Beeler's Virtual Billiard Academy - Pool Lessons

JolietJames

Boot Party Coordinator
Silver Member
One vote for Bert? ONE? lol
That guy has taught many professionals and countless amateurs.
Mr. Beeler is obviously a very fine instructor, but that poll smells rotten.
I don't think Bert is currently giving many lessons -if any.
However, when I was working with him, he was hands down #1.
His material is still valuable to players looking to improve their game.
I last spoke with him on the phone maybe 5 years ago.
Anyone know how he's doing?

As far as Beeler goes, he seems legit to me. I've watched a few of his videos over the last couple years and I get the impression he knows his stuff.
I'm glad he's a member here -I didn't know he was at all.

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
No disrespect intended but what makes your school different than any other pool
school?

The instructors I've been with teach PSR, SPF and stance .. pretty much it although
delivered in their own flavor. Some want all stances to look the same even though
more advanced players neither need nor want a total makeover. If you had 5 pros in
the class I'm sure they would not be required to do the same.

I do agree that most players need help with the above mentioned instruction but
I've found that more advanced players get no more benefit from pool school than
they would from a youtube video
Great question. Value. I currently have students in all 50 states and 20 foreign countries. I currently have over 430 online students and roughly 100 in-person students per year. My online school offers true and affordable long-term instruction.

Let me phrase it this way, in-person instruction is a lot like going to the Golden Corral buffet. When you are at the Golden Corral you can only sample their food for a short period of time. After about an hour you leave and lots of food is left behind. My online class allows you to slowly sample or digest all the information over a longer period of time and master one lesson before moving to the next. In-person instruction just doesn't work that way. With in-person many times you learn the content but haven't truly mastered the lesson before you move on to the next because you are taking a weekend class/clinic.

The best possible situation for a student in my opinion is my hybrid course which is 3 days of in-person with a year of online follow up. Students can send in videos for me to review, and see if they are implementing correctly what they learned, after practicing the content for a period of time.

Also, you will find my class is different than most. My BAM content is very simple and I have had several pro level players adopt my system of aiming which is a modified edge of shaft technique, with simple adjustments for spin. The BAM banking is also different. Arguably one of the best one-pocket players in Memphis learned the banking system and said it alone was worth twice the price of the course. Recently I have had one of the top 10 male payers take the course, one of the top 10 female players and one of the best junior players and also. They said it was unlike anything they had ever been taught. Janet Atwell was quoted as saying she had been to many instructors but my class gave her an entirely new toolkit. In fact, I just talked to her a few days ago and she is planning on coming back to do a refresher course this summer.

And yes, there is no one size fits all approach. Vision center and body structure in large part determines what a players stance will be. Alignment to the shot is critical. Hope this information helps.

Last edited:

Anthony_Beeler

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, have you checked his youtube stuff? It's not all that bad although most of it caters to the gullible. Like some others he tries to hook people with terms like "Secrets of the pros" , etc.
The contents average to good and then at the end he touts his classes. Just a guy trying to make a living.
I found his claim Instructor of the decade to be rather absurd but what I really find ridiculous is just basically putting a giant ad on the Main forum.
I admit ignorance of the rules on here but I wouldn't think this would be allowed. I've never seen him on the Ask the instructor forum.
I did call him out once in the comments section of a video about his information being incomplete and therefore misleading. His reply was he only gives certain info for free and would be happy to give the rest when you sign up with him.
Mike asked me to post all my ads here in the main forum. If you have a problem with them being posted here talk to Mike. I write for the AZBilliards Magazine "Billiards Buzz." I consider Mike to be a friend always try to abide by what he asks me to do. Also, not all information is free. I am sorry you if were just trying to get free information, there is lots of it on YouTube. What you were asking was part of the paid content. If I everything I did was for free I would never get paid. :)

Last edited:

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Lou, have you checked his youtube stuff? It's not all that bad although most of it caters to the gullible. Like some others he tries to hook people with terms like "Secrets of the pros" , etc.
The contents average to good and then at the end he touts his classes. Just a guy trying to make a living.
I found his claim Instructor of the decade to be rather absurd but what I really find ridiculous is just basically putting a giant ad on the Main forum.
I admit ignorance of the rules on here but I wouldn't think this would be allowed. I've never seen him on the Ask the instructor forum.
I did call him out once in the comments section of a video about his information being incomplete and therefore misleading. His reply was he only gives certain info for free and would be happy to give the rest when you sign up with him.
I remember that. It was something to do with "spot on the wall", wasn't it?

