Best Arrangement For 9-ball rack?

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've read a lot of books on pool, but it seems nowhere is there a suggested optimum way to rack for 9 ball so that it presents the toughest runout for your opponent.

Does such a thing exist? Would you tell me if you knew it?

;o)

Lora_Ann

Registered
Funny you should post this...

FastMikie,

I was also looking for a diagram so that I can rack the balls consistently to measure my break pattern. I was unable to locate an "official" drawing indicating the placement of the other balls, so I created my own. It allows for an even spread of numbers and has afforded me the opportunity to dissect my break. Enjoy.

Lora

Last edited:

Lora_Ann

Registered
iconcue said:
lora! you've really let yourself go?

You misogynist!

A lady abstains from shaving for a day-or-two and you feel free to comment? Shame on you and I hope the wife scrapes you with her legs in the middle of the night.

:D

Lora

RSB-Refugee

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
iconcue said:
lora! you've really let yourself go?
I think she's kinda cute. ;) Racking like that in practice, to learn where the balls go, is OK. For match play it is illegal according to BCA and World Standardized rules, which state, Balls are racked randomly except for the one and the nine.

Tracy

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
FastMikie said:
I've read a lot of books on pool, but it seems nowhere is there a suggested optimum way to rack for 9 ball so that it presents the toughest runout for your opponent.

;o)

Whenever I rack for myself, I just make sure the 1, 2, and 3 aren't together and rack the rest at random. If you are racking the same exact way ever sinlgle time you may be getting the same patterns that come up over and over again instead of different patterns that a random racked rack can produce.

I think more importantly than position of the balls, is the spaces between them and varying your break by which side the spaces are on. Joe tucker's book on racking secrets is an excellent resource for this information and I have personally tested his concepts and can vouch for the fact they are true.
I think Joe touches on positioning of the balls as well in his book but I may be wrong. I know Mike Siegal talks about it in one of his videos on 9bal(racking balls a certain way/position)

Rodney

hot7339
Silver Member
In Joe Tucker's book, he says that racking the 1,3,6,8,9,5,2,4,7(from left to right while racking), is to the non-breakers advantage.

Rodney

kyle

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I've been told that it's the 2 balls behind the 1 and the two balls in front of the back ball that are important, if you rack using eg; 2&4(front),3&5(back) in these spots the breaker may be more likely to have to travel the length of the table in between shots than if you rack using 2&3,4&5. Never really tested it out but makes sense too me especially on a soft break.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
FastMikie said:

;o)
Yes, Mike Sigel talks about breaking and racking techniques on his "Perfect 8 Ball, Perfect 9 Ball, Perfect Straight Pool" video. He suggests that you place the 3 ball where Lora Ann has the 5 ball in her picture and that you should place the 2 ball where she has the 6 ball. This is for a person who is breaking from right of the head spot. His reasoning is that the 1 ball and 3 ball will tend to travel up table after the break. And the 2 ball will tend to stay down table. If this is the case, your opponent will have to travel back and forth up and down the length of the table to make those three balls. If you haven't seen this video, I would highly recommend it. It has lots of really good info, especially for Straight Pool players. He goes into great detail showing endless types of break shots and how to shoot them.

jazzn4444

the Unknown
Silver Member
A friend of mine, billiard player, says that he likes to give this to people.
-----1---
---3--5--
--6--9--7
---4--2--
-----8---
He said that when he gets to the table, it's more comfortable for him to use the rails. When I see that, I don't have much of a problem. Though I'm not a huge rail person and like using the "box", it works for me when it comes up. However, if you're looking for a tough runout for your opponent, you should never let them have a chance to shoot :D

christopheradam

Christopher Adams
Silver Member
JLW said:
Yes, Mike Sigel talks about breaking and racking techniques on his "Perfect 8 Ball, Perfect 9 Ball, Perfect Straight Pool" video. He suggests that you place the 3 ball where Lora Ann has the 5 ball in her picture and that you should place the 2 ball where she has the 6 ball. This is for a person who is breaking from right of the head spot. His reasoning is that the 1 ball and 3 ball will tend to travel up table after the break. And the 2 ball will tend to stay down table. If this is the case, your opponent will have to travel back and forth up and down the length of the table to make those three balls. If you haven't seen this video, I would highly recommend it. It has lots of really good info, especially for Straight Pool players. He goes into great detail showing endless types of break shots and how to shoot them.

I agreee, it does have a lot of other great info besides the racking stuff. No matter what people say or think about his personality(too cocky etc.) you gotta give it up to him for his record and how he plays. He's right up there with the best in the world. And to pay around $20 to get some information from him explained visually in a video is a no brainer! Same goes for all the other greats, Buddy hall, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe and any other pro's who have tapes out on the market.

Cane

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
hot7339 said:
In Joe Tucker's book, he says that racking the 1,3,6,8,9,5,2,4,7(from left to right while racking), is to the non-breakers advantage.

Rodney

Rules say Random, but if they just happen to randomly fall like this:

---1---
--7-2--
-3-9-6-
--4-5--
---8---

then it will generally be an "up and down table" rack to run for the breaker. Got this from David Matlock. If you look, it's easy to remember. All balls opposite of each other add up to 9. 1&8, 7&2, 3&5, 4&5. You can always adjust the rack to the way the breaker is racking.

Like someone mentioned, Joe Tuckers book is a great book and his rack for 9 Ball works to the non breakers advantage, too. If you can't find a copy of Joe's book, it's been incorporated into a new book by Charley Bond, "The Great Break Shot". No, I don't sell the book, or have anything to do with it other than I bought it, read it and benefited from it.

Later,
Bob

UGOTDA7

Ban pending.....
Silver Member
----1----
--4---7--
6---9---8
--2---5--
----3----

I was taught that years ago (used when racking for the other guy) by a player down in Texas, been using it since, it seems to spread the balls up and down the table. If the guy makes some balls or the 9 seems to drift towards a pocket I'll switch the 4 and 7 or the 6 and the 8. Eventually you can get it to where a guy will most likely not make a ball on his break.

JLW

Dunder Mifflin Salesman
Silver Member
christopheradam said:
I agreee, it does have a lot of other great info besides the racking stuff. No matter what people say or think about his personality(too cocky etc.) you gotta give it up to him for his record and how he plays. He's right up there with the best in the world. And to pay around $20 to get some information from him explained visually in a video is a no brainer! Same goes for all the other greats, Buddy hall, Nick Varner, Jim Rempe and any other pro's who have tapes out on the market.
Yeah, I've heard a lot of talk about what a jerk Mike Sigel is. I don't know. I've never met the guy. But I think he comes across as one of the most entertaining and personable people I have seen in an instructional pool video. Robert Byrne, for example, is just so dry. He's like a boring college instructor who really knows his stuff, but his lectures just put you to sleep.

Hal

Beer Player
Silver Member
UGOTDA7 said:
----1----
--4---7--
6---9---8
--2---5--
----3----

Eventually you can get it to where a guy will most likely not make a ball on his break.
So the location of the balls will determine if one goes in or not? Bullshit.

FastMikie

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
So far, there has been no mention of how to rack when there is a handicap involved in the game. For example, let's say you are spotting your opponent the 7 or 8, or both. Where would you rack those balls?

Also, I have played in matches where the players would rack for their own breaks!! How do you rack for yourself in this situation?

Thanks for all this good feedback!