Bar box topic we can agree on. Maybe lol

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
I have a 9' Diamond. I'll play on anything though.
There have been a bunch of these threads, but I don't think the Saratoga game has been brought up much.
The tournament in Wyoming is always a good one.
It's played on 7' Valley's, and there are very few break and runs by the pros.
I think most would agree that Saratoga is a pretty tough game even on an "easy" bar box.
I wish there were more pro Saratoga tournaments. On the big table too.

easy-e

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
There have been a bunch of these threads, but I don't think the Saratoga game has been brought up much.
I think most would agree that Saratoga is a pretty tough game even on an "easy" bar box.
I’ve never played it, and I don’t know all the rules, but it definitely looks like fun!

middleofnowhere

Registered
Hard game on a 7 footer.

9andout

Gunnin' for a 3 pack!!
Silver Member
whats saratoga
Hybrid of 8ball and 9 ball. 13 balls 13 is the money ball.
Screenshot_20211017-175200_Google.jpg

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It is a very difficult game- especially for amateurs, but as you said- it isn’t a walk in the park for pros either

WoodyJ

Sacred Cow=Best Hamburger
Gold Member
Silver Member
Rule clarifications:

"The game is played with six solids (1-6) and six stripes (7-12) and the winning 13 ball"

So, a special set of balls is needed? On all tables I've seen the 7 ball is a solid not a stripe (except the special striped 7 ball I have for playing 7 ball). Also, this implies that the 8 ball is not used?

"A standard set of pool balls can be used, just play without the 7 & 15."

Implies that the 8 ball is used and is last?!

Note: I played "Saratoga" for the first time last month with a friend. He played it like last pocket 8 ball with a full rack: (1) you had to make your balls (stripes or solids) in order in rotation and (2) last pocket rules -- have to make the 8 ball in the pocket you shot your last ball in. Fun game.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That is interesting....we have played 8 ball that way with 15 balls... and also a shorter version with 9 balls:

1-4, 11-14, 8 ball in the middle of the diamond shaped rack.
I brought up short 8 ball to the local league. Beneath 'em and they're mostly 4s. :rolleyes:

Saratoga works I suppose. Champs get out but it's a wreck for mortals. Couple friends and I occasionally play Hi Low 8 ball. Regular rules except you can only shoot the high or low of your set. Thinking cap required on a 7 footer.

westcoast

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
the main problem I have with this game as a spectator is that it can be very difficult to see the numbers or colors of the balls on video streams- so it is often hard to figure out what ball they are trying to get position on.

JazzyJeff87

AzB Plutonium Member
Silver Member
I’ve always used 1-6 and 9-14 with the 8 ball as the money.

I’ve only had three break and runs that I can clearly remember. One on my 8’ home table and two on a diamond 7’.

I love the game and usually play Saratoga rules when I play pool with my mom or others that aren’t as extremely decent as me.