backing someone

hon400ex

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was wondering what the arrangement is when you back someone in a tournament? I am thinking of backing someone in a local tournament with a $60 entry. I assume that I will pay the entry and all the quarters. He lives here, also. Should I pay for his meals? Do we split 50/50 or do I take out expenses and then split it? I haven't even approached the guy yet but wanted to do it fairly. Any advice is greatly appreciated.
Andy

Robert58

AzB Gold Member
Silver Member
I thought in the old days it was 60/40. I know if I am going to back someone I will get a larger slice of the pie.

Robert

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
fair

It's generally 50/50 after expenses.

Yep, whatever the player wins the stakehorse gets the entry fee and quarters back first, then I split 50.50. If it is a road trip then gas, and hotel also come off the top before a profit is split.

:confused:

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Everything is negotiable IMO.

If the guy is a stranger and actually can't afford a $60 entry on his own then you have all the leverage and could even go to 75/25, if a relationship builds and he makes you money you can start giving him more.

If it's a friend then you can go closer to 50/50. but still higher % to you since it's your money at risk.

markpatrick

Cardinals
Silver Member
backing a stranger?

Everything is negotiable IMO.

If the guy is a stranger and actually can't afford a $60 entry on his own then you have all the leverage and could even go to 75/25, if a relationship builds and he makes you money you can start giving him more.

If it's a friend then you can go closer to 50/50. but still higher % to you since it's your money at risk.

OK
How often do you back a stranger in a pool tournament?

I want to play in the US Open, will you stake me? I need a plane ticket, hotel and entry, I will buy my own food and drinks and I will accept 25 percent of the profits should I hit the board? Let me know.

:help::help::help::help::help:

pletho

NON "ACTION KNOCKER"
Silver Member
Here is my suggestion... which is used alot with poker staking. And it honestly seems the best way.

Although most pool players will not like this, but if they are broke, then they cant be beggers and choosers both.

#1 The backer gets 50 percent, the player gets 50 percent.

If the player loses the stake, then the backer is owed the stake from any future scores before the staked player gets any money.

#2 Or you could go with just s 60/40 split and the backer getting 60% only. (if you are on the road, and paying for all expenses, then 65/35 or 70/30 for sure....... dont be a sucker, if they don't like it, tell them to find someone who is a sucker)

I personally do not like to back pool players, because they expect to much even though they are risking nothing.

If your the one asking them, and they are not asking you, you can decide to take on more risk, since you approached them. But for the most part all I have ever seen is a broke player wanting to get backed and take no risk at all and expect the world from you....

If I do back someone it will be system #1 above.

Last edited:

Danktrees

RIP RS
Silver Member
50/50 is extremely low. even 60/40 is low. consider if you're just backing someone in a money game, lets say you do it for 60 dollars on a 60/40 split, your horse has to win 62.50% of the time in order for that bet to break even. That's why I never understood why people would back others in a money game. even at 80/20 you'd still have to be a 55.56% fav to break even. So unless you're really that much better than your opponent it's not a good bet.

I can't say if it's good for you to back your friend in this tourny because i don't know your payout, if the tourny is handicapped, how many players there are, how good your friend plays etc. but generally speaking, unless your friend has a a significant advantage, it probably wont be a good idea to back him on a 50/50 split, you're very likely to make absolutely no money. it also makes no sense to split 50/50 as you're the one assuming all of the risk. whether this is a good idea or not really depends on how likely your friend is to succeed but thats not something i can answer due to all of the unknown variables. i'm pretty sure that you're an underdog in this though if you decide to go through with it.

one thing to remember too, if you're going to back him, make sure you let the td know or something and have the td verify with the player before play begins. cuz if the td doesnt know, any winnings will be paid out to your friend and from that point it might be hard to get back expenses, he might just give you half and tell you to go away.

Lumocolor

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK

I want to play in the US Open, will you stake me? I need a plane ticket, hotel and entry, I will buy my own food and drinks and I will accept 25 percent of the profits should I hit the board? Let me know.

I can know of you without knowing you. As in, oh yeah i have seen that guy before and he plays well, but i don't give 2 shits if he gets hit by a bus tomorrow.

And i've backed some online poker players that i've never met face to face before, show me some of your tournament results and if you have a nice ROI maybe we can work something out.

Last edited:

scsuxci

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
50/50 is extremely low. even 60/40 is low. consider if you're just backing someone in a money game, lets say you do it for 60 dollars on a 60/40 split, your horse has to win 62.50% of the time in order for that bet to break even. That's why I never understood why people would back others in a money game. even at 80/20 you'd still have to be a 55.56% fav to break even. So unless you're really that much better than your opponent it's not a good bet.

I can't say if it's good for you to back your friend in this tourny because i don't know your payout, if the tourny is handicapped, how many players there are, how good your friend plays etc. but generally speaking, unless your friend has a a significant advantage, it probably wont be a good idea to back him on a 50/50 split, you're very likely to make absolutely no money. it also makes no sense to split 50/50 as you're the one assuming all of the risk. whether this is a good idea or not really depends on how likely your friend is to succeed but thats not something i can answer due to all of the unknown variables. i'm pretty sure that you're an underdog in this though if you decide to go through with it.

one thing to remember too, if you're going to back him, make sure you let the td know or something and have the td verify with the player before play begins. cuz if the td doesnt know, any winnings will be paid out to your friend and from that point it might be hard to get back expenses, he might just give you half and tell you to go away.
100% dead-on.This pretty well sums it up perfectly.Good post Cedric.

Fat Jonny

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
OK

LMAO!:grin:
Brilliant!