BCA Expo: To exhibit or not exhibit?

i4pool

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BCA Expo: The Laser Rack ... to exhibit or not exhibit?

Hello,

I'm on the fence whether to exhibit at the BCA Expo or not this year. Do you think it would be worthwhile to exhibit my new product there? Is there anyone here who's gone to the expo, as an attendee or exhibitor?

Being a small start-up I'm very selective as to where my marketing budget will be focused. Any suggestions for "best bang for my buck" marketing, at least in the billiards world? Btw, iirc... it's $1200 to exhibit at the expo.

I'd love to hear your experiences & feedback. Thank you in advance.

Regards,
 
Last edited:
If you want to market directly to the consumer, SBE is probably the best show. You might also consider going out to Vegas for the BCA, APA, and VNEA national tournaments.
If you want to market to retailers, and you are a member of the BCA, then the BCA trade show could be an option.
Steve
 
That looks like a very interesting product - when you're interested in launching it onto the European market please contact us?

All the best,
Big Dave.

2007ThePro9BusinessCardForContactPageBDK.jpg


2007TheProShopBusinessCardForContactPageAW.jpg
 
pooltchr said:
If you want to market directly to the consumer, SBE is probably the best show. You might also consider going out to Vegas for the BCA, APA, and VNEA national tournaments.
If you want to market to retailers, and you are a member of the BCA, then the BCA trade show could be an option.
Steve

Steve-- I will definitely consider the BCA & VNEA tourneys in Vegas. I will look them up. I am planning to do the APA Singles & Team championships in May & August. And will probably go ahead and do the BCA Expo in Charlotte, NC. Looks like the SBE is right around the corner... might have to try that one in 2009. Thank you so much for your input.

Big Dave-- Thank you for expressing your interest. I will definitely be in touch.

Regards,
 
pooltchr said:
If you want to market directly to the consumer, SBE is probably the best show. You might also consider going out to Vegas for the BCA, APA, and VNEA national tournaments.
If you want to market to retailers, and you are a member of the BCA, then the BCA trade show could be an option.
Steve

On the West Coast, Las Vegas will draw 10,000 for the above mentioned tournaments. I go to the BCA with my friends with the intent of spending $100s of dollars on pool equipment - your's is very interesting.
 
innovative4pool said:
I'd love to hear your experiences & feedback. Thank you in advance.Regards,

BCA Expo is an excellent opportunity to meet and speak with many of the major billiard product firms as well as retail buyers.
Consider it a good icebreaker to help launch/market your product at a very reasonable cost. If you exhibit I'd suggest bringing
a fair amount of product to sell on the spot. I'm sure the BCA folks can further assist you with suggestions and recommendations.
 
The BCA show is a wholesale show. If you want dealers for your product it is the show to attend. If you want retail sales then it is not the show for you.
 
I've been to several BCA Expos and that should be the proper place to launch a new product. Also, as a BCA business member, you would have access to the BCA mailing list and you can send out promo material to all members. The BCA Expo is generally lightly attended by retailers and room owners but you should get some good exposure.

FYI, if you are selling the product retail yourself, some dealers will stay away from you because you are automatically competition. You can do it if you set a retail price and stick to it but allow your dealers to slightly discount it (10 or 20%). Cuestix International did that when they launched their Pooldawg venture. We only buy from them now when necessary. McDermott is another that would rather sell direct to the consumer it seems.
 
innovative4pool said:
Hello,

I'm on the fence whether to exhibit at the BCA Expo or not this year. Do you think it would be worthwhile to exhibit my new product there? Is there anyone here who's gone to the expo, as an attendee or exhibitor?

Being a small start-up I'm very selective as to where my marketing budget will be focused. Any suggestions for "best bang for my buck" marketing, at least in the billiards world? Btw, iirc... it's $1200 to exhibit at the expo.

I'd love to hear your experiences & feedback. Thank you in advance.

Regards,

I've exhibited for my company at the VF Expo Center for the past couple of years for the Custom Home Furnishings Academy, and wish I could pay as little as $1,200 to exhibit there, not to mention that you will be reaching many many more people than I do.
 
I would suggest the Tournaments like DCC, SBE & the BCA, APA, VNEA first. The BCA EXPO is getting smaller & smaller. You can always do the wholesale thing after you get a following thru AZB, BDCC, your website & on & on.

We went the other route first & it costs us about $3000. Our sales bailed us out but they weren't on going.

Your customers will drive your wholesale sales, meanwhile you get the big-chunk.

9 ballers should really like this RACK, it helps the breaker & the opponent too. Both will know the racking has been done correctly.

Good Luck...
 
ceebee said:
I would suggest the Tournaments like DCC, SBE & the BCA, APA, VNEA first. The BCA EXPO is getting smaller & smaller. You can always do the wholesale thing after you get a following thru AZB, BDCC, your website & on & on.

We went the other route first & it costs us about $3000. Our sales bailed us out but they weren't on going.

Your customers will drive your wholesale sales, meanwhile you get the big-chunk.

9 ballers should really like this RACK, it helps the breaker & the opponent too. Both will know the racking has been done correctly.

Good Luck...


Thank you all for your input. I am so glad I joined this community! Where else could I get such a wealth of information.

ceebee-- It looks like you were in a very similar situation when you first came out with your product. Your comment about customers driving wholesale sales makes perfect sense. Due to limited capital, initially, I will be selling to retail myself but would eventually like to set up a dealer network when I'm capable of handling the larger volume. Maybe I should hold off on the BCA Expo and focus on the events where the actual end-users are going to be (i.e. DCC, SBE, BCA, APA).

Regards,
 
:confused: Why not try to hook up with a booth at the BCA show where you can show your product and pay only a small portion to the booth. Others do this at the show.
 
Adding some inlays to your racks (personal signatures, owner's names, Professional Profiles, designs, exotic woods) could be a great way to personalize these great Racks. You can go from "mild to wild", depending on your customer's pocketbook.
 
Back
Top