Basic cue tip repair tools

over60pirate

Registered
Just got a table and started shooting after a long while.
The table (used)came with some cues that need tips and I bought a used, Rick Howard cue, that needs a new tip.
I was thinking of getting the Rapid Cue Top Sander, to sand the ferrule, and a Porper Cut-Rite tip shaper/cutter to trim the tip to match the ferrule.

Any opinions on these products. Or alternatives.

jazznpool

Superior Cues--Unchalked!
Gold Member
Silver Member
The table (used)came with some cues that need tips and I bought a used, Rick Howard cue, that needs a new tip.
I was thinking of getting the Rapid Cue Top Sander, to sand the ferrule, and a Porper Cut-Rite tip shaper/cutter to trim the tip to match the ferrule.

By today's standards those tools are crude. In the 70's and early 80's I put lots of tips on cues (including high end) with just the Top Sander (with less aggressive grit sandpaper than standard, a sturdy small Olfa knife (clipoff blade), superglue, masking tape and sandpaper of various grits. The key is really good technique where you don't chafe or sand on sides of the ferrule. Learning how to hold the shaft tip side down on a good cutting surface is important.

After working in a cue shop I wouldn't want to do tips that way anymore. The small lathes are great for tips, shaft cleanings, polishing, and mild re-tapering. I have a Porper but there are lots of other choices for much less money that will do the job well. If you get good at it, you can install tips for others and cover the cost of your investment in time. Good luck.

NervousNovice

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Kinda following up on your other thread http://forums.azbilliards.com/showthread.php?t=399945.

I have used the Rapid Cue Top Sander and it's OK but not necessary. The sandpaper that comes with it is a bit too coarse and aggressive (much less than 600 grit).

I don't like the Porper Cut-Rite tool because it's a twisting motion that tries to pull the cue tip off. The tool works like a pencil sharper but cue tip leather is far tougher to cut through. You need the fast rotation on a lathe and a sharp blade for that twisting motion to work well. I prefer my vertical razor blade chopping motion instead.