Bakelite Tip/ BCA League Legality

Mychoads

Registered
Hi,

I tried searching and found some info on the legality of using phenolic tips in BCA league competition. According to the rules I read it seems that any "non-leather" tip would be illegal.

I am looking for opinions/advice.....
I just started playing in a BCA league for the first time and it's been fun so far. I was going to pick up a cheap Jump/Break Cue to try out but it comes with a Bakelite tip (http://www.seyberts.com/products/Players_JB8_Jump_Break_Pool_Cue-103334-332.html).

Now when I asked the LO about the legality of using phenolic tips they said they were unaware of any rules against them. I had seen a couple of people using phenolics but I didn't want to stir the pot being new to the league scene so I didn't take the conversation any further.

So do the rules prohibit phenolic tips? And if they do and others are using them, then should I just go ahead with the philosophy that asking forgiveness is easier than permission?

Also, Is the ferrule on the players stick I was looking at one-piece?
And how hard would it be to put a hard leather tip on it if I had to?

Thanks

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
The BCA Pool League rules at one time prohibited phenolic tips. That rule was lifted a few years ago so they are allowed. Anyway if you LO says you're good to go you're good to go.

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have a Players JB6 and the tip and ferrule are separate pieces. I like mine as it was delivered, but if you desire a different tip I believe they would change it prior to shipping for a nominal fee.

Mychoads

Registered
The BCA Pool League rules at one time prohibited phenolic tips. That rule was lifted a few years ago so they are allowed. Anyway if you LO says you're good to go you're good to go.

Thanks. All of the information on rules that I read was dated, that's why I figured something might have changed.

Mychoads

Registered
I have a Players JB6 and the tip and ferrule are separate pieces. I like mine as it was delivered, but if you desire a different tip I believe they would change it prior to shipping for a nominal fee.

Ok, great. That should make it easier if I want to change it later on.

I guess you are pleased with the stick? It seems hard to beat for the price and I won't have to worry about it getting banged up in the bars where the league plays.

I've been breaking with an old "Full Tilt Poker" cue I got as a comp for playing online poker years ago but the shaft has got some good sized dings in it now and isn't very straight anymore so I was looking at replacing it.

Although I used it to break last night in the league and sunk the 9 off the break twice so it still does what it needs to do...

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Can't beat the price...

I guess you are pleased with the stick? It seems hard to beat for the price and I won't have to worry about it getting banged up in the bars where the league plays.

I've been breaking with an old "Full Tilt Poker" cue I got as a comp for playing online poker years ago but the shaft has got some good sized dings in it now and isn't very straight anymore so I was looking at replacing it.

Although I used it to break last night in the league and sunk the 9 off the break twice so it still does what it needs to do...

:)

Oh, beating the price is easy.........

http://www.ebay.com/itm/381122119830?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1558.l2649

DallasHopps

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

I've had mine for around 6-7 years I think, and love it. I bought a J&J from someone on AZ to put in a case with a cheap cue that I could leave in my truck and, while it works, I don't like it nearly as much. There's a small but perceptible difference in quality to me. The Players JB cues can usually be had for around $80 on eBay with free shipping and joint protectors.