Best Earl Strickland Stories/Quotes

Krypto

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I remember watching Earl play an unknown in the Derby City Classic several years ago. The guy missed too many shots to hang with Earl, so he lost the match quickly, as he should have. Well, the guy moans to his friend that he never had a chance, and he started mouthing with this excuse and that. Earl heard the excuses and there was no way he was going to let the comments slide without a response. "Never had a chance?" he asked as he walked to the player, his face beginning to flush red. "You had plenty of chances, every opportunity in the world." Earl said with his excited voice squeeking and his hands outstretched in the air. Earl then grabs a few balls and recreates multiple situations on the table that his opponent had flubbed, and he shows his opponent exactly how he gave his opportunities away. I thought this was pretty cool. Apparently, Earl doesn't like cry babies himself (smile).

Even with all the negative comments on this thread, you have to ask yourself what does Earl do? Well, Earl is a professional pool player. Earl does what he has to do to win and make a good living playing pool. His winning focus cuts no break to any opponent, especially himself. His antics are designed to disturb his opponents, especially the good ones. But I have never seen him do it duting the match, only afterwards. Earl makes sure his opponents remember him, and maybe even dislike him. Think about that sometime. If his opponents are thinking about what an ass Earl was the last time they played, their own game will suffer, not his. Earl, is a master at what he does in every way. I personally think he is one of the very best to ever play the game. After all folks, that's why we are all here talking about him isn't it?

huckster

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
bigg7 said:
I was there the day Earl tanked to Jamie Goodwin at the Ohio state open in Akron.I like most of the younger guys came to see Earl but what I ended up seeing is still the worst display of sportsmanship by a professional pool player I ever witnessed.After conceeding 5 or 6 racks to get it to hill/hill earl misses a ball staight in to lose 11 to 10.After some sh*t talking to the crowd he tells Joe Kerr that he wasn't going to play this tournament anymore and he only came because Starchers paid his expenses.As if that wasn't enough a local 12 year old asked for his autograph and he told him he didn't have time to sign fu**king autographs!Joe Kerr wrote a article in pool and billiard about the whole thing.I would still pay to see Earl play

I have also seen Earl very privately inquire about what gifts (candy, movies, etc) would be acceptable to bring to the kids at the Akron burn unit. Earl may be an a**hole when he is competing, but away from the table he is a nice guy. My first experiance with Earl was in Canton Ohio he was giving an exhibition at Academy billiards and only about 30 people showed. He went on to give the best exhibition I have ever seen. He heard I was Don willis's grandson he invited me and my girlfriend to have dinner with him. He relayed the story of meeting my grandfather at a tournament in Cleveland very early in Earls carrer. He introduced himself to my grandfather and my grandfather sweated Earl's match against Jimmy Mataya.

StraightPoolIU

Brent
Silver Member
I think a lot of these things that we are talking about only occur because Mr. Strickland wants to win so badly, and in his case he often does. I will fault no man for that.

Leil gay

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
If you read the whole thread quite a few people agree,i've played the Pearl at least 7-8 times and never had a problem! Once i beat a telephone pole until my knuckles were bleeding and beat awheelchair player buddy and roommate at DCC 7-0, so i understand a temper and the will to win.

Last edited:

unknownpro

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
juanbond said:
I'd love to hear some great stories about this extremely colorful player...anyone?
Once I was playing Earl and down 8-0. He has a 6 ball frozen on the rail just above the side pocket and the cueball close to the rail below the same side pocket. He shoots it and catches the point of the side pocket with the cueball, it deflects the cueball so that it hits about half the 6 ball and no ball touches a rail. I called a foul. Earl says what? I said you didn't hit a rail, the 6 was frozen. He thinks for a second about the shot and then just says, "You didn't call it frozen."

Pete Horne told me that he was out at a bar with Earl looking for a game once when they were both teenagers. They couldn't find anybody to play, so they played each other. Pete got up a few games and Earl left his stick on the table and went to the bathroom. After a while Pete went looking for him and couldn't find him. Pete got in his car and started home and found Earl walking down the highway, miles from home, because he was so pissed off!

At the U.S. Open one year, Earl and Shannon Daulton were arguing about who was the better player. Earl said he'd beat Shannon at 9-ball and straight pool. Shannon said he'd win at 9-ball, 1-pocket and banks. Earl told him he was crazy, he couldn't beat him at nine-ball, and 1-pocket was just a game for old men and crooks.

unknownpro

JoeyA

Efren's Mini-Tourn BACKER
Silver Member
Earl should hire the famous sports psycholgist, Bob Rotella

I don't know if Earl could afford him as do the many other big money sports athletes but it would be a good investment for Dr. Bob Rotella to take him on as a client regardless of the amount of money he charges Earl. Earl could only profit from the relationship.

I always look for the newest accessory that Earl will be sporting from the special ighted glasses, to the gloves on both hands, to the taped fingers or even the portable battery operated fan. He is truly innovative and doesn't mind trying something new.
JoeyA

Brian in VA

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
My Earl Story

I was running a regional retail firm in NC and Earl did an appearance for us. The night before, he came to a get together of the brass of the company and did trick shots for us and then offered to play any of us. I stepped up to play a race to 6. He gave me the first break and I broke and ran the rack. I was using a Cuetec signature model of Earls at the time and said, "It must be the stick!" He never said a thing although he did smile politely. After racking the balls for the next game I broke dry. Earl picked up his stick and proceeded to run a six pack on me including a nine on the break to win the set. I racked them myself and he just kept hammering them! During the run, he was so focused it was amazing! Never said a word, didn't make a change in facial expression, just made runout after runout. He told me after I shook his hand that I ran that first rack so well that he was worried I might show him up. :) I told him, "No one can show you up Earl!" I wish he'd remember that!

I love to watch him but his behavior often disappoints me. I hope he starts acting like the HOFer he is!

Brian in Va

vagabond

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
unknownpro said:
He thinks for a second about the shot and then just says, "You didn't call it frozen."

unknownpro

According to the rules Earl IS CORRECT. You are required under the Law to tell your opponent that the ball is frozen.Let us not condem him for everything.:cool: