And I kid you not!
Silver Member
BELIEVE You Me: Zoren James Aranas, aka Dodong Diamond, of Team Roy's Basement

Name: Zoren James Aranas
Nickname: Dodong Diamond
Birthday: April 29.
Hometown: Davao City. Current residence - Molinao, Cavite
Age when you started playing billiards: 10 years old

Most memorable win or championship or title: Beating Wu Cha Ching in the Kuwait Open

Awards / Wins

Champion (2018)
Music City Open
Bob Stocks Memorial
Scotty Townsend Memorial
Super Billiards Expo Pro-AM
2017 BCA National Bar Championship

Runner-up Finish:
2017 US Open Bar Table 10-Ball

Sponsors
Lights Out Billiards Apparel
High Rock

What's in Your Case

Playing Cue: My Kuya Roy's Exceed Cue, 13mm shaft, with Kamui soft tip

Break Cue: Predator BK Rush

Jump Cue: Hanshew Custom Cues

Chalk: Great White by Outsville

Other Accessories
. Molinari Gloves
. My lucky red damped towel

Case: Molinari Butterfly Case

Advice to the young players

Palaging tandaan ang pinangalingan at huwag kakalimutan ang mga tumulong sa pagiging matagumpay sa pangarap.

Always remember where you came from and never forget those who helped you realize your dreams.

Message to fans
Maraming salamat po sa inyong pagmamahal at supporta!

Thank you very much for the love and support!

More trivia bits
Comedian
I love hats 🧢
and I absolutely adore Addidas NMDs

For friends not in the know, Dodong Diamond lives with the Francisco family in Gainesville, Virginia. He has his own room, which he also shares with teammate Dennis Orcollo when the world champion is in town. The two are family to the Franciscos. And yes, kabayan Ariel Roy spares no expense when it comes to equipment and training for Dodong. That is a fact!Name it, Dodong has it!

Moreover, Dodong changes his tips almost monthly! Yes, almost monthly because of the sheer amount of rigorous training he undergoes with his mentors, e.g., World Champion Dennis Orcollo.

Dodong uses Kamui soft and personally installs them using his Kuya Roy's $2,500 cue lathe at the latter's lovely home in Gainesville, VA.

In addition, he likes his tips rounded (bilog na bilog) - for shooting with english with little/less effort.

Dodong Diamond - one of the nicest guys in the pool circuit. Very respectful to everyone around him. Truly, good guys do not finish last. And I kid you not!

We are so happy and proud of your accomplishments, Champ Dodong and kabayan Ariel Roy Francisco, and to the entire team of Roy's Basement! Mabuhay kayo, mga kababayan ko!

Link to my other post on Dodong Diamond here

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1847066101994600&id=129270173774210

109f7733378cc067d4195fe2c789a56f.jpg
28a98c360df3ba371bfdce2acf437463.jpg
b64d551d0f4ef9f73ba37302821be619.jpg
90471ae7a10c4b9d4b8c9f7c23ae4ea1.jpg

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very cool write-up. Keith met James in Maryland last year, and he was very impressed with him. James at that time was competing in a one-pocket tournament and was learning the game. He was eager and full of enthusiasm about pool. He's a really good kid. We will be reading more about him in the future, I know. He's hasn't reached his peak yet, and that's scary good. :cool:

Attachments

• Keith and James Aranas 2017 at Quball 1 Billiard Room.jpg
    Keith and James Aranas 2017 at Quball 1 Billiard Room.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 1,076

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Very cool write-up. Keith met James in Maryland last year, and he was very impressed with him. James at that time was competing in a one-pocket tournament and was learning the game. He was eager and full of enthusiasm about pool. He's a really good kid. We will be reading more about him in the future, I know. He's hasn't reached his peak yet, and that's scary good. :cool:
Thank you very much, my friend JAM! Your comment means a lot! You are one of my uber-favorite writers! And I kid you not!

Thank you very much for sharing that awesome photo of Keith and Dodong! My best regards to everyone's favorite Hall of Famer, please.

AnitoKid

barrymuch90

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember when he came to the states and nobody really knew who he was or what his name was. I consider myself a bit of a pool nerd n junky lol in the sense that I watch endless amounts of the top players playing and I remember thinking I’ve seen this guy before. So I went back n looked him up as dodog diamond n sure enough I had seen him play. What was truly remarkable was that I watched him progress through the ranks n remember a video where he was getting maybe two balls from Jeff Ignacio all the way up to playing even. So in my opinion anyone that jumps speeds in that short of time has all the potential n talent one would ever need to be great in this game. Needless to say I’ve since kept a close eye on James n he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite players!!!

