Befuddled chalk talk.

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
After coming home from a long tournament weekend my hands, cue, and in all probability face were stained from green chalk. My wife and I had the following conversation

W: Why do they make chalk in colors?
M: Chalk is dyed to match table cloths so it blends in.
W: Why don’t they make it clear?
M: Well chalk is a natural substance and you just can’t make it disappear.

Ok at this point I thought I was holding my on. So here it comes.

W: Why don’t they make it white?
M: ummmmmmm :confused:
W: They make white deodorant that disappears and want show up on black and chalk is just for that tip thingy.

I’m left with a befuddled look on my face and speechless.

So here’s my question to you. What makes chalk work? And (I can’t believe I’m going to do this) Why don’t they make it in white so it disappears on contact? :eek:

Please reply soon, I think she’s still waiting for my answer.

Cheers
Tim

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
LMAO. That is a great conversation. I cannot answer any of your questions but I have left many conversations with my wife with befuddled look on my face and speechless.

tedkaufman

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Funny conversation! It never ceases to amaze me how differently women think. Ask your wife how she'd like rubbing gritty (white, if you dare) chalk on her freshly shaved underarms ...

As for white chalk ... consider this: Ever see a table after some idiot bathes hiimself in WHITE talcum powder?

catscradle

<< 2 all-time greats
Silver Member
TIMBER1 said:
After coming home from a long tournament weekend my hands, cue, and in all probability face were stained from green chalk. My wife and I had the following conversation

W: They make white deodorant that disappears and want show up on black and chalk is just for that tip thingy.

So here’s my question to you. What makes chalk work? And (I can’t believe I’m going to do this) Why don’t they make it in white so it disappears on contact? :eek:

Cheers
Tim

Does bring to mind a good question what color would chalk be if it wasn't dyed? It is primarily silicate so I would think that would be kinda clear.

BVal

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I really wish they would make it clear because clear is my favorite color. lol

cuejoey

25 mm chain guns matter
Silver Member
TIMBER1 said:

Cheers
Tim
LOL you remind me of a guy i once worked with at an oil refinery 35 years ago.he was the nicest quietest guy.what a great mechanic too.anyway he would come to work in clean overalls everyday and you could give him a job in one room and place one drop of oil in the center of it..at the end of the day he would have oil all over his face and body like he had rolled in it !:D :D :D

TIMBER1

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Why do we keep using chalk at all, in this age can't we come up with a tip that is is self Sufficient?

Jude Rosenstock

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
TIMBER1 said:
Why do we keep using chalk at all, in this age can't we come up with a tip that is is self Sufficient?

As is the case with many sports, there is frequently something better out there. I mean, why not switch to aluminum bats in baseball? They last longer.

The fact is, part of the enjoyment of the game, part of its meaning comes from the equipment. Sometimes, the sport is forced to take on something new like when we switched from ivory to plastic (which btw, was the first use for plastic, see http://www.makingthemodernworld.org...dustrial_revolution/05.ST.01/?scene=6&tv=true).

For a great number of reasons, I seriously doubt there will be a wanted drive to move away from chalk. A lot of players enjoy the ritual. They like their wood cues, leather tips and chalk.