Bca 9 ball rule question

Weber

Registered
Tournament that was using bca rules for 9 ball or a version of them.

Must call the 9 ball.

Two scenarios:

Player shoots object ball, doesn’t make it but the 9 ball drops in a pocket. Hit was legal, early 9 not called.

9 ball gets spotted and the same player continues to shoot since he made the legal shot.

Correct?

Player A runs the 4 or 5 balls, gets perfect shape on the 9 for the corner. Player points to the corner, makes the shot.

Other player says he didn’t call it. Spots the 9, calls it and shoots it.

In this situation would player A spot the ball and shoot again since he legally pocketed the 9, it because it’s the 9, it goes to the other shooter.

Weber

Registered
I think pointing to the pocket is sufficient for calling the shot.
I agree, it’s petty and obvious, and the same gesture that was used by both players were used to call the pocket, but player A didn’t want to argue.

So 9 ball gets spotted but who’s shot is it?

hurricane145

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think pointing to the pocket is sufficient for calling the shot.
Might depend on the specific rules being used, but yes in most cases I would agree that it at least should be sufficient. There are always going to be nits out there trying to get credit for a rule technicality win that they just don't deserve.

Smutzc

Whenever someone calls a b.s. foul like that on me in league I always have my saying ready to go… “if you need it, go ahead and take it” Some times they actually back off.. lol

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tournament that was using bca rules for 9 ball or a version of them.

Must call the 9 ball.

Two scenarios:

Player shoots object ball, doesn’t make it but the 9 ball drops in a pocket. Hit was legal, early 9 not called.

9 ball gets spotted and the same player continues to shoot since he made the legal shot.

Correct?

Player A runs the 4 or 5 balls, gets perfect shape on the 9 for the corner. Player points to the corner, makes the shot.

Other player says he didn’t call it. Spots the 9, calls it and shoots it.

In this situation would player A spot the ball and shoot again since he legally pocketed the 9, it because it’s the 9, it goes to the other shooter.

If you pocket a legal ball and accidentally make the 9, you don't lose your turn. If the 9 only is called, any other ball goes it still counts as good, even if you call the 9 and miss but make some other ball.

I have not seen a league run by BCA rules that has a rule that you must mark an obvious shot or even specifically call an obvious pocket. Players still do it on the game ball but BCA and USAPL are played by "gentleman's rules" where the player knows what they are doing and should be honest about it. Whoever said the player did not call his pocket should be tarred and feathered and made to wear a dunce cap in the corner.

MattPoland

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I’d say that BCA rules doesn’t have a call the 9 variant so it won’t be much help for guidance on the ruling. I don’t have much experience playing call 9 so I couldn’t say if a miss paired with an uncalled 9 would mean your inning continues. Kinda sounds reasonable in the spirit of 9-ball.

For the second scenario I’m flabbergasted. An early 9 is only going in via a combo or carom which cannot be considered obvious. Even though there’s a wide range of shots I’d let my opponent get away with because we’d both know what’s going on. I’m just saying that for context.

Not only is a point to a pocket a legitimate call, but once the 9 is the last ball on the table direct shots at it definitely can be considered obvious. I’d only expect a call for a bank or kick. So I’d definitely be disgusted with any nit that would jar the flow of play being that petty.

tomatoshooter

but player A didn’t want to argue
Player A needs to tap into some inner hostility. Sometimes you think little things aren't worth making an issue but if player B thinks he's got you on the back foot, he's going to push further. I'm not suggesting violence but I would certainly express disapproval.

NathanDetroit

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If I understand the rules to be a variant of BCA, then it is a variant of their eight ball rules. Specifically, the rules on pocketing the eight.

Weber

Registered
Player A needs to tap into some inner hostility. Sometimes you think little things aren't worth making an issue but if player B thinks he's got you on the back foot, he's going to push further. I'm not suggesting violence but I would certainly express disapproval.
Junior event, no need for that as they are all learning. Just trying to understand if it’s player A or player B’s shot on the spotted 9.

Based on the scenario 1, I would assume it’s still player A’s shot, since it was a legally pocketed ball.

David in FL

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Junior event, no need for that as they are all learning. Just trying to understand if it’s player A or player B’s shot on the spotted 9.

Based on the scenario 1, I would assume it’s still player A’s shot, since it was a legally pocketed ball.
I’ve also never run into that situation even though I play a lot of BCA/USAPL…

We also play call nine even though it’s not specified in the rules.

I would look at this the same as I would look at if he had called the nine ball in the corner, and missed it so badly that it went a couple of rails into a different pocket. In that case, because of the requirement to call the nine, he would not get to keep shooting like he would have in the middle of the match. In order to be “legally pocketed“, the nine ball, when it’s the final ball, has to be called. I would say that it would be player B’s shot.

Again though, never having seen that, and absent specific mention in the rules, it’s simply my interpretation…

I also think that they should have immediately called over a ref. There is no doubt in the world that pointing at the intended pocket satisfies the requirement to call the pocket.

Player B, Junior or not, is a nit. He needs to be told that in order to further his understanding of the importance of sportsmanship.

gregcantrall

Center Ball
Silver Member
Nits need regulation. Butt of cue to temple always comes to mind.
I was seated near the drunk who had the cue butt applied in that manner. It sounded just like when I thump a watermelon.
He had walked up behind the player that was standing and leaning on his stick. He did the knee dip, learned in school I assume. The player spun and dropped the Drunk. The conversation with the police officer occurred after I had told him what I saw. The officer told the Drunk, "if you want we can charge him with assault. However if we do that, you will have to be charged with Provoking an Assult."
Cue butt justice is rarely called for but the judicious application of same required moderation, as it can be lethal.

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I was seated near the drunk who had the cue butt applied in that manner. It sounded just like when I thump a watermelon.
He had walked up behind the player that was standing and leaning on his stick. He did the knee dip, learned in school I assume. The player spun and dropped the Drunk. The conversation with the police officer occurred after I had told him what I saw. The officer told the Drunk, "if you want we can charge him with assault. However if we do that, you will have to be charged with Provoking an Assult."
Cue butt justice is rarely called for but the judicious application of same required moderation, as it can be lethal.
Yeah aggravated battery is a loser.

Still, if I was a scanner...

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Ah, so if the 9 ball went in the wrong pocket or into an uncalled pocket, the next player is up and shoots from the position of the cueball. It's counted as a miss.

Weber

Registered
Ah, so if the 9 ball went in the wrong pocket or into an uncalled pocket, the next player is up and shoots from the position of the cueball. It's counted as a miss.

But if you shot the 6 and accidentally make the 9, it gets spotted and it’s still your turn.

hang-the-9

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
But if you shot the 6 and accidentally make the 9, it gets spotted and it’s still your turn.

Correct, because you made another legally pocketed ball. You need to use a bit of logic to sort out the rulings. The 9 is called shot but the rest are not. So if you make only the 9 but in the wrong pocket, it's a miss, same as in any other called shot game, you make a ball in the wrong pocket, your turn is over. But it's still slop 9 ball on the other balls. So if you call the 9 but crap in another ball, the 9 spots but you keep shoting since you made a legally pocketed ball during the shot.