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I don't think Bert is currently giving many lessons -if any.
However, when I was working with him, he was hands down #1.
His material is still valuable to players looking to improve their game.
I last spoke with him on the phone maybe 5 years ago.
Anyone know how he's doing?

As far as Beeler goes, he seems legit to me. I've watched a few of his videos over the last couple years and I get the impression he knows his stuff.
I'm glad he's a member here -I didn't know he was at all.

Bert is the real deal.

Lou Figueroa

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Spot on the wall has been around forever -- used it against Efren once in the US 1Pocket Open over 20 years ago.

Lou Figueroa
Yes, and it's fairly accurate when used correctly. Beelers video makes it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but fails to mention the most important thing to know if you're going to get successful results when using it.
That is my problem with it. I don't see guys like Feijen, Wilson, Kinister, Lowry, Sharivari or others making a claim but withholding something essential until you pay them.
People ask me for advice about pool constantly and I wouldn't recommend him. JMO

Elmo

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Yes, and it's fairly accurate when used correctly. Beelers video makes it out to be the greatest thing since sliced bread but fails to mention the most important thing to know if you're going to get successful results when using it.
That is my problem with it. I don't see guys like Feijen, Wilson, Kinister, Lowry, Sharivari or others making a claim but withholding something essential until you pay them.
People ask me for advice about pool constantly and I wouldn't recommend him. JMO
Sounds like you are one of those people who wants something for nothing. Probably don't work or have a job. Just calling people up wasting their time and then complaining about when you don't get something for free. You sound like a liberal to me.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you already knew the answer. So why are you chapping his ass about it?

sparkle84

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Sounds like you already knew the answer. So why are you chapping his ass about it?
Geez, let me think. Well, maybe, it could be cuz I'm a deadbeat liberal looking for something for nothing. Guess I should probably cancel my Youtube subscriptions to Candace Owens and Jordan Peterson immediately.
Or perhaps, it could be because I make an attempt to be an informed consumer and get the most bang for my buck. I buy used cars, not new. Let someone else pay the 1st couple years huge depreciation. Go with generic when the ingredients are identical to the brand name.
I'm not doing anything to AB's ass. I questioned whether full page ads are allowed on this forum. He said it's ok and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Hopefully we won't see a whole bunch of them cluttering up the forum. If however, I do see another one I won't question the right to post it.
As to the rest of the story, I said his content is good. I'll add that he presents it fairly well. My bone of contention, if I have one, would be his come on in the titles of many of his videos. IMO it's click bait. Now I understand that type of thing is very common but I don't have to like it. Some may, I don't.
This is the video in question.
If anyone cares to watch it or read the comments it may be enlightening. Also note the title. JMO but it's misleading as well as inaccurate.
As I've already acknowledged that's a common occurrence on the web but again, I don't particularly care for it.
All kicking and diamond systems have parameters that must be known and adhered to if you expect them to work. With the SOTW system, regardless of number of rails, the most important parameter is the distance from the table to your reference point on the wall (or other object being used because there's not always a wall where it needs to be). There are other factors but that's by far the most important one. Without that the system will be off unless you just happen to pick the correct spot.
That's my problem with the video. If someone can't understand that they can use it and keep missing 2 rail kicks.

