Balabushka cue construction questions

SoonerCraft1958

Just curious, I could not find any information online. How did George Balabushka construct his ferrules? I know a few cue makers here in Oklahoma City, they both use different techniques (one uses a threaded metal rod to attach a solid furrel to the end of the wooden shaft, the other uses a wooden tenon from the shaft that's the ferrule threads on to) and both cues have completely different hits. I'm having a Balabushka tribute cue made, and that brought up the question of how George completed his cues? Any legitimate information would be appreciated along with ferrule material. 8)

Last edited:

Mr. Wiggles

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Buska style.

Just curious, I could not find any information online. How did George Balabushka construct his ferrules? I know a few cue makers here in Oklahoma City, they both use different techniques (one uses a threaded metal rod to attach a solid furrel to the end of the wooden shaft, the other uses a wooden tenon from the shaft that's the ferrule threads on to) and both cues have completely different hits. I'm having a Balabushka tribute cue made, and that brought up the question of how George completed his cues? Any legitimate information would be appreciated along with ferrule material. 8)

Jim Ingram must be one of those makers you know. If not, he would be the man as that is his style. Another would be John Guffy. Good luck.

jaetee

rack master ;)
Silver Member
I'm going to step out on a limb here and say that ferrule on tenon is the front runner here... The next question would be whether the ferrule slips over a smooth tenon and is epoxied, or if the ferrule & tenon are threaded?

WildWing

Super Gun Mod
Silver Member
I'll step further out on the limb and guess that George put ferrules over a smooth tenon, with carpenters' wood glue. Possibly epoxy in the 70s, but less likely in the 60s. I don't believe he would have had an attachment to thread a tenon, so my guess is smooth tenon.

BUFF

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Balabushka used 1 inch capped threaded ferrule with a bleed hole, he would use a threaded tenon that would go approximately 3/4 of the way in. He did his other size ferrules the same way.