banks and 1/2 ball hit

mohrt

Student of the Game
Silver Member
Recently I was talking to a (masters list) local player, and he asked me "Do you know the rule to bank shots?" I showed him the aiming system I used, then he said "Just use a 1/2 ball hit." He then setup a few of shots and I shot them in dead center using 1/2 ball hit. It seemed far too easy. In my mind, a 1/2 ball hit would work with only a small number of angles, and the shots he setup were on those lines. But maybe there is more to this I'm not thinking of. Any input on the relationship to 1/2 ball hits and banks?
 
Recently I was talking to a (masters list) local player, and he asked me "Do you know the rule to bank shots?" I showed him the aiming system I used, then he said "Just use a 1/2 ball hit." He then setup a few of shots and I shot them in dead center using 1/2 ball hit. It seemed far too easy. In my mind, a 1/2 ball hit would work with only a small number of angles, and the shots he setup were on those lines. But maybe there is more to this I'm not thinking of. Any input on the relationship to 1/2 ball hits and banks?

One theory is that you lock on to one variable (the aim point) and then you can concentrate on speed adjustments.

I read this 1/2 ball on banks idea many moons ago and do still do it today. Then you expand to include 1/4 ball and 3/4 ball hits. Suddenly, you have yourself the making of the three angle system.

Fred
 
Recently I was talking to a (masters list) local player, and he asked me "Do you know the rule to bank shots?" I showed him the aiming system I used, then he said "Just use a 1/2 ball hit." He then setup a few of shots and I shot them in dead center using 1/2 ball hit. It seemed far too easy. In my mind, a 1/2 ball hit would work with only a small number of angles, and the shots he setup were on those lines. But maybe there is more to this I'm not thinking of. Any input on the relationship to 1/2 ball hits and banks?
If in fact you hit half ball (with the center of the cue ball going exactly towards the edge of the object ball) then, yes, the balls were pretty close to the correct line. Of course you could have adjusted subconsciously a little with speed. Usually players will adjust (sometimes subconsciously) with speed, spin and changes to the actual hit in order to get to the pocket.

It's easy to set up shots in which the half-ball hit is forced and then you can see the uncorrected line. It doesn't always go to the pocket.

The half-ball idea works less well at one pocket where you often don't have the luxury of letting the cue ball go -- your speed and angle are forced by safety considerations.
 
Back
Top