buckshotshoey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Geez, let me think. Well, maybe, it could be cuz I'm a deadbeat liberal looking for something for nothing. Guess I should probably cancel my Youtube subscriptions to Candace Owens and Jordan Peterson immediately.
Or perhaps, it could be because I make an attempt to be an informed consumer and get the most bang for my buck. I buy used cars, not new. Let someone else pay the 1st couple years huge depreciation. Go with generic when the ingredients are identical to the brand name.
I'm not doing anything to AB's ass. I questioned whether full page ads are allowed on this forum. He said it's ok and I have no reason to disbelieve that. Hopefully we won't see a whole bunch of them cluttering up the forum. If however, I do see another one I won't question the right to post it.
As to the rest of the story, I said his content is good. I'll add that he presents it fairly well. My bone of contention, if I have one, would be his come on in the titles of many of his videos. IMO it's click bait. Now I understand that type of thing is very common but I don't have to like it. Some may, I don't.
This is the video in question.
If anyone cares to watch it or read the comments it may be enlightening. Also note the title. JMO but it's misleading as well as inaccurate.
As I've already acknowledged that's a common occurrence on the web but again, I don't particularly care for it.
All kicking and diamond systems have parameters that must be known and adhered to if you expect them to work. With the SOTW system, regardless of number of rails, the most important parameter is the distance from the table to your reference point on the wall (or other object being used because there's not always a wall where it needs to be). There are other factors but that's by far the most important one. Without that the system will be off unless you just happen to pick the correct spot.
That's my problem with the video. If someone can't understand that they can use it and keep missing 2 rail kicks.
First, only a butt hurt individual would respond with such a long winded post.

Second, your very first sentence tells me you responded to the wrong person.

Third, you obviously don't have the ability to figure things out for yourself. All systems need adjustment. It's up to you to figure it out. Nobody should have to hold your hand for you.

CaptainBly

Registered
It always saddens me when I see instructor discussions come up on here. Why is it in Pool, that if you are not the best player in the world you cannot be a good instructor? Seems this is the only sport that your ability to play is more important than your ability to coach? Look at the pro sports, are the all the head coaches former hall of fame players? Is the best golf coach a multiple time major winner? Why can't a coach help a player that can beat him? This is a big part of why we are falling behind the rest of the world in this sport. All the Euros have coaches, how many Americans do?

briankenobi

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It always saddens me when I see instructor discussions come up on here. Why is it in Pool, that if you are not the best player in the world you cannot be a good instructor? Seems this is the only sport that your ability to play is more important than your ability to coach? Look at the pro sports, are the all the head coaches former hall of fame players? Is the best golf coach a multiple time major winner? Why can't a coach help a player that can beat him? This is a big part of why we are falling behind the rest of the world in this sport. All the Euros have coaches, how many Americans do?
I was going to say something similar. Why does it matter how a coach plays? It makes no difference how they play "under pressure." What matters is the instruction they give and if it makes players better. That's it. Maybe people are just upset that some instructors can make money at this and the people are upset they can't make that kind of money. I experience something similar being a trickshot artist. I get the "but can he run out," stuff all the time. Doesn't matter if I can or can't. I get paid for doing what I do and I think that angers some people. Just because someone is a great player doesn't mean they can teach very well. I know Anthony and his results speak for themselves.

SpiderWebComm

HelpImBeingOppressed
Silver Member
I was going to say something similar. Why does it matter how a coach plays? It makes no difference how they play "under pressure." What matters is the instruction they give and if it makes players better. That's it. Maybe people are just upset that some instructors can make money at this and the people are upset they can't make that kind of money. I experience something similar being a trickshot artist. I get the "but can he run out," stuff all the time. Doesn't matter if I can or can't. I get paid for doing what I do and I think that angers some people. Just because someone is a great player doesn't mean they can teach very well. I know Anthony and his results speak for themselves.
It's the nature of the beast in forums, be it pool or anything else. The long-term inmates of the asylum, otherwise known as the
all-knowing members of the in-crowd who are looked at in awe from newbies or wannabes that want recognition and to be accepted, will parrot what is said. It's very much like the political scene. Go with the flow of one party and do everything possible to destroy the other and individuals associated with it.

It doesn't matter what Anthony Beeler's background and accomplishments are. The Gods of the forum have spoken and the lapdogs will follow. He's been branded as a nobody POS and good luck with anything different. He's not a favorite.

