beginner material question..?

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Hey guys, I am getting started in repair work I have been doing tips and minor repairs by hand for years but I finally have a lathe to be able to really start messing cues up:thumbup:. So I got a bunch of dowles to cut down to install ferrules and tips on, I figure I will just get a box of lepro's for the tips, but not sure what type ferrule material would be cost effective since they are just getting used for practice on 4inch dowels. I found some really good deals on PVC rods, but I also have never herd of a pvc ferrule so not sure if that would be a good choice. Any advice would be much appreciated thanks.

shakes

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as ferrule materials go, you can use almost anything as long as it's close to the right size, even shorter sections of the wooden dowels. It will be good practice to drill out the ferrule and tap the threads, then test different fits with different size drills before tapping. Experiment with anything you can get your hands on.

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend doing what you are. You will learn a lot. I made all my own ferrules for about 5 yrs of repairs, buying solid rod material of the various types of materials.

However, then I tried the pre machined and threaded ferrules from atlas. It was no contest. The money I saved making the ferrules from scratch was no where worth the time that buying the premade ones saved.

After that point, the only time I made a ferrule from scratch was if it was ivory, or one where I removed the customer's existing ferrule and it's design was significantly different.

Enjoy:)

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I recommend doing what you are. You will learn a lot. I made all my own ferrules for about 5 yrs of repairs, buying solid rod material of the various types of materials.

However, then I tried the pre machined and threaded ferrules from atlas. It was no contest. The money I saved making the ferrules from scratch was no where worth the time that buying the premade ones saved.

After that point, the only time I made a ferrule from scratch was if it was ivory, or one where I removed the customer's existing ferrule and it's design was significantly different.

Enjoy:)

Cool so sounds like I am on the right track so thats good, hard parts over lol. Good to know about the pre made ferrules too I will keep that in mind down the road.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
As far as ferrule materials go, you can use almost anything as long as it's close to the right size, even shorter sections of the wooden dowels. It will be good practice to drill out the ferrule and tap the threads, then test different fits with different size drills before tapping. Experiment with anything you can get your hands on.

Thanks Shakes, I never would of thought about using the dowels, but makes sense it is practice. So I will definetly try that and everything else I can get my hands on!!

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure your tool is SHARP. The factory edge is usually not good enough. What happens is on ferrule the plastic is pretty hard, and if the tool is not SHARP it will deflect away from the tool, instead of cutting. This isn't that noticeable, because it still cuts. But it is the cause for the diameter at one end of the ferrule to be not equal to the diameter at the other end.

If you are using HSS tooling, carry an oilstone with you at the lathe and touch up the tip of the tool every ferrule.

If you are using carbide brazed tooling, get a diamond stone and do the same every ferrule. ($10 at MSC).

Remember this for when this issue comes up. It will.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Make sure your tool is SHARP. The factory edge is usually not good enough. What happens is on ferrule the plastic is pretty hard, and if the tool is not SHARP it will deflect away from the tool, instead of cutting. This isn't that noticeable, because it still cuts. But it is the cause for the diameter at one end of the ferrule to be not equal to the diameter at the other end.

If you are using HSS tooling, carry an oilstone with you at the lathe and touch up the tip of the tool every ferrule.

If you are using carbide brazed tooling, get a diamond stone and do the same every ferrule. ($10 at MSC).

Remember this for when this issue comes up. It will.

thanks that is extremely useful advise for me and I have both HSS and carbide but no oilstone or diamond stone so I will pick some up first thing.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Awesome I am gonna buy the Mcmaster thats a really good price. Thanks again for taking the time Iusedtoberitch.

GoldCrown

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Silver Member
Follow up and let us know how it is going. I'm at the same stage you are. I plan to work on wood dowels and some cheap junk 2 piece and 1 piece house cues.

kickshotkid

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Follow up and let us know how it is going. I'm at the same stage you are. I plan to work on wood dowels and some cheap junk 2 piece and 1 piece house cues.

sure I can do a follow up, I am sure I will have plenty more questions anyway:wink: Good for you, I swear working on cues is just as addicting as playing pool maybe even more so..