Ps there was a video of James running out I believe in the basement on a table with the extra pocket shims n I want to say they were maybe 3 inch pockets n he ran out like it was nothing. For sure one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen on a pool table.

I just want to thank all the guys from team Roy’s basement or whatever for bringing world champions to our area. I truly was starstruck at the expo being within arms reach from Dennis n even gambling right next to him in the action room. I’ve literally watched the man play more than he’s probably seen himself play as far as YouTube videos and to me he’s a legend!!!! It’s awesome that Dennis took a liking to James and it seems Dennis is almost mentoring James and again I can’t say enough about how much I appreciate whoever is responsible for bringing these guys to our area

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
I remember when he came to the states and nobody really knew who he was or what his name was. I consider myself a bit of a pool nerd n junky lol in the sense that I watch endless amounts of the top players playing and I remember thinking I’ve seen this guy before. So I went back n looked him up as dodog diamond n sure enough I had seen him play. What was truly remarkable was that I watched him progress through the ranks n remember a video where he was getting maybe two balls from Jeff Ignacio all the way up to playing even. So in my opinion anyone that jumps speeds in that short of time has all the potential n talent one would ever need to be great in this game. Needless to say I’ve since kept a close eye on James n he’s quickly becoming one of my favorite players!!!

Ps there was a video of James running out I believe in the basement on a table with the extra pocket shims n I want to say they were maybe 3 inch pockets n he ran out like it was nothing. For sure one of the most impressive things I’ve ever seen on a pool table.

I just want to thank all the guys from team Roy’s basement or whatever for bringing world champions to our area. I truly was starstruck at the expo being within arms reach from Dennis n even gambling right next to him in the action room. I’ve literally watched the man play more than he’s probably seen himself play as far as YouTube videos and to me he’s a legend!!!! It’s awesome that Dennis took a liking to James and it seems Dennis is almost mentoring James and again I can’t say enough about how much I appreciate whoever is responsible for bringing these guys to our area
Thank you very much for sharing your beautiful thoughts, my friend.

With regard to your query in the last paragraph, that would be Mr. Ariel Roy's Francisco of Roy's Basement, Barrymuch90.

AnitoKid

mikepage

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
BELIEVE You Me: Zoren James Aranas, aka Dodong Diamond, of Team Roy's Basement

Name: Zoren James Aranas
Nickname: Dodong Diamond
Birthday: April 29.
Hometown: Davao City. Current residence - Molinao, Cavite
Age when you started playing billiards: 10 years old

Nice, AnitoKid. Thank you.

Even though others don't necessarily see the name, I tend to be aware of players who do not yet have established Fargo Ratings but are performing at a high level.

James was in that category last summer when I saw him in Vegas. I was aware he beat Rusian and Rodney at world 10-ball two years earlier and he beat Jiaqing Wu 9-7 and Kevin Cheng 11-6 a year earlier in Kuwait.

So when James was playing Jason Klatt and I was walking by with Rory Hendrickson, I nodded to the table and said to Rory, "Jay's got his hands full."

Rory--who was looking at someone he'd never seen before-- said "Really?"

And I said "trust me on this one..."

It seemed a little strange James was in only one event, when he was already in Vegas and there were several good events going on. I assumed this was strategic on James's (Roy's) part...

Regardless, he is fun to watch

Thanks for the information!

AnitoKid

And I kid you not!
Silver Member
Nice, AnitoKid. Thank you.

Even though others don't necessarily see the name, I tend to be aware of players who do not yet have established Fargo Ratings but are performing at a high level.

James was in that category last summer when I saw him in Vegas. I was aware he beat Rusian and Rodney at world 10-ball two years earlier and he beat Jiaqing Wu 9-7 and Kevin Cheng 11-6 a year earlier in Kuwait.

So when James was playing Jason Klatt and I was walking by with Rory Hendrickson, I nodded to the table and said to Rory, "Jay's got his hands full."

Rory--who was looking at someone he'd never seen before-- said "Really?"

And I said "trust me on this one..."

It seemed a little strange James was in only one event, when he was already in Vegas and there were several good events going on. I assumed this was strategic on James's (Roy's) part...

Regardless, he is fun to watch

Thanks for the information!
Thank you very much for the awesome story, Mike Page!

AnitoKid