However, here's the facts. The PBIA (Professional Billiard Instructors Association) is the highest ranking group of professional instructors in the country. https://playbetterbilliards.com/learn/masterinstructors/
It takes a lot of dedication, knowledge, time, and skill to achieve the designation and work to maintain it.

Click on the link above. The fourth name down from the top is Anthony Beeler along with his accomplishments. A name preceding his in Alphabetical order is Dave Alciatore. (Dr. Dave). He is loved and revered by the members of the forum even before he qualified to be in the PBIA. Why? He posted here and got full acceptance and revered from the in-crowd. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it after all that he went through in the hours required but also in what he's done and how he does it.
So is Bob Jewett. He's been around forever and deserves it. What I find disturbing is that NEITHER of them has posted and spoken up on behalf of Anthony as "one of their own" and all that goes with becoming a part of the PBIA.

But so does Anthony Beeler and so does Stan Shuffett. No PBIA member has taken more crap and disrespect than Stan for all that he's accomplished in pool as a player and instructor. Why? Because of those who post in THIS forum and rule. Outside of here it's completely the opposite and he's the instructor at the top of the totem pole and rightfully so for what he's accomplished as a teacher, player, and developer of top amateurs and professional players for men and women worldwide.

Let's see how this post gets attacked and by whom. Hell, I may have just written my suicide note.

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Leave it to Lou to confuse 'Instructor of the decade' with 'Player of the decade'

The initial post in this thread read:

LEARN POOL FROM THE BILLIARDS
INSTRUCTOR OF THE DECADE (2010-2020)

Given all the remarkable players he beat out it is reasonable to wonder about his technique.

No confusion except from you, so go pound sand.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

Nice try but I don’t think anyone is saying he can’t be a good instructor if he dan’t play so good.

Lou Figueroa

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member

It matters to some of us or at least me.

But even in the face of poor technique or less than stellar performance under pressure I’m certainly not claiming someone can’t or shouldn’t be an instructor. Maybe just not an instructor I would go to.

YMMV.

Lou Figueroa

Last edited:

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
It's the nature of the beast in forums, be it pool or anything else. The long-term inmates of the asylum, otherwise known as the
all-knowing members of the in-crowd who are looked at in awe from newbies or wannabes that want recognition and to be accepted, will parrot what is said. It's very much like the political scene. Go with the flow of one party and do everything possible to destroy the other and individuals associated with it.

It doesn't matter what Anthony Beeler's background and accomplishments are. The Gods of the forum have spoken and the lapdogs will follow. He's been branded as a nobody POS and good luck with anything different. He's not a favorite.

However, here's the facts. The PBIA (Professional Billiard Instructors Association) is the highest ranking group of professional instructors in the country. https://playbetterbilliards.com/learn/masterinstructors/
It takes a lot of dedication, knowledge, time, and skill to achieve the designation and work to maintain it.

Click on the link above. The fourth name down from the top is Anthony Beeler along with his accomplishments. A name preceding his in Alphabetical order is Dave Alciatore. (Dr. Dave). He is loved and revered by the members of the forum even before he qualified to be in the PBIA. Why? He posted here and got full acceptance and revered from the in-crowd. I'm not saying he doesn't deserve it after all that he went through in the hours required but also in what he's done and how he does it.
So is Bob Jewett. He's been around forever and deserves it. What I find disturbing is that NEITHER of them has posted and spoken up on behalf of Anthony as "one of their own" and all that goes with becoming a part of the PBIA.

But so does Anthony Beeler and so does Stan Shuffett. No PBIA member has taken more crap and disrespect than Stan for all that he's accomplished in pool as a player and instructor. Why? Because of those who post in THIS forum and rule. Outside of here it's completely the opposite and he's the instructor at the top of the totem pole and rightfully so for what he's accomplished as a teacher, player, and developer of top amateurs and professional players for men and women worldwide.

Let's see how this post gets attacked and by whom. Hell, I may have just written my suicide note.

Why do I suddenly feel like I’m in a bad remake of “Mean Girls” lol.

Lou Figueroa