Barn Find- Early 1946 Brunswick Centennial Pool Table

Timkrieger

I recently got in contact with a family that was looking to sell a Brunswick Centennial pool table. The table had originally been purchased and used in Chicago. This table was in the same family since the 1940’s. The original owner worked with the Ziff-Davis publishing company. The family history, as told by the owners, was this table was the table bought and used for Willie Mosconi’s photo shoot for his red book, On Pocket Billiards. The original owner ended up with the table after the photo shoot. Along with the table in storage, the family had multiple copies of the first edition hardback version of Mosconi’s book. They included one with my purchase of the table. They had other material in boxes being stored from the publishing company including other sports books on golf, football, other sports, seem to be similar to Willie Mosconi‘s book. Most of the other boxed material were computer books from the same publishing company. I looked through the boxes to try to find any kind of letter or anything else that would document that this table was the actual one that had been used by Mosconi for the photos in his book. The woman said she knew without a doubt from her mother and grandfather that this was definitely the same table used in the book. The table eventually made its way out to the west coast with one of the family members. It was being stored for at least the last 32 years at a house on a cattle ranch where one of the granddaughters of the original owner has been living. I plan to do some more research to see if there’s anyway to try to tie it back to the Mosconi book. I’ll also restore the table. Centennials are beautiful tables, but even better if it’s got a connection to such an iconic book. Here’s a few pictures of the table parts in my living room as they are today before any restoration work. I’ll post more pictures in the future once I get the restoration started.

Attachments

• 83434BC1-BD43-4932-9454-1DF717C4AA44.jpeg
    83434BC1-BD43-4932-9454-1DF717C4AA44.jpeg
    254.6 KB · Views: 241
  • 3C959A8A-500E-4224-B739-5C68E48DA8A0.jpeg
    3C959A8A-500E-4224-B739-5C68E48DA8A0.jpeg
    265.9 KB · Views: 249
  • 496C3306-2F97-4617-A50E-3AAFEA366715.jpeg
    496C3306-2F97-4617-A50E-3AAFEA366715.jpeg
    191.9 KB · Views: 243
  • 41C54EF8-8AD5-41D6-B8CE-D3F12D760C7D.jpeg
    41C54EF8-8AD5-41D6-B8CE-D3F12D760C7D.jpeg
    155.5 KB · Views: 248
  • F33BA479-75E3-47C8-A65A-D7A31AE214B2.jpeg
    F33BA479-75E3-47C8-A65A-D7A31AE214B2.jpeg
    208.8 KB · Views: 247
  • CCC45ECF-E3C8-43DF-B107-A80BCF6E734D.jpeg
    CCC45ECF-E3C8-43DF-B107-A80BCF6E734D.jpeg
    194.6 KB · Views: 265

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Do you have any pics of the slates and backer boards?

Very nice, I have one as well. Was only recovered once. It’s almost brand new old stock. I bought mine in 08 I’d guess. It’s in storage in Vegas

Looking forward to see your table come to life. That’s one of the nicest tables ever made imo. Very happy for you

Best
Fatboy 😃

Timkrieger

Thanks! I haven’t unloaded the slates yet, just got the table home late last night after 10 hour round trip. Some of the slate framing was loose on the back I think they will have to be rebuilt as part of the restoration. But the slates were all in one piece nothing broken.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Great find , these tables are of the best ever built IMO. Take your time and build it up again, They are works of ART. I suggest that you have
someone rebuild the rails with new rubber . All these tables bank real short for some reason and bank like gold crowns when the rails are
replaced. Look forward to seeing your progress, enjoy.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This is awesome! I look forward to seeing your progress! Do a ton of research on metal polishing companies. You do not want to trust the polishing of those pieces to just anyone. Ideally, the clear anodize is removed, the aluminum polished then re-anodized or left bare. The ONLY upgrade I would make is to find a later set of the upper pocket castings which accommodate a screw in pocket. I've never been a fan of the tack in pocket. Over time, the tacks eventually come loose and they wreck havoc on balls. Congrats on such an awesome find! The circumstantial evidence is highly in your favor this is the table from the book. Very, very cool! Can you post a pic of the first edition hardcopy of the book?

Last edited:

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thanks! I haven’t unloaded the slates yet, just got the table home late last night after 10 hour round trip. Some of the slate framing was loose on the back I think they will have to be rebuilt as part of the restoration. But the slates were all in one piece nothing broken.
If you can please post a pic of the backer boards. Even if they are wore out and are going to be replaced. Side view would be interesting as well. See how many staple holes are in them. And the color of the slate should have a pinkish tint to it. I’d very much appreciate some pics when ever you have a chance-no rush at all.

My slates have stickers on the back, and I need to take pics of them, come to think of it. I’m pondering setting my table up. Someday I will 100%.

Thank you very much

Fatboy😃😃

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
This has the potential to be one heck of a thread. I sure hope it plays out like that. From barn find step by step refurb.

There are lots of very well informed people here who would love to see that and can answer questions along the way. That table is a gem!

