get, more & better players/athletes will turn up. This is of course applicable to pool only if it survives...

I like looking at the past to see where we are now. Just look at Mosconi as a prime example. his 526 mark is THE mark in pool. Guys are out there running 300 & 400+ runs that hardly play the game. John Schmidt came out and said the reason why the record stands is because no one cares enough to beat it. there is no reason to hit the mark.

I like thinking in their prime this is a slug fest. I'm not saying either side walks away from the other. I'm simply stating be real about the chances. To say Dennis and Shane have no chance, is the same as saying that Tiger had no chance against Jack. There is no way to prove it. Just chalk it up as the greatest match of all time.

best,

Justin

jhanso18

Broken Lock
Silver Member

I think earl in his prime nine balling against a Corey Duel soft break, would be interesting.