Beat my draw!

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes. If you hit so fast and really low cueball will deflect shaft too fast on to cloth and cue does not transfer so much energy to cueball overall. Also left english is important factor on this shot because it will generate speed from cushions. If you hit too low you can´t hit enough left to get high speed sidespin.
I was thinking not so much lower but closer to the vertical axis. Possibly the strike is already hard enough to produce sufficient running spin and one subtle point, perhaps hitting closer to the center mass will allow that much more bite at the cue tip. IDK

S.Vaskovskyi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's impressive!
It makes me to realize how I miss some table time and having some fun with the pupils...

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I thought one draw trick shot i made(original) in summer when cloth was new but i cant find it from computer. So I decided give it a try for just for fun.
More like Larry Nevel style shot and little overkill. Anyways if some could make 1 and 9 ball same pocket from here. My cloth so old now I can´t get 3rd rail anymore give longening effect to cueball route. If I could cueball would go directly to 9 and make it too.
This shot is actually quite funny.
There is so much distance with CB and OB that aiming of that might surprise a lot of low deflection cue users. A lot of complicated physics involved but I don´t yet wanna speak those effects.

Here also i could get into end rail 4th and back middle of table when cloth was new. I would like to see someone pull that off!

Beat my Draw vol. 2

Thought I’d try again after I got off work this morning. I tried moving the shot up a diamond, but it didn’t help. The cue ball just seems to die off the head rail on my table. I tried with lots of side, then hardly any.

I tried your other shot too. I didn’t spend too much time on them, but under these conditions with my stroke...that might be the best I can do.

Poolmanis

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Thought I’d try again after I got off work this morning. I tried moving the shot up a diamond, but it didn’t help. The cue ball just seems to die off the head rail on my table. I tried with lots of side, then hardly any.

I tried your other shot too. I didn’t spend too much time on them, but under these conditions with my stroke...that might be the best I can do.

How about aiming shot 2?
Was it little odd combination of deflection and masse effect?
And what cue you use? I use old Falcon butt and Z2 shaft with Elk Master tip.

P.s I tried too move ball further from end rail on but it did not matter. I think that effect comes to play with new cloth conditions.

The_JV

'AZB_Combat Certified'
Funny... I switched back to my old player which is an old Falcon butt, with a Z2 shaft, but still didn't get much more action then I did with the newer equipment. ...I'm still blaming my table conditions ;)

Z-Nole

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I have to admit, I thought this was going to be easier than it turned out to be, but once I got Into stroke I was able to get the fourth rail with some consistency. But my cloth and rails are only a week or two old so I’m kinda cheating.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
How about aiming shot 2?
Was it little odd combination of deflection and masse effect?

P.s I tried too move ball further from end rail on but it did not matter. I think that effect comes to play with new cloth conditions.
The first shot in the video was actually my first attempt at the second shot. I surprised myself, then hit the ball full in the face a few times, lol. There is definitely an adjustment to make, hitting the shot that hard with so much low and side.

I play with an old Verl Horn and OB Classic shaft. I usually play with KiTech medium or KiTech Duds, but just switched to the Zan Hybrid Max. I like it so far. It’s been on my shaft for a few weeks now and it feels nice now that it’s broken in. I still prefer the feel of the KiTech tips, but the consistency of the Zan might win me over in the long run.

fjk

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
One time, many, many years ago, I had the cue froze on the end rail and straight on the 8 ball from 7 feet away. The 9 was down by the cue ball. It was a cheap set, and I think I was up a game or two, so I jacked up like a masse shot and shot almost straight down through the cushion at the 8 trying to draw it back. I made the 8 and drew the cue all the way back for the 9. I wish I had that one on video.

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Messed with both shots a little more and I think I’m at the limit of what my stroke will allow. I tried a lighter (red circle) cue ball and tried both shots with freshly polished balls. My results were actually worse, lol. I think, with my stroke, I would need ideal conditions to get the 4th rail on the first shot, or make the second ball 3 rails on the second shot. I may head to the pool room this weekend and try this on a Diamond just to see what happens.

These challenges are fun. Thanks, Poolmanis! 👍

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

You have an excellent stroke....new cloth would work wonders.
You’re a little too close to 6:00 o’clock....I see it as a 7:15 hit...and let the tip go with the spin...
...on the closer draw shot, shorten your follow through a bit.

They were doing long drawshots in Britain....none of them could draw with Alex...he walks into it like he breaks.

mjantti

Enjoying life
Silver Member
Nice draw shots already posted here!

Not the same shot but recorded a nice cueball arc with draw some time ago while running out a 10-ball rack. Anyone care to try it out?

straightline

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Tried some draw shots today. Not the spinner in question but some simple straight shots.
Gear:
18, 19 oz Players shooter
worn down Elk Master
way worn worsted - not Simonis, typical 3, 4, year old cloth
40, 50, year old stroke mounted on 65 year old ass with legs

From inside a foot I can zip the ball back a length plus some bounce.
From 3 or 4 feet I could get maybe the same 3, 4 feet back. There's definitely a psychological issue going on there.
Prolly double or triple that when they change the cloth lol...

3kushn

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
That's the limit (without doubling the head cushion) because the cue ball still has draw when it gets to the first cushion, and you get a "banana shot" effect. Putting the OB even with the side pockets lets you go farther:

View attachment 582049

I suppose it's possible that effect puts a limit on the shot on a real table.
I forget the name of the draw stroke where the CB is just a couple millimeters from the OB.
I witnessed Jeff Carter get 5 rails in 1978 or 79 on an 9' AMF carom table with dirty nappy cloth and balls that were never, ever cleaned.
Starting position was near or on the Head Spot.

Is this a different scenario regarding reaching the first rail with backspin?

peppersauce

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I forget the name of the draw stroke where the CB is just a couple millimeters from the OB.
I witnessed Jeff Carter get 5 rails in 1978 or 79 on an 9' AMF carom table with dirty nappy cloth and balls that were never, ever cleaned.

Rafael Martinez showed me that stroke on a pool table years ago when I lived in Texas. I never did put in the work to master it, but it was really impressive.

Not the same shot he used to show me, but this is the stroke.

Last edited:

ApoDra

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

The shot's name is Fouette it can be draw or follow also.