Best commentator in pool

Cornerman

Cue Author...Sometimes
Gold Member
Silver Member
Grady and Billy were by far the best team ever, sharp analysis and razor sharp wit, but there are plenty of other good commentators. Nick, Shannon, Danny D (at least when he's paying attention), Karl Boyes, etc.

And that English guy who's always doing the Mosconi Cup and other Matchroom events is the best "play by play" announcer of them all, even if he doesn't do much in the way of analysis. In many ways he sounds more like a basketball announcer with his often excitable style of speaking, but after a while it's grown on me.

Schmidt's only problem is that he gives out superlatives so much that after a while it seems as if he's never seen a bad shot. But I think he'll get better with more practice.

I agree with FunChamp about Mark Wilson, and the way he and Jeremy keep repeating the same point about fundamentals can get to be more than a little annoying. And the way Jeremy keeps getting surprised by shot selections that anyone watching the stream could see coming makes me wonder what's wrong with their vantage point.
The vantage point from most booths are simply horrible. We’re almost never on top of the action.

tableroll

Rolling Thunder
Silver Member
Hey folks I just wanted to post this.
I was up late last night watching Nick Varner play Johnny Archer . The match was commentated by Justin Collett and John Schmidt.
John was hilarious.Very sharp, very funny as well as being extremely knowledgeable.He had me laughing many times. He is the best commentator in pool in my mind.
You won't see this guy very often doing commentary but if you ever get a chance, listen to him. He is very good at explaining the game. Talking about Darren Appleton. I like Appleton, Incardona and Earl Strickland as commentators.

tomatoshooter

You won't see this guy very often doing commentary but if you ever get a chance, listen to him. He is very good at explaining the game. Talking about Darren Appleton. I like Appleton, Incardona and Earl Strickland as commentators.
I like those guys, too, but in the matches I watched with Earl commenting he's a bit too focused on the analysis. They are great to watch for that but I don't think it's the best style from an entertainment perspective. He is still an entertaining guy to listen to but it's definitely for the students of the game. Tom Kelly was great on the old ESPN matches, I thought he did a great job of conveying the excitement and balanced out the player analysis. For a broad audience appeal, I think it's important to have an expert and a non expert in the booth.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Barry Tompkins spotted Mitch the 7
Grady Matthews. Best ever.
grady was great but he whistled through his teeth as he spoke, and this error 101 keeps me from being able to listen to him

i know i know he is legendary and a pool player not a thespian

but someone could have easily corrected this and noone ever did

not the best ever-
for me that’s steve davis

Brookeland Bill

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
Shannon Daulton, Jeremy Jones, Cardone, Rich Grenier, The Beard, and John Schmidt. (Not necessarily in that order.)
Jones is my least favorite. He doesn’t know when to back off. Has to tell us how smart he is. If he’s that way with the Americans at the Mosconi Cub, he’s a distraction. I turn the sound off when he’s talking.