Bar rules help

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in small bar tournaments 3 days a week. Last week, me and a few friends went to a bigger tournament that is run off apa rules.. I lost my first match, blew through my second, and on my third, we were double Hill when I got in a spot that made me think.
Opponent was a very strong player. Better than I am for sure. He ran most of his balls out but I had a 3 ball frozen to the 8 ball on a side rail. Because of the 8 ball being frozen to
and behind my ball, I was able to run my rack and play safe by tapping the 3 and rolling into the rail. Honestly, this went on for 3 shots and I finally goofed and he won...
BUT what happens if you are in a bar tournament in the same situation? Rules say no roll outs, no crap shots etc.. when money is on the line, do you try playing safe, or do you swing for the fence and try making the ball somehow?
Don't get me wrong, rules are rules, but when you're in the Loser bracket, double Hill, playing someone much better than you with money on the line, what do you do?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

lstevedus

One of the 47%
Silver Member
I never, ever play "bar rules", not for money, not for fun, not for nothing. I call it "argument pool". It gives people with low skill levels something to argue about, so they can distract you and keep you from playing your best game. If I had to choose between "bar rules" and "not playing", I don't play. In a bar, with a bunch of drunks, for a decent player, its asking for trouble. Been there, done that, threw away the bloody t-shirt.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I play in small bar tournaments 3 days a week. Last week, me and a few friends went to a bigger tournament that is run off apa rules.. I lost my first match, blew through my second, and on my third, we were double Hill when I got in a spot that made me think.
Opponent was a very strong player. Better than I am for sure. He ran most of his balls out but I had a 3 ball frozen to the 8 ball on a side rail. Because of the 8 ball being frozen to
and behind my ball, I was able to run my rack and play safe by tapping the 3 and rolling into the rail. Honestly, this went on for 3 shots and I finally goofed and he won...
BUT what happens if you are in a bar tournament in the same situation? Rules say no roll outs, no crap shots etc.. when money is on the line, do you try playing safe, or do you swing for the fence and try making the ball somehow?
Don't get me wrong, rules are rules, but when you're in the Loser bracket, double Hill, playing someone much better than you with money on the line, what do you do?

Nothing in the rules against safety. Of course you did say "bar rules" which don't actually exist except in the minds of players that don't know the real rules fully and change from place to place.

Generally asking for help about "bar rules" is like asking for help with making all the snowflakes in your town identical.

If the rules in the tournament say "no safeties" just don't play obvious safes. Go for a bank but leave the cue ball behind another ball or something. Many people play two way shots even when there is no safety play allowed like in ring games, I think Danny D calls those "moral safeties" hehe.

Last edited:

Donny Lutz

Ferrule Cat
Silver Member
Bar rules?

I never, ever play "bar rules", not for money, not for fun, not for nothing. I call it "argument pool". It gives people with low skill levels something to argue about, so they can distract you and keep you from playing your best game. If I had to choose between "bar rules" and "not playing", I don't play. In a bar, with a bunch of drunks, for a decent player, its asking for trouble. Been there, done that, threw away the bloody t-shirt.

When I began playing (1955), bar rules were the only rules around for 8-ball. In 1968, I won over 4K playing bar rules on bar boxes, with a cue off the wall. I started one of the oldest leagues around in 1966, and we played bar rules until we hooked up with the NPBA and became aware of anything called "official" rules.

I hate bar rules too, but you can manage your way around them.

I've been an advocate of posting the rules, whatever they are, since the early '70s. That's how you deal with drunks and fools.

pdcue

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

As I read it, you are not asking for an interpretation of "bar rules",
but rather, advice on tactics while playing under the auspices of the
dreaded ...Bar Rules.

Specifically:
...................................................................................................
Don't get me wrong, rules are rules, but when you're in the Loser bracket,
double Hill, playing someone much better than you with money on the line,
what do you do?
....................................................................................................

IMHO - this is similar to the concept of 'playing the score' as is
so important in One Pocket. Also, Snooker and Straight pool.

Realistically - most, if not all of the time, you will not win a safety battle
with a much better player. That fact - IMHO - pretty much dictates that
you should play agressively, try to run out when you would stall against
a weak opponent, etc...

Dale(who has been waiting 7 years to use 'auspices' in a post on AZB)

Last edited:

SeabrookMiglla

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
if i bet on a bar table, i usually establish the rules before we play so there is no fuss. well i broke this rule this weekend when i was playing for some drinks, one of the games we played doubles and they slopped in the 8 by accident. they started cheering and i was like-:confused: ( i know one of the players on the other team, he is a usual at the watering hole and plays a fair amount of pool) they looked at me and were like, "you have to call the 8?" im like, yeah... anyways, drinks were payed for and the night went on.

i guess moral of this story, always establish the rules before a bet. and even if you know the person at the bar, doesnt mean they have the same rules as you. that guy knew you had to call the 8 but tried to pull a fast one. im not going to hold it against him, but if i had been playing some other drunk asshole there may have been an issue. which brings me to my next point, never argue or gamble with drunk assholes. its a lose lose situation, sometimes they may pay. other times they will cause a scene to which you should back out, because it makes you look like an ass and things may escalate from words to other things... seen it so many times over a pool game. saw it last night at the pool hall actually...

Last edited:

LuckyStroke

Full Splic Addict
Silver Member
There is no such thing as bar rules. I used to say this was because every bar has a different set of rules, but really it's because every bar player has a different set of rules. It's masters rules or no play for me.

randyg

www.randygpool.com
Silver Member
I always use the old bar rule:

"when in trouble, make up a new rule."

randyg

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
I agree with others here. Instead of selling out when you are not allowed to play safeties you play either a 2 way shot or a safety that looks like a legitimate shot to pocket a ball.

Zkid09

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lol. I agree with most all of you. I hate bar rules because of this issue. Everyone that Plays in it is there for the pool, not drinking which make it a little better. And this form of "bar rules" isn't bad at all other than the safety deal.
I've had to play quite a few "accidental safety's" but the situation I mentioned threw me a curveball

poolguy4u

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
House Rules Forever....

There is not safe in my game.

Safe is for straight pool....

I play the gentleman's game and go for everything.

Don't be scared....

Hit 'em hard and get lucky!:smile: