Best Billiard Balls

7stud

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
What do some of these top tier tournaments use?
Thanks.

The top of the line Aramith ball set, the Aramith Tournament TV Ball Set ($466):

Note that they are not the traditional colors, e.g see the pink 4-ball and brown 7-ball. The same ball set is available in traditional colors with a different cue ball ($426):

I would not buy a set of Dynaspheres for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Viking cue: according to my opinion they are ugly. If you like the Aramith Tournament TV Ball Set, there was a forum member recently offering brand new sets and slightly used sets in the For Sale section:

The price has been removed for the new ball sets(which is an indication that he is sold out), but I believe they were offered for $300 shipped. You can PM wrldpro and inquire if he still has any sets available.

The Aramith Tournament set features the Duramith technology with its hi-tech engineered molecular structure enhancing drastically the longevity of the balls while minimizing significantly table cloth wear. With a life-time that exceeds up to 8 times that of the average polyester and phenol-like resins, reaching easily up to 40 years in residential use, Aramith ball sets are the logical choice for both the trade and the player.

I have the Aramith Tournament Ball Set (traditional colors), and according to my opinion they are stunningly beautiful, and I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with them.

Last edited:

jjohnson

Registered
Went to Dynasphere website and found a local retailer. I'll check them out.
Before using your new set at the pool hall, inspect the balls there. If they are full of craters, that means there are metal nails in the pockets, and your new set will also get craters.
Wow. Never heard about metal nails in the pockets. Do you have any suggestions how to prevent any similar damage like this from occurring? Maybe stuff some old socks down in the bottom of the pockets?

Last edited:

jjohnson

Registered
Very informative. Thanks to all. Looks like my decision is made to get the Dynasphere Bronze set. Went to their website and found a local retailer. $116. They aren't much to look at but your recommendations sound solid enough for practice use.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Very informative. Thanks to all. Looks like my decision is made to get the Dynasphere Bronze set. Went to their website and found a local retailer. $116. They aren't much to look at but your recommendations sound solid enough for practice use.
Why the backhanded shot, 'for practice use'?? Why would you say that? Based on your opening post you don't know dick about them but all of a sudden your a qualified ball-rater?? They are as well made as any ball on the market. A friend plays at a big room in Phoenix that switched to this EXACT ball. 2+yrs on and they're still like new.

rexus31

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
The top of the line Aramith ball set, the Aramith Tournament TV Ball Set ($466):

Note that they are not the traditional colors, e.g see the pink 4-ball and brown 7-ball. The same ball set is available in traditional colors with a different cue ball ($426):

I would not buy a set of Dynaspheres for the same reason I wouldn't buy a Viking cue: according to my opinion they are ugly. If you like the Aramith Tournament TV Ball Set, there was a forum member recently offering brand new sets and slightly used sets in the For Sale section:

The price has been removed for the new ball sets(which is an indication that he is sold out), but I believe they were offered for $300 shipped. You can PM wrldpro and inquire if he still has any sets available.

I have the Aramith Tournament Ball Set (traditional colors), and according to my opinion they are stunningly beautiful, and I can't imagine anyone would be disappointed with them.
In your opinion, what's ugly about them?

iusedtoberich

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Went to Dynasphere website and found a local retailer. I'll check them out.

Wow. Never heard about metal nails in the pockets. Do you have any suggestions how to prevent any similar damage like this from occurring? Maybe stuff some old socks down in the bottom of the pockets?
I don’t think there is any fix except for a mechanic to come and replace the pockets and use correct hardware to attach them. Bottom line don’t use your new set on a table like that or you’ll be sad after a couple racks.

garczar

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Main Street in Mesa is the room using the D'sphere bronze balls. A friend plays there and so far so good, no bad reports. Except for just being ugly/practice balls. ;)

Nyquil

Smart move. They stay cleaner than the duramith sets from aramith and are more scuff resistant. I can twice as long without polishing vs the aramith's I own.

I can't believe the set only sells for $116. The only extra thing I bought for mine was the aramith black measle ball. Nothing wrong with the stock cue ball but I am sucker for that cue ball. I have had my set for a year and a half or so and I thought there has to be a catch and that might be the durability. I have had zero issues.

jjohnson

Registered
Why the backhanded shot, 'for practice use'?? Why would you say that? Based on your opening post you don't know dick about them but all of a sudden your a qualified ball-rater?? They are as well made as any ball on the market. A friend plays at a big room in Phoenix that switched to this EXACT ball. 2+yrs on and they're still like new.
I am qualified to judge the recommendations of the responders to my post. And my intent is to get a set of billiard balls for practice use on the 9' pool table in the game room at the apartment community I live at. The balls they have are in terrible shape. I wouldn't say that I "don't know dick" about them. I'd simply say I don't know much about the qualities of billiard balls to make an informed decision about which set to buy on my limited budget. I leave it at that.

jtompilot

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I literally just weighed them prior posting, because I know theres alot of ppl here who are nits who speak hypothetically as opposed to factually ( Im* not referring to you Rexus).

The set of dynaspheres I own are the platinum and bronze both weigh consistently 2 to 3 grams more than the centinialls , arcos, and super aramith balls. The cue balls how ever in all sets weigh more than the object balls.
weighed mine last night.

