"Best of" vs. "Race to" in Snooker

phil228

Coming from a pool background, where everyone is playing in a "Race to" mode, I'm quite fascinated by the fact that Snooker still uses this "Best of" approach, rather popular in the American playoff formats (NHL, NBA, etc.)

Is there a particular reason why Snooker matches are then played in "Best of" formats rather than "Race to" formats? Wouldn't it be easier for the audience to know, how many games one has to win in order to win the match rather than calculating that from the best of?

At least to me, a "Race to 18" is more clear than a "Best of 35" game goal - and I honestly never witnessed a case where all matches of a "best of" format are played out, if the winner is already decided.

Am I missing something here or what's your opinion and thoughts on this?

DaveK

Still crazy after all these years
Silver Member
Coming from a pool background, where everyone is playing in a "Race to" mode, I'm quite fascinated by the fact that Snooker still uses this "Best of" approach, rather popular in the American playoff formats (NHL, NBA, etc.)

Is there a particular reason why Snooker matches are then played in "Best of" formats rather than "Race to" formats? Wouldn't it be easier for the audience to know, how many games one has to win in order to win the match rather than calculating that from the best of?

The arithmetic is about 2nd grade, not a big imposition on the audience.

If you watch snooker you will notice that the audience applauds when a players run gets them to the snookers-required score. If they can do that arithmetic they can certainly figure out the match winning frame count.

At least to me, a "Race to 18" is more clear than a "Best of 35" game goal - and I honestly never witnessed a case where all matches of a "best of" format are played out, if the winner is already decided.

Correct, once a player gets the clinching frame the match is over. However the tournament schedulers need to account for the full match.

Am I missing something here or what's your opinion and thoughts on this?

Not sure you are missing anything, but perhaps not recognizing that there are differences.

We in Canada say "grade 2" while it seems that US folks say "2nd grade". Is one right and one wrong ? No, they are just different ways of saying the same thing.

Dave

“Best of“ isn’t hard to work out, it’s just the way it’s always been done. Anyone who watches snooker knows exactly what it means, I’ve never known anyone confused by it.

markjames

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
i’m from the us and been watching
snooker for years and it still confuses me

Swighey

AzB Silver Member
Silver Member
I think "race to" is a relatively new expression. "Best of" or even "first to" imply a fair game with alternating breaks. "Race to" fits winner breaks better, although it is also used for alternating breaks. It also suggests lots of action. It's crossed over to the extent that it is used almost universally in English pool at the pro level.

I like "race to" and and agree it's a more natural expression and clearer. Much like "rail" is beginning to make inroads in English pool (and maybe eventually snooker) in preference to "cushion", and "pot" will eventually consign the clumsy verb "pocket" to history in the USA.