Bear Customs vs Predator

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Anyone heard of Bear Customs? Let me give you a picture:

Bear%20Logo1.jpg

Does it look familiar? I haven't heard much of this brand. So anyone knowing this brand? F. Bustamante is using a cue of this brand. You can see this logo on his shirt.

I was searching for some info of this brand, and I'm really shocked. Let's take a look:

Bear Customs:
Bear%202008%202%20Red.jpg

Bear%202008%203%20Brown.jpg

Bear%202008%204.jpg

BEAR%202008%205.jpg

BEAR%202008%206%20TESTA.jpg

Now take another look:

Predator:
5k6.jpg

5k8.jpg

5k4.jpg

5k5.jpg

Do you see what I'm seeing?

poohkiller

Still life.
Silver Member
Hello,

I happen to know this brand (Bear) rather good. If I am not mistaken for quite some time Bear cues were built at the same place as Falcon cues - and furthermore, Predator cues were built in that factory also.
As you can see, the Bear cues show the major similarity with the 3k and 4k lines.
Now, take a look at this video broadcasted on Discovery channel - how is it made or something like that is the title. In this programme you can see only Falcon stamped cues. However, the building process is shown or Predator cues! (I remember to 4k3 and 4k5 especially) It is funny how they - I reckon on purpose - don't show predator marked cues, only the ones under the brand of Falcon.
I am saying all this to show you the link in between these brands. I hope that now it is clear why there are such similarities.

I have also shot with three Bear cues, one being a simple Plain Jane, another one that is - if I remember correctly - a limited edition cue and finally another one that is for sure limited to only 25 cues made. That last cue stunned me, it was very nice with intricate inlays.
These Bear cues play quite good and they are also quite popular in my country - as there are way more than those three pieces I mentioned.

Edit: one more thing is that Vilmos Foldes, bronze medalist on this years World 9-ball Championship has won that medal with a Bear cue - so had he won the Junior 9-ball World Champion title with that very same cue.

I hope I could help,

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've seen that video before. Haven't noticed the Predator cues in that video. But you're right. They are indeed showing the productionproces of a Predator cue. It's just funny, some of the cues are exact copies. But the Bear Custom Cues are really cheap compare to the Predator cue. You will safe like $200 if you buy the Bear 2008 VIII-6 with a 314, instead of the 5k6.

Last edited:

LoReNz

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i know bear cues but i have never tried. i know that cue because francisco "django" bustamante shoots with it and he is one of my favorite players. anyway, i have a predator 5k8 i bought about a year and a half ago and their new c4 technology is good. but didnt know about that bear cues is pretty much the same. i like bear 2008 VIII-6. any body know how much it cost?

WesleyW

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LoReNz said:
i know bear cues but i have never tried. i know that cue because francisco "django" bustamante shoots with it and he is one of my favorite players. anyway, i have a predator 5k8 i bought about a year and a half ago and their new c4 technology is good. but didnt know about that bear cues is pretty much the same. i like bear 2008 VIII-6. any body know how much it cost?

I don't think the 2008 VIII-6 got the C4 technology. But this one will cost you around $400, with a regular Bear shaft. If you want this butt with a 314, it will be around $600. As you will known the 5k6 is around $800.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
I shot with two different Bear cues for a total of 10 years and I think they are very good cues for the value. Like any other production cue, the quality varies a bit but my cues were very good. They felt nice, balanced and solid and they didn't warp at all. They are not as lively as Schons but the hit resembles a Schon somehow, with just slightly less feedback to the shooting arm. Bear cues used to be popular in Finland in the 90s but now I'm seeing less and less them. Haven't tried their latest cues at all though, so I can't say how they hit.

I guess most of you know already, but Bear cues don't have anything to do with Mark Bear custom cues :) Like poohkiller said, they used to be made in the same place with Falcon cues.