Pro Cup measle ball. 166.8g
Arcos2 measle ball. 167.1g
Aramith Black measle 168.2g
Amazon practice CB 168.7g

Bronze set --- Durimith TV set

CB 168.2 --- 167.6
1. 168.3 --- 168.0
2. 168.3 --- 167.8
3. 168.0 --- 167.0
4. 168.2 --- 166.7
5. 169.0 --- 168.5
6. 168.4 --- 168.4
7. 168.3 --- 168.5
8. 168.1 --- 167.3
9. 168.3 --- 168.0
10. 168.9 --- 167.6
11. 168.2 --- 167.5
12. 169.0 --- 168.1
13. 168.7 --- 168.3
14. 168.5 --- 167.9
15. 167.6 --- 168.0

AVG 168.4 -- 167.8
Median 168.3 -- 167.6
variation 1.8g -- 1.4g

Last edited:

jjohnson

Registered
Just got my Dynasphere Bronze billiard ball set.
Other than the white seems a little yellow in color they look very nice.
I also got some Aramith ball cleaner.
Maybe they will whiten up after their first cleaning.

Weight in grams:

CB 168.9
1 169.1
2 168.4
3 168.8
4 168.3
5 168.8
6 168.9
7 169.0
8 168.3
9 169.1
10 168.7
11 169.0
12 168.8
13 168.7
14 169.2
15 169.6

The 4-ball and 8-ball deviated the most at 0.7 grams low
The 2-ball was next at 0.6 grams low
The 15-ball deviated at 0.6 grams high
And the rest deviated 0.3 grams or less from 169.0 grams.

Avg. 168.85 grams
Median 168.85 grams
Mode 168.8 grams
variation 1.3 grams
Minimum 168.3 grams
Maximum 169.6 grams

I'll shoot some pool with these pristine Dynasphere Bronze balls in the next few days.

Attachments

• Dynasphere balls 2.jpg
    Dynasphere balls 2.jpg
    133.4 KB · Views: 52
  • Dynasphere box 2.jpg
    Dynasphere box 2.jpg
    144 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

Flakeandrun

Weight in grams:

CB 168.9
1 169.1
2 168.4
3 168.8
4 168.3
5 168.8
6 168.9
7 169.0
8 168.3
9 169.1
10 168.7
11 169.0
12 168.8
13 168.7
14 169.2
15 169.6

The 15-ball deviated the most at 0.6 grams high

I'll shoot some pool with these pristine Dynasphere Bronze balls in the next few days.
My Palladium balls are also more of an off-white (this is in contrast to my friends platinum set which are more a brilliant white) - I think the palette depends on the model of balls. I quite like the cream/yellow-ish colour.

Weight in grams:

CB 168.9
1 169.1
2 168.4
3 168.8
4 168.3
5 168.8
6 168.9
7 169.0
8 168.3
9 169.1
10 168.7
11 169.0
12 168.8
13 168.7
14 169.2
15 169.6

Avg. 168.85 grams
Median 168.85 grams
Mode 168.8 grams
variation 1.3 grams
Minimum 168.3 grams
Maximum 169.6 grams

Seems like the 15 ball would be the heaviest what with all the extra black ink for that fat font. Better adjust your aim for that 4 ball.

pt109

WO double hemlock
Silver Member

Weight in grams:

CB 168.9
1 169.1
2 168.4
3 168.8
4 168.3
5 168.8
6 168.9
7 169.0
8 168.3
9 169.1
10 168.7
11 169.0
12 168.8
13 168.7
14 169.2
15 169.6

Avg. 168.85 grams
Median 168.85 grams
Mode 168.8 grams
variation 1.3 grams
Minimum 168.3 grams
Maximum 169.6 grams

Don’t worry about the yellow cue ball….usually it means it’s new. If you leave balls in a box, they tend to go yellow….
I tend to look for a yellowish cue ball…it means it’ll be the right weight.
(mind you, old used balls that have been put away for quite some time will go back to being yellow….just use them.)

jjohnson

Registered
I've spent at least 10 hours now playing these Dynasphere Bronze.
I think they are just fine.
And the price is very very good.

I've been thinking that technology is getting so good now and available so widely that the competition for pool balls and cue sticks is driving prices down. It is all about the technology and not the brand name.

Think, maybe, Rhino or Raven. Any others?

Rickhem

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I finally opened up the Dynasphere Bronze balls that I got as a Christmas present. These will replace a set of Dynasphere Tungsten balls that I've been using for about a year now.
First impression when taking them out of the box was that I liked the sound they made. Pushing them into a cluster sounded better. I know that is completely subjective, but I noticed it right away. They play well, and even my GF says she likes this set a lot better than the Tungstens. The white on the stripe balls is really white compared to year old Tungstens, and I like the "font" of the numbers better too.

Set on the rail is the Bronze set, the one in front is the used Tungstens.

Attachments

• Bronze 1.jpg
    Bronze 1.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 93
  • Bronze 2.jpg
    Bronze 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 90

dendweller

I finally opened up the Dynasphere Bronze balls that I got as a Christmas present. These will replace a set of Dynasphere Tungsten balls that I've been using for about a year now.
First impression when taking them out of the box was that I liked the sound they made. Pushing them into a cluster sounded better. I know that is completely subjective, but I noticed it right away. They play well, and even my GF says she likes this set a lot better than the Tungstens. The white on the stripe balls is really white compared to year old Tungstens, and I like the "font" of the numbers better too.

Set on the rail is the Bronze set, the one in front is the used Tungstens.
I just got a set of these bronze yesterday. I've been using aramith super pro, wanted to put those in a bag to bring to the pool hall for occasions when I get a bad set there.

The bronze look as good as the super pros to me. As far as play, if you switched them out on me when I wasn't looking I'm pretty sure I would not have known the difference except the tick mark on the 6 and 9 on the bronze set.