Bergman at the Derby?

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
I think Shane is just contempt now. He doesn't really have to prove anything to anyone at this point in his career. Everyone knows he's a pool god when he feels up to it. He's financially set. His Cuetec sponsored partner Gorst is winning everything. Shane's just cruising and enjoying life at this point. And currently ice fishing-- catching some lunkers too!

Johnny Rosato

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shane is in FAR better $$ position than just about any other player. Has money, a nice house, etc. He may not be as hungry as was 5-10yrs ago. He likes to fish and enjoy himself. Can't blame him.
What other American players has managed money as well, and maybe planned for a comfortable retirement?
Being a fisherman of sorts myself, (bass and hybrid stripes), and retired, I'm happy as can be for Shane.
I would really like to know who they are, where they call home, and maybe how they planned, et cetera.

JAM

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What other American players has managed money as well, and maybe planned for a comfortable retirement?
Being a fisherman of sorts myself, (bass and hybrid stripes), and retired, I'm happy as can be for Shane.
I would really like to know who they are, where they call home, and maybe how they planned, et cetera.
Some players have gone in a different direction in the pool industry since they were unable to earn a decent living and make ends meet in tournament competitions. Allen Hopkins, Nick Varner, Mike Sigel, Mike Massey, and Jeannette Lee come to mind.

As most know, it is difficult to make ends meet in pool tournaments due to the extremely high expenses of airfare, travel, lodging, eating meals on the road, tournament entry fees, et cetera. Even when you come in first, second, or third place, it's tough.

Shane, of course, is the exception rather than the rule. One thing that has helped Shane continue to be number one in USA is that he doesn't have much American competition. How many actual pro players does USA have? Therein lies the problem.

With Matchroom's recent announcement about a nineball ranking tour, things might change for the better. Fingers crossed.

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
What happened to Bergmann? It seems like he quit, I haven't seen him at a tournament since before Covid and now he wont fly or leave his home area (not sure which it is).

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What happened to Bergmann? It seems like he quit, I haven't seen him at a tournament since before Covid and now he wont fly or leave his home area (not sure which it is).
Plays a lot in St.Louis and areas near there. You wanna play him?? contact The Players Club in St. Louis. Sure he can fit you in. ;)

fastone371

Certifiable
Silver Member
Plays a lot in St.Louis and areas near there. You wanna play him?? contact The Players Club in St. Louis. Sure he can fit you in. ;)
I would love to have enough game to wager with him a little. I would need like the 2 ball playing 9 ball against him though. He used to travel to tournaments, does he have a career or something now that he doesn't travel anymore?? I miss seeing him play in tournaments, it seemed like he was going to be one of the top couple of US players which he may very well be but it will be tough to test that theory if he is not shooting tournaments.

kling&allen

AzB Gold Member
Gold Member
Bergman played the NBL event a few months ago in New Jersey. I imagine most of the time it's not worth his effort to to travel. Like Dechaine.

lfigueroa

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Something I have heard from a couple of local guys is that Justin has just lost interest in pool.

I’m sure that is not to say that if someone wanted to arrange sumthin’ he couldn’t be enticed to put his cue together.

Lou Figueroa

Woodshaft

Do what works for YOU!
Something I have heard from a couple of local guys is that Justin has just lost interest in pool.

I’m sure that is not to say that if someone wanted to arrange sumthin’ he couldn’t be enticed to put his cue together.

Lou Figueroa
Wouldn't surprise me. Lots of people get burned out in sports, hobbies, video games, etc, and just wanna do new things in their life. No sense being great at something if it doesn't make you happy, and it's difficult to stay great at something when you don't care as much.

8cree

Reverse Engineer
Silver Member
Pretty sure Gorst took the wind out of his sails sometime last year... he hasn't looked like the Iceberg since, to me.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Wouldn't surprise me. Lots of people get burned out in sports, hobbies, video games, etc, and just wanna do new things in their life. No sense being great at something if it doesn't make you happy, and it's difficult to stay great at something when you don't care as much.
He's played at a high level since he was a kid. I remember seeing him, Jesse Bowman, Scott Frost, Justin Hall, Jamie Baraks when they were barely old enough to drive at the big Olathe events at Shooters. Bergman has said before on FB that he's kinda semi-retired.

bmsclayton

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Justin is doing fine and playing very little right now. He will be back as soon as a few personal things clear up for him. He came in TPC the other night when Carlo Biado and Roland Garcia were there. It was a a pleasure seeing him. I ask him about once a week if he is ready to play. Hoping sooner than later but maybe late spring if we are lucky for full time playing again. I dont know as I am not sure he does either. Good dude and in good spirits and hits balls maybe once a week on mostly bar tables I believe. Except maybe this one time recently ;)

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I would love to have enough game to wager with him a little. I would need like the 2 ball playing 9 ball against him though. He used to travel to tournaments, does he have a career or something now that he doesn't travel anymore?? I miss seeing him play in tournaments, it seemed like he was going to be one of the top couple of US players which he may very well be but it will be tough to test that theory if he is not shooting tournaments.
He plays great for the cash

Fatboy

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
He's a bulldog. Likes longer matches. Doesn't always come flyin' out of the gate but he finishes pretty good. Seen him play since he was probably 15-16.
I haven’t spoke to him or seen him in a few years. We have always been cool. I like him. We always have been friends. I’m sure he’ll pop up sooner than later

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I haven’t spoke to him or seen him in a few years. We have always been cool. I like him. We always have been friends. I’m sure he’ll pop up sooner than later
He plays mostly at ThePlayersClub in St.Louis. Cool spot, private pool club. Do streams, sell JB cases, etc. They're on FB and so is JB. You ever make it that way one major tip: https://anthoninos.com/?v=7516fd43adaa Food is just stupid good. Steak Mudiga outta be illegal.