Congrats
Fatboy 😃😃

Timkrieger

If you can please post a pic of the backer boards. Even if they are wore out and are going to be replaced. Side view would be interesting as well. See how many staple holes are in them. And the color of the slate should have a pinkish tint to it. I’d very much appreciate some pics when ever you have a chance-no rush at all.

My slates have stickers on the back, and I need to take pics of them, come to think of it. I’m pondering setting my table up. Someday I will 100%.

Thank you very much

Fatboy😃😃
Sure, I’ll get more pics up of the slates and slate frames.

Timkrieger

Thank you very much

Fatboy😃😃

Thank you very much

Fatboy😃😃
Yeah I am still unloading everything, carefully got the frame and slates over to my storage. I’ll try to post more pics tomorrow.

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Yeah I am still unloading everything, carefully got the frame and slates over to my storage. I’ll try to post more pics tomorrow.
No rush on the pics.

I’m certain lots of us here will appreciate any and all pics!!

Cheers and thank you very much!

Last edited:

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
On subject about the pockets for these tables, I ordered normal drop pockets from Classic Billiards . There are no provisions for the screw holes to be used in fixing them to the table, so I drilled the holes so that I could use them that way. I had a bad time when using tacks to install the pockets, tacks will destroy the finish on the balls,,it's a no no, don't use them. As far as using machine screws, same thing will happen. I found that using plastic or nylon machine screws work great . The nylon screws are strong enough that they do the job and are soft enough that they won't cause damage
to balls entering the pocket . My Cennt, table is one of the earliest built. It has the one piece long rails on each side. Will be following your
progress with interest and will help with any questions you might have.

Timkrieger

On subject about the pockets for these tables, I ordered normal drop pockets from Classic Billiards . There are no provisions for the screw holes to be used in fixing them to the table, so I drilled the holes so that I could use them that way. I had a bad time when using tacks to install the pockets, tacks will destroy the finish on the balls,,it's a no no, don't use them. As far as using machine screws, same thing will happen. I found that using plastic or nylon machine screws work great . The nylon screws are strong enough that they do the job and are soft enough that they won't cause damage
to balls entering the pocket . My Cennt, table is one of the earliest built. It has the one piece long rails on each side. Will be following your
progress with interest and will help with any questions you might have.
Yes these pockets appear to have the screw holes. This table does not have the stretcher between the legs. I believe that was introduced later on the D-C model. How is the stability of your table assuming you have early model also?

Attachments

• 8B11DE66-E258-488C-8D4E-0A3EB10DFA8B.jpeg
    8B11DE66-E258-488C-8D4E-0A3EB10DFA8B.jpeg
    157.9 KB · Views: 58
  • ADC3BA9F-B1D4-4116-B653-7EB85EA12FCE.jpeg
    ADC3BA9F-B1D4-4116-B653-7EB85EA12FCE.jpeg
    178.1 KB · Views: 61

pwd72s

recreational banger
Silver Member
A dream table.... Yes, please do keep us updated as you make progress.

Chip Roberson

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes these pockets appear to have the screw holes. This table does not have the stretcher between the legs. I believe that was introduced later on the D-C model. How is the stability of your table assuming you have early model also?
My table has the stretchers which I take it is later than yours. My table is extremely stabil . This throws me a bit because I thought the long
rails being one piece instead of 2 pieces were the earliest of this model. On the Nylon Flat Head Screws for pocket installation , they
are 10-24 thread size and I bought a box of 20 from Amazon. They are sorta white looking and shows up in a black pocket , but a magic marker does wonders for such and this works great for what they are used for. I also used a Hot Air gun to heat the pockets to bend in the areas I wanted
them too and then installed and screwed them down. The side pockets were a bit to long and when a ball fell . the pockets were right over the aluminum side rails and made a sound like a bell ringing . The heat gun shortened them down enough to stop that from happening.
There are a few pics included here on the forum

Timkrieger

Great, appreciate the info! So my long rails are 2 piece with a wood dowel connector between the rails at side pocket with no side pocket casting.

Timkrieger

Great, appreciate the info! So my long rails are 2 piece with a wood dowel connector between the rails at side pocket with no side pocket casting
My table has the stretchers which I take it is later than yours. My table is extremely stabil . This throws me a bit because I thought the long
rails being one piece instead of 2 pieces were the earliest of this model. On the Nylon Flat Head Screws for pocket installation , they
are 10-24 thread size and I bought a box of 20 from Amazon. They are sorta white looking and shows up in a black pocket , but a magic marker does wonders for such and this works great for what they are used for. I also used a Hot Air gun to heat the pockets to bend in the areas I wanted
them too and then installed and screwed them down. The side pockets were a bit to long and when a ball fell . the pockets were right over the aluminum side rails and made a sound like a bell ringing . The heat gun shortened them down enough to stop that from happening.
Beautiful table! Fantastic

Timkrieger

That table is beautiful! Congrats on getting it done!