Bad Day in Dallas

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No rush Rod...

I guess we don't want to hold our breath 'til Rod responds...It only took him 3 years to respond to this thread...:rolleyes: :)

He waited so long...he and I may be the only ones still above ground, from that night...:wave:

Last edited:

jay helfert

Shoot Pool, not people
Gold Member
Silver Member
George was bad. TJ was tough.
Country Smith was just plain crazy and dangerous.

He and I were in the Playboy club (not the nice one) in Houston and while I was playing he got in a fight for no reason. He beat the guy near to death and bit off his ear and spit it out on the bar.

Another time he got me out of a bar down on the docks with a shotgun.
He drew down on the whole place and said "come on Billy we're going."
I was very glad to see him at the time.

Bill Stroud

The places we went into to play pool boggles my mind today. Like you, I went into most of them alone. But I NEVER hustled anyone and tried to be as friendly as possible, especially with the biggest guys in the joint. It worked most of the time, but not always. I had to run for the door a couple of times and sneak out the back a time or two also. And more than once, I lost on purpose. 95% of the time everything went as planned, the other 5% was not so good. I ALWAYS had a small gun on me, just in case. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I didn't want to get killed over a pool game.

Pool (for money) is a far more peaceful pursuit today. When I play it is usually with guys who have money, a lot more than me. :wink:

Last edited:

SJDinPHX

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The places we went into to play pool boggles my mind today. Like you, I went into most of them alone. But I NEVER hustled anyone and tried to be as friendly as possible, especially with the biggest guys in the joint. It worked most of the time, but not always. I had to run for the door a couple of times and sneak out the back a time or two also. And more than once, I lost on purpose. 95% of the time everything went as planned, the other 5% was not so good. I ALWAYS had a small gun on me, just in case. Sorry if that offends anyone, but I didn't want to get killed over a pool game.

Pool (for money) is a far more peaceful pursuit today. When I play it is usually with guys who have money, a lot more than me. :wink:

Amen to that Jay...Many years ago, I was emptying out a real tough cowboy joint in Las Cruces, NM... They kept throwing the locals at me, (cheaper and cheaper, just to keep me there)... Soon found out they had called Bobby Madrid up from El Paso, and we got it on pretty good...I was alone, handling the rail and pretty much in control, when my rabbit ears picked up a really unwanted comment from one of my "well stuck" side bettors...He said to his buddy, (just loud enough for me to hear)..."Yeah, the kid's good...but he ain't bullet-proof"!...:eek:..(to be con't)

Last edited:

Rusty C

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Rod says he never quit anyone winner I know for a fact he quit Andy Olguin winner in Ruidoso.And he could of won alot of money if he